One Day in Brussels

Search

One Day in Brussels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One Day in Brussels

My husband, 23 year old son and I will be taking the EuroStar train from Paris to Brussels in November. we will be in Brussels for about 9 hours. We would like some ideas of what we should definitely see/eat, etc. for our time in Brussels.

Thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Up!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:15 AM

My wife and I have been to Brussels a few years ago.

You could visit a museum or two and spend your time in the Grote Markt (Grand Square), which is one of the most beautiful in Europe.

You might want to read my trip report for Belgium, to see what we did in Brussels for three days and you may get some ideas.

Here it is (Manneken Pis, French Fries and Mayonnaise)

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34825183
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:17 AM

just came back from a trip to northern France/Brussels - was in Brussels for 2 days...

In 9 hours, I would see the Grand Place and the Mannekin Pis... also, I thought a very interesting spot was a section of a few streets where it's just seafood restaurant after seafood restaurant... most of them stand outside and hawk the tourists as they walk down... quite an experience... however, I did have the best boulliabase in my entire life (actually went back the day we left for another one) at one of the restaurants - Le Vieux Bruxelles... like our concierge said - 80 restaurants, about 3 of them good...

Anyway, I wouldn't miss some mussels (I love Lyon, also on the same street)...

To get to the street, you walk out of a corner of the Grand Place towards the covered mall-type area... walk through the beginning section of the mall, then turn left... you can't miss it...
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM

If I was taking the Eurostar to go anywhere from Paris for a day, I would go to London, not Brussels.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:45 AM

We too took the train to Brussels for a day trip. A friend from Antwerp met us and gave us a city tour. We saw what was already suggested, and then some, as our friend is a very good guide (not professionally) and was born and raised there.

The absolute highlight of that day, was a visit to the Art Nouveau/Deco home of the architect Horta. We were not aware of it nor him, but our friend surprised with the visit, not realizing our love of this period.

If you too like that period, the house is magnificent - the woodwork, windows, furniture, staircase... I don't know if we'd go back to Brussels, although we did enjoy ourselves, but we go back to the Horta House in a flash.

We had lunch and quite a few other goodies, chocolate, a waffle, etc, but e didn't stay for dinner. we took a train back to Paris, arriving in time for a later dinner.

It sounds like your time frame is the same as our's.

Nina
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:53 AM

The must see is the Grand Place and the ancient streets nearby. Take a walk around the city; you have some good ideas above. The old-style Galerie St. Hubert is nice if you want to visit an enclosed mall. For restaurants we didn't get to sample the local fare opting for a Chinese resto. near the Grand Place entrance, but, again, you've got good ideas above. However, there is a section of small alleys called the Ilot Sacre that has what seems like an endless amount of restaurants which seemed to be tourist traps. In my opinion, the city is a bit gritty apart from the old section at Grand Place.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Twice I've daytripped to Brussels and both times loved the beautiful Parc de Bruxelles with the Royal Palace at one end. It's several blocks east of the Grand Place which makes for a nice walk.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. It sounds as though we'll be able to hit many of the suggested spots.

We, too, are seafood lovers so I'm sure we'll enjoy the mussels, etc.