On The Road Again, Europe By Car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2013, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With four of us traveling, we decide the best and most economical way to explore a part of Europe for 10 days is by car. Although we have a tentative itinerary to make it to Auschwitz, how we get there and back from Amsterdam is fair game.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Netherlands, Seeing Amsterdam Like A Dutch

We arrive at Schiphol Airport (AMS) on an early morning flight and after picking up our rental car we head on the A-10 for Central Amsterdam. Finding a paid (E$5 per hour) parking spot on a side street, we set off to explore the city on an already hot summer day.

This is not my first time and hopefully not my last time in Amsterdam, so it is sort of a trip down memory lane as I share this wonderful city with family.

From years ago, one of the things I enjoyed about being in Amsterdam is eating at the “Falafel Stands” where you can eat all the interesting vegetables and olives you can stuff in a pita. I am disappointed to discover one of my favorite stands is gone.

With hunger pains knocking on our stomach doors, we settle for a sub par lunch for E$32. I knew when we stepped into the restaurant and a can of Coke was E$3, we were in for trouble. No doubt this is our last sit down restaurant meal for the next 10 days, at least at those prices.

In a city that moves quite a few people on two wheels, I know one way to see it like a Dutch is by being on a bike. With that in mind we head over to Green Budget Bike where for E$6.50 per bike we set off on a 3 hour self guided tour of Amsterdam.

Our first destination is towards Anne Franks house then Vondel Park. All along the way we enjoy beautiful scenery along with unique buildings and canals in this vibrant city. From Vondel Park it is back to Central Amsterdam then towards the famous “Red Light” district for a “Fockink Experience”.

At Wynand Fockink we do what many have done here from the late 1600's. We slurp our first taste of the good stuff from a tiny fluted glass and then savor the rest of the fruit flavored liquors that we have chosen. We have just had a “Fockink Experience” that should not be missed if you visit Amsterdam.

Next, it is time for probably one of the best deals in the city. At Hema, for E$0.50, a delicious, smooth and flavorful soft serve ice cream is enjoyed as we people watch before our 3 hour bike tour comes to an end.

Walking back towards the Central Station, I am reminded why I love visiting Amsterdam and I am glad that over the years I have had the opportunity to share being here with family and friends.

Video:http://youtu.be/JztCqpK_zNA
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 01:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ttt
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 02:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you think food prices are high in Amsterdam then definitely avoid Switzerland
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 02:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Which I see you are going to do...wise choice.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Dukey1,

Yes, no Switzerland for me unless I inherit a Swiss Bank Account in the next 10 days or so
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Hangin Near Hitler

We enter Germany and I have one regret, there are no signs along the highway like in the United States welcoming us to the land of great food, beer and the “Autobahn”.

A stop at a local McDonald's and we are surfing the web for E$4.95 (24hrs access) to find hotel rooms for the night. Our best choice is about 25km away and with the E$2 special of a Coke and a Caramel Sundae already enjoyed, we set off south on A33.

Leaving A33 we are pointed in the direction of Hitler but our final destination is in Bad Laer. Of course we are curious about the historical connection to the area we will be hanging out in for the next twelve hours or so.

At Landhaus Meyer we settle in for the evening and discover that we have by chance come across a quaint accommodation for the night. From our first floor patio we enjoy the silence of a wide open night landscape as we count a few stars in the moon lit skies.

A nice breakfast is served the following morning and we get to see more of what we think is a very unique property and then a little confusion occurs at check out. Our reservation was made for Haus Monter Meyer which is located a few kilometers down the street.

On checking in the previous night, between us speaking no German besides “brats” and the wife of the gentleman checking us out speaking little English is where our problem began. However, a phone call to the other property and we are told it has all been taken care of and we are charged the same rate we had previously booked.

With our minor problem behind us we set off to continue our journey to Berlin but not before making a stop in the town of Hitler for road trip provisions. At a local grocery store we spend about E$25 and feel like we got a bargain compared to spending E$32 just for lunch the day before.

