Reload this Page >

On the beach in August, not too crowded

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:11 PM
Gary

My wife and I love the beach. We will be traveling to Europe in August with our 11 year old son. We would like to be on, or a short walk to, the beach. A good beach, by which I mean, you can lie in a chair, read a book, swim in the water, without people blasting you with a radio from every direction. This good beach would be reasonably close to towns where we could eat good simple food, fresh fish. I have looked into the Algarve in Portugal, but people tell me it is a zoo in August. The South of France?? Are there places slightly off the beaten track that aren't too jammed with tourists? Greece? Southern Coast of Spain. I know I'm casting with a pretty broad net, but if anyone had advice, I'd appreciate it.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Judy

Gary, I LOVE the beach too! And I am very curious if such a place exists. I would think parts of Ireland and Scotland could have some deserted beaches, but in S. Europe, I really doubt it. Fodorites? August in Europe is there BID vacation month. Maybe they(Euopeans) will come here? Judy ;-)

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 02:18 PM
StCirq

I have been wracking my brain to think of a beach I know in Europe that isn't wall-to-wall people in August, and while there are certainly many beaches I haven't been to, the few dozen I know (in Italy, France, and Spain - including both coasts of Spain and France) are just packed that time of year. Even the beaches in Jutland that we visited in August many years ago were towel-to-towel. Heck, even the Tunisian beaches were crowded. Does it have to be a beach? Could it be a lake? We spent a week on Lake Maggiore in August a few weeks ago and although there were lots of people it was still fairly serene.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 04:33 PM
Linda

IMO, the only uncrowded "European" beaches you will find are in Australia. I'm not trying to be facetious, but the fact is that all of Europe goes on vacation in August and they head for the beaches, if not the one in their own country, then in the country next door. Even the stony, rocky beaches are very crowded. You've got a tough row to how with this quest.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 05:13 PM
Robert

Ever considered Croatia? <BR>Cavtat is a charming village near Dubrovnik. Croatia Hotel situated in Cavtat is a deluxe hotel and lies on a peninsula overlooking the Adriatic. Unfortunately I haven't stayed there but sure would love one day.<BR>From Cavtat, boats departure daily to Dubrovnik (only 7nm away) and what to say about Dubrovnik? One of the best places I've been. Many excellent restaurants, bars, museums, churches...and of course - walls! The town is completely surrounded by its 1.5mile long wall... A must experience!<BR><BR>http://www.hoteli-croatia.hr/<BR>http://dubrovnik.laus.hr/<BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 03:32 AM