On discussing politics in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner, with whom I'm about to travel to Europe, loves to discuss politics with Europeans (we are American). He especially likes to find out what the people we meet think of the present U.S. administration and also to let them know that many Americans, including himself, find said administration despicable. I feel uncomfortable with this behavior. I believe that sex, religion and politics are not things to be discussed with people you have just met. Moreover, I'm assuming that the Europeans don't enjoy being my friend's "survey group." I'd feel condescended to if I were in their position. That said, the agreement is that he can discuss these things when I'm not around. And just so you know, aside from this, he is nearly perfect I was just interested in everyone's opinion, especially Europeans (who are, sadly, probably all sleeping now...)
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM

You know I like politics discussions as well and had a few on a recent trip to France and Italy. The thing is, I never bring it up. I let them. They are free with their opinions and it can make for interesting conversation. But again I never initiate the subject.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM

I wouldn't bring it up with complete strangers, but if you've been talking for a while (hour or so, at least), it could be appropriate, if tactfully and respectfully done (if your partner wants to invade their country, it's probably best not to, but if he's fairly mainstream, and you're talking to fairly mainstream Europeans, it should be fine and likely quite interesting, especially as most Europeans I've met have fairly strong opinions on politics, and are often, though by no means always, better informed about international politics than Americans).
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM

I think most Europeans are more comfortable discussing politics than we are. They more knowledgeable about our politics than we are of theirs, and also very aware of the fact that many of us do not agree with the current administration. But I think it's better to let them bring up the topic. . . if they want to. I think he will have trouble finding anyone who doesn't agree with him, so it's not likely to lead to heated conversation in any case.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Hi Guy, friends in Italy love to talk politics and we always do. But like you I don't discuss politics with strangers. And I agree with grsing that a lot of Europeans do seem more aware of the world than a lot of Americans. I believe there is a place and time for everything and it is good to know what is the proper place and time.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:30 PM

If you and your friend were guests in the home of strangers, would you think it would be good manners to bring up political discussions unless your hosts, of course, initiated the topic?

In our more than 40 years of travel abroad, we have followed this rule: we are guests. And we behave always with that fact in mind.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Guy,

I see nothing wrong with it providing it comes up naturally in conversation and it is discussion not argument.

And we aren't all asleep over here ;-) (nearly called myself European but that wouldn't do given my views on the EU - whoops, politics already).

Michael
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies thus far. I'm glad to hear that I'm not being overly sensitive or censorious. The analogy about being guests hits the nail right on the head. In that case one lets the hosts take the lead...
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:44 PM

The visitor analogy sound and is a policy I try to adopt myself. On the other hand as host to visitors to my country I should willingly respond to their questions if politely asked.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM

First of all, I don't see why it should be bad manners to discuss politics - heaven, no! That's one of the most important and most interesting things to discuss in this world; and what should be wrong about talking interesting issues even with strangers? (My roots are European, as you might already guess.)
Second, it depends on where you're going. In some European countries, especially if you are coming from a country administrated by a controversial government (and, yes, the WBush government IS controversial), it might very well be the first thing complete strangers will ask YOU - "what's your position towards your president?" The Netherlands are a very good country to experience that...
Third, it is true that many Europeans are quite knowledgeable on international affairs - but not on America or American internal politics. But, as for the opinions of your partner, don't fear many hostile arguments - maybe the most important improvement in European knowledge about the USA has been achieved thanks to the huge enthusiasm Michael Moore has roused in Europe. "Shame on you, Mr. Bush" won't be the entirely wrong way to put it, thus...
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Oh gosh, if someone were to actually ask him what his position toward his president is, it would be the highlight of his trip and we'd definitely miss a train or something...
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM

I think that sex, religion and politics are fascinating topics and definitely should not be off the table for discussion, so long as everyone participates in the discussion voluntarily.

Some of my most memorable experiences in Europe have come from those types of discussions.

However, I also think we in the US are incredibly narcisistic and are rarely able to articulate any kind of grasp of the current political environment of the countries we visit. "Enough about you! Let's talk about me and the U.S. some more. By the way, do these pants make my butt look too big?" If I were European, I'd find that king of self-obsession sophomoric and annoying.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Just relax. An interesting political discussion, especially on a subject as thrilling as the different political cultures of Europe and the USA, can be more rewarding sometimes than taking a train in time... And I swear, I've experienced that myself: "what's your position towards your government?" - not only in the Netherlands, but e.g. in Italy as well, or in Liechtenstein (of all places); and I can very well imagine it happening in Germany, in France, maybe even in Belgium or in Austria...
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM

Excuse me, my response was meant to Guy once more. I fully agree with you, Mary.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I also agree, Mary. Perhaps I feel that it would be more appropriate to ask what the waiter, or desk clerk, or seat companion thinks of HIS president...only after finding out what the president's name is, of course!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Europeans don't generally know much more about US domestic politics than we do about theirs (varys from person to person of course; many Americans can't name even the US secretary of state, while some can rattle off all the heads of state and some of the ministers and leaders of the opposition in Euro countries, in addition to our own). They'll know Bush, and likely Condi and Cheney, but that's about it; international politics is where they are generally much more knowledgable.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
KT

Just a thought, but I wonder whether your partner might be interested in joing Servas, which is (quoting its website) "an international network of hosts and travelers building peace by providing opportunities for personal contact between people of diverse cultures and backgrounds." I've been a Servas traveller and a Servas host, and it provides a great opportunity to meet people, discuss politics, and learn more about what's going on politically in other countries. Of course, discussions aren't limited to politics--Servas members' interests range all over. Their US website is www.servas.org.

I've had many conversations with Europeans about their politics and ours, and I generally find that Europeans and the British don't like their political leaders any more than we like ours.

Just about the only conversation I avoid is about the British monarchy, unless I already know the person I'm talking to shares my views on the subject. But it's not a very interesting conversation anyway!

KT

No, it's not. It's www.usservas.org. The other site is for Servs International, of which US Servas is a part. Sorry.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
KT

Yikes. My "no it's not" was meant as a follow-up to my last sentence, not Nessundorma's. Sloppy posting on my part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -