ONE BAG RULE IN EU AS OF JUNE

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I just read a post stating that as of June, all EU will be one bag only rule - does anyone know if this is correct? We will be traveling there at that time and need to know in order to decide the old train vs flight question. Most of our travels will be by train, but was considering the trip from Paris to Nice by air until I read that post. Can anyone help t clarify? Thanks to all who take their time to reply.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:05 AM
lawchick

http://tinyurl.com/28q83p

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:03 AM

It starts April 17.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Yesterday we flew from Paris to Frankfurt and only one piece of hand luggage was allowed in the cabin, but you can check your other luggage.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:09 AM

What question is the poster asking?

Carry-on luggage will be limited to one per passenger from April 17. Or at least that's what the EU says: most non-British airlines still seem in denial about this. The rule will apply to ALL flights departing any Western European airport - including your flight home.

The EU has no rules - and no intention of creating any - about the number of bags you can check in after April 17, though some airlines do have limits. If it's checked in bags you're asking about, you need to consult the airline concerned.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Does the one bag carry-on ruling allow women to also include their purse? In other words may I carry on my purse and a my usual carry-on bag?
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM

One bag means one bag. Period. Put your purse into your carryon when you go through security.

When you board the aircraft, it depends on the airline's own rule.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM

As I understand it, no...hence the problem for ladies. I've read that if want to bring a "regular sized" carry on, your purse/day bag must fit within. Even if it did, that would be a major pain....to be getting inside the bag within a bag every time I needed passports, boarding passes, etc.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM

In September, travelling from London, they already asked me to put my purse in my carry-on bag, as only one bag was allowed.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Giovanna, as I understand it you can take only one peice of handluggage - whether that is your purse, handbag or regulation size bag is up to you. Everything you wish to carry on board must be in that one piece, including jackets etc!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:17 AM

No, one bag means that you can only take one bag through security, not one bag plus a purse plus a camera bag plus a plastic bag of magazines.

You can however put all your bags into one bag and then once through security take them out again
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:19 AM

<<< Everything you wish to carry on board must be in that one piece, including jackets etc! >>>

No No No, there will be no restrictions on coats - and you can put small items in the pockets.

You will however have to pass jackets through the scanner so if you do have to put stuff in pockets ensure that it can't fall out
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Thanks for all the responses! I was afraid this was the case and now it is certainly confirmed with this many answers and personal experiences.

As much as we love Europe, it seems to be getting harder and harder to travel there for a number of reasons: Airfares are astronomical, the exchange rate stinks and now this inconvenience. Sadly it may be a long while before we return. Other destinations are looking more and more appealing. Buenos Aires was fabulous in 2005. We've never been to Asia but are very interested in Bangkok and Hong Kong for starters. It's a big world.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM

It isn't an inconvenience at all to put your handbag inside your carry on to go through security. You can carry it separately at all other times. It makes security checks quicker and easier. Just allow enough space in the carry on.

Carolena
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Jackets and coats do not have to go in your carry on - just other bags!

Carolena
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I have been in the habit of putting my purse inside a carry-on bag for awhile - when I want to do carry-on only. This way I get my regulation-sized rollerboard and a daypack/messenger bag on the plane and still have my purse. For logistics, I take everything out of my purse that I will need for the airport and the flight and put those things in a pocket on my daypack/messenger bag so I can access them without having to get into my purse.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Is this for security reasons or are the airports and airlines getting stranger?

If it is intended to "speed" the security screening, just how does cramming all that stuff into a single bag help? I expect it will slow things because of the excessive number of items we'll all try to fit into a single bag will confuse the X-ray operator, then they stop the conveyor, call their associates over to look at it, and then make you take everything out to go through it by hand. How does that speed this process?

Maybe I'm just having a "negative" moment.

MvK
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:02 AM

I can see how it could speed the security screening, as a lot of the time involved is due to the number of items. They don't get "confused" by numbers of items in a bag. What shows up on the screen as questionable is what draws scrutiny, not having more items. A lot of bags just go through as nothing unusual shows up, and I can see how that would speed things up.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM

Obviously Carolina you don't consider a purse what I consider a purse. Mine are very large and always have been. I'm not a clutch-bag person, who can cram it in a carry on bag. I consider this just another inconvenience in the questionable name of safety. You obviously think it's reasonable and that's your prerogative. I don't.

Whether I carry one or two pieces on board seems to make very little difference in terms of speeding things up. They've both always been placed on the conveyor for x-ray and rarely needed further inspection. And I disagree that lots of items DON'T confuse x-ray. Just read today in the EU regs on carry ons that crowded bags create lots of shapes and block out others, necessitating hand inspection.

Flying just keeps getting funner & funner!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Ok I'm glad it doesn't include coats! I'd read somewhere that it did. It will be hard enough for me anyway as I always take my camera gear on board as handluggage, and the rucksack is so full of camera stuff I was worried about taking a book on, but I can stuff that in a pocket. Whew!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -