On a Sunday in Menton

Search

On a Sunday in Menton

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:50 PM
lekker

On a Sunday in Menton

Please help Fodorites!

We will be in Menton on a Sunday, 24 April 2005. Question is - should we spend the day in Menton, or go by train to Nice? Will anything be open anywhere? And is it possible to get off at Eze - and worth it - with the steep way up to the old village? How far is the train station? I have been to Eze once but that time we travelled by car and I did not pay attention to the train station. We have the whole day for ourselves.

We will be in Menton for the Sunday because we arrive late Saturday evening by train from Milan and would be waiting to pick up our rental car early on Monday morning.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Helen

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in Menton