Brussels or Bruges

Search

Brussels or Bruges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels or Bruges

I'm trying to decide on where to go for a day while in Paris. I don't even know if I spelled Bruges correctly now that I look at this.

Anyway, my wife and I are in our mid-30's (wow that sounds old to me!) and are going to be in Paris for a week, then have two extra days on the back end.

We are going to be staying in Paris on points. I'd like to do the same if we end up in Brussels (Marriott, Hilton/Conrad, Starwood).

First, however, can someone who has been to both give me a run down of "if you like this, then go here" items, or otherwise highlight the strengths & weaknesses of both cities?

We enjoy walking around, aren't huge art fans but enjoy a very good museum, like popping into shops and otherwise just seeing "stuff."

Any help is appreciated as are any comments on any specific hotels in Brussels.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:17 PM

I took a trip to Brussels for a couple days with a day trip to Brugge (I think both of our spellings are correct).

The Brussels Marriott is well located near the Bourse for strolling and seeing stuff.

You could take the Eurostar from Paris and be in Brussels (Brussel, Bruxelles) in less than 2 hours. Then a subway or taxi ride to the Marriot.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Bruges (pronounced Brooj - go soft on the 'j' - almost a 'sh' sound, but harder)....Brugge (pronounced Broogeh -it's more like Broog, but with a slight 'eh' on the end)....both spellings are correct.

LOL...does any of that make sense?
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:49 PM

I only visited Brussels on a daytrip from Paris. While I really liked Grand Place and the few ancient streets surrounding it, I did not care for the rest of the city which I found unattractive.
I had seen pictures of Brugges and I think I would have enjoyed visiting Brugges better than Brussels.
Maybe others would be able to stay in Brussels for more than one day but that was more than enough for me.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 08:13 PM

I spent 2 days in Brussells and one day in Brugges several years ago. I found Brussels to be rather boring, but Brugges I thought was one of the most beautiful, romantic towns in Europe. I think Brugges is highly underrated, & I highly recommend it over Brussels.

Its good if you like a quaint small town, with canals & boat rides, plenty of shops to browse for things like lace and chocolate, beautiful churches and quaint restaurants.

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Hi mdtravel,

You don't mention what time of year you are going. My wife and I are going to Brussels in mid March and are assuming the weather won't be the greatest for walking around outside. But then again we like museums. Our strategy is to use Brussels as a base for a day or two and then take a day trip to Brugge.Just my two cents. As far as hotels, I usually find the cheapest (of those you mention) and/or the one that gives the most points.BTW we are in our mid fifties!

This board is great for all kinds of suggestions.

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Good point about the time of year. We will be there the last week in May. I would think the weather would be fine at that time for strolling. It is sounding more and more like Brugges over Brussels.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:49 AM

If you need more info on Brugge (Bruges), check out the city of Brugge website:

http://www.brugge.be/

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:15 AM

Hi MD,

I wouldn't go as far as Belgium for the day. Why not TGV it somewhere within France? You'll save on travel time & still get a different perspective . . .

The Champagne region, Strasbourg (if you want timbered houses), Rheims, even Dijon/Burgundy are within daytripping reach. Just a thought - Brugge will be a busy tourist trap that time of year (it's beautiful but will be totally heaving with people in May - I've been & wouldn't go again during high season).

What you really want is a morning of sightseeing, an awesome lunch, and wandering in the afternoon with some gorgeous scenery. France has more of this than Belgium, IMO.

Good luck with the planning, HTH!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:23 AM
ira

Hi md

I also recommend Bruges over Brussels.

Ealing also has good recommendations.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:57 AM
JMM

Brugge = Flemish spelling
Bruges = French spelling
Both are correct but since Brugge is in Flanders, that would be the preferred spelling to the locals.