Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

On-line French/English Dictionary with Spoken Pronunciations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Lisa

I'm sure there must be an on-line dictionary where you can also hear the pronunciation of French words! I haven't found it, however. I got interested when I couldn't figure out how to properly say "accueil" (as in Au Bon Accueil...the great restaurant with so many raves on this forum). <BR><BR>Has anyone found the definitive dictionary? <BR><BR>Lisa

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:51 PM
mpprh

hi check out these sites.<BR><BR>Many have sound pronunciations to help you -<BR><BR>http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=french+lessons<BR><BR>peter<BR><BR>

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:53 PM
KenCT

http://www.yourdictionary.com/languages.html

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Nancy

Look up travlang.com You will need to download the RealAudio as noted on the site if you don't already have. Doesn't take much time and travlang is very good.

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:55 PM
StCirq

Second vote for travlang - the speakers are native and the directions easy to follow. For basic travel language skills, it's a great site.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Betty

If I am not mistaken, the sites that have been mentioned so far do one of two things: 1) give a few hundred set words and phrases with pronunciation or 2) give a few thousand words with translations but no pronunciation. I do not know of a site where you can, for instance, type in or choose any one of thousands of French words and hear it pronounced for you as well as see it translated or defined. I think this is what you are looking for, isn't it, Lisa?<BR><BR>However, if all you need is pronunciation, I found a site back when we were discussing the pronunciation of "Aix," where you can send an e-mail (to yourself or anyone else)in English, French, German or Spanish (I think) and you can hear it spoken using synthetic speech. To me, the French is quite comprehensible. I am taking the liberty of sending you, Lisa, (assuming that is a real e-mail address) the sentence "Nous allons diner ce soir Au Bon Accueil." See what you think.<BR>The site is http://www.serveurvocal.com/

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:11 AM
x

Can anyone recommend a good CD Rom program for the computer for Beginning French. I'm taking group lessons, but I really need to supplement them because I'm the dunce of the class!

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Lisa

Thanks everyone for the info! Betty is right...I was in fact looking for a "just put in the word and hear it" function. <BR><BR>I had tried travlang and several of the others...all good in their own way. But without the ability to just type in a word and hear it. <BR><BR>Betty, I have tried sending myself several emails to no avail. Perhaps the send time is extra long...it's been an hour so far. BTW, my email address is [email protected].<BR><BR>It has been interesting trying to find this dictionary and I've dug up alot of other interesting resources...the journey is the reward, as they say! <BR><BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Betty

That's funny, Lisa. I have sent myself several e-mails using this site. You click on "FR - Essayez maintentant," fill in the e-mail addresses,whether you want a man's voice or a woman's (I think the man's voice is clearer), type the message, and hit "Envoyer." It usually appears in your inbox in a matter of 30 seconds or so. I've just sent you the same message at this e-mail address. (I'm wondering who may have gotten the first one - it didn't come back as undeliverable - if they speak French they must be wondering who they are having dinner with at Bon Accueil tonight!) I hope this works and you can use the site successfully. I've never tried just typing a single word, but I don't see why that wouldn't work as well.

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Lisa

Betty,<BR>Betty,<BR><BR>What a trooper you are! I've just sent myself a 3rd message, all using your sentence, all off the French part of the site just to make sure. Lost in space! <BR><BR>I've also sent you an email and that bounced back. Maybe there's a gremlin in my email system. In any event, I'm determined and will keep trying that site. Thanks for the lead!<BR><BR>Lisa<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Betty

Sorry you're having so much trouble, Lisa. Did you get the e-mail I sent you using the site? When you e-mailed me did you reply to the one I sent you or did you use the one above? The one I use when posting on Fodors is no longer valid. I use it still hoping it will lessen the chance of my receiving spam. If you want to e-mail me, substitute charter.net for home.com in the address above.

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Byrd

<BR>Lisa-<BR>You might try this; it looks interesting, but I haven't had time to try it yet. My husband found it in a magazine.<BR><BR>www.frenchtutorial.com<BR><BR>"Sa y bye-bye to Berlitz with these free online French lessons. This site introduces you to basic vocabulary and pronunciation, using audio and simple step-by-step tutorials"<BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Sue

Betty, what a hoot! I've been sending myself stupid messages in English and French. I was wondering if this would be a good site to use with my blind brother, but I think his talking computer works better since you have to click on the attachment. I'll try it though just for the ducks of it.

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Lisa

Betty and all others,<BR><BR>I finally got my emails from servuvocal.com! They are great...this is a good way to just type in a word and hear it. The "French man" is indeed much easier to understand than the "French woman". <BR><BR>If you try this site, remember that it may take a while for the emails to get generated back to you (in my case all 4 came to me in one fell swoop in about 3 hours). <BR><BR>Thanks all for the info. Case closed. <BR><BR>Lisa