Back on the road I do something I never do at home or have done nowhere else but in Germany, I put the pedal to the medal and watch my VW Polo slowly accelerate to about 160km/h.

I am figuring at this speed about 100mph we will be in Berlin in no time. No time at all.

Video:http://youtu.be/lTchp8dPgQQ
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 07:28 PM

That's it you will hear no more from DMBTraveler, the police stopped him for speeding and he is some small town jail in Germany.

Did you have time to visit the Anne Frank House.?
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 07:38 PM

I am reading this to people in a sleep clinic with excellent results.
Old Jul 25th, 2013, 11:48 PM

A couple of comments. You could have had a very nice lunch, for a good price at Hema, or V&D.
If you had visited a McD (or a LaPlace) the Netherlands your internet would have been free. Or did I misunderstand you about paying at a German McD?

How long did you stay in Amsterdam? Did you really drive to Germany the same day as you arrived in Amsterdam? Where did you arrive from? I am glad I wasn't on the road that day if you really flew from the US, spent a day in Amsterdam and then drove to Germany.

Anyway I am looking forward to the next installment.

And no this is not a hate post, just some genuine questions about your trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Percy,

I had previously visited Anne Frank House. On this particular afternoon as you can see from the video the line was very long to get in so we decided to keep pedaling...

I made bail... so we are back on the road again somewhere in Poland
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

BigAleinstein,

Glad to see you back on another one of my post, I guess it woke you up
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

hetismij2,

You or anyone else for that matter should not be on the road while I am driving..

You are correct about Hema (E$2 Hot Dogs) and McD in the Netherlands

In Germany McD wifi is a hotspot that you need to be able to receive a text message to a mobile phone in order to get one hour free visit.

After purchasing Wi-Fi time, we used our "Google" number to get the free hour for our mobile device but you first have to have an internet connect to get your G-mail.

We arrived in AMS well rested as is always my plan when traveling... I have done this enough times that I know the routine (go to sleep on your destination timetable and do stay up watching movies, etc). I am fortunate to be able to do this and often have minimum effect from jet lag.

I never consider genuine comments or questions "hate posting" unless they come from someone at a sleep clinic who seem to always wake up just to read your postings
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:07 AM

Are you really that obsessed with what everything costs? I'ld hate to continuously count money when on holiday...

Anyway, stay in the far right lane if you're doing just 160 km/h on the Autobahn, okay? .

Have fun!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Original Poster

The-lonely-traveler,

I am not obsessed with what everything cost, I am just a budget minded traveler that wants to get the best bang for my buck.

For example, we just spent the day in Berlin and spent E$3 per person to see a view of the city instead of E$11. My point in posting prices is so other can see there are alternatives to doing things.

Others do the same in their postings and that is how we were able to save E$8 per person (E$32) and still take in a bird's eyeview of beautiful Berlin.

It is amazing that I do have to stay in the right lane even at 160kmh. Even then others make me look as if I am standing still
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 02:20 AM

Please either write euro, use an E or better yet the €sign when talking prices. There is no such currency as Edollar.

Even living in the Netherlands I doubt I would spend a day in Amsterdam and then drive to Germany. I certainly wouldn't do it after an overnight flight, no matter how well rested I may feel.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 05:27 AM

This is not hate mail. A SIL was in San Francisco and sent a post card, that was Haight mail.

DMB's account is like IKEA instuctions without the Allen wrench.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 06:48 AM

What is E$? Do you mean €?
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 08:29 AM

Will look at your Amsteram video again about the ANNE FRANK lineup

In Berlin did you go up to the TV tower for the birdeye view.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

hetimij2,

Unfortunately, I have an American keyboard so I am working with what I have. Maybe you can send me an International one for Xmas.

Did you know that in 1971, Americans flew to the moon and even after that long journey they got out of their lunar module and drove around.

While I am no astronaut, flying to AMS they driving to Germany is not really all that big of a challenge.

We all travel differently, part of what makes our own travel experiences unique...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -