Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One Day For A Teen To Shop In Berlin-Where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 18 year old daughter will be traveling to Berlin, with a group, later this month and has 1 free day. We have taken her to Europe before and she is comfortable navigating public transportation. She would like some suggestions for an area with a good number of cheap chic clothing stores. We are familiar with H & M but don't know of any other stores she might like. Could some one suggest any area with a good number of stores and the names of those stores? Here she likes Express, BeBe and Gap but she wants a more European look with Target type prices. She's at camp this week so she does not have access to the web and I have volunteered to help with her search. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Well the last time I was in Berlin was spring of 1990 and that was only for 1 day(We had a "day of shopping" in Munich and decided to make the trip to Berlin since the Iron Curtain fell not too long before this point)... Right out of the train station there were ALOT of stores... we really didn't spend much time in them until later in the day while we were waiting for the train... our main goal was the Berlin wall and a little time in East Berlin... I can't tell you store names or where to get "Target" like prices... my advice would be to have your daughter just explore... why limit herself to just what people suggest? When it comes to shopping, nothing is better than exploring it all!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Intrepid

Tell her to stop in at the Ka-De-We..the biggest dept store in Berlin..she'll enjoy that whether she buys anything or not. The food hall is legendary!
Target prices? not sure where but if it is THERE I suspect she'll find it!

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Still looking for names and locations of stores with trendy clothing/shoes.
Does anyone know of a street/area in Berlin with several of these types of stores? Since time is limited would love to know about this in advance. Thanks.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 04:42 PM

I found the prices to be more reasonable in the eastern part of Berlin. The stores around Ka'dum, etc. are too pricey. There's a shopping center across the street from Postdamer Platz that has tons of shoe stores and even has an H&M. There are also lots of shops along Friedrichstrasse, as well (head south from Unter den Linden). Berlin is a great city for shopping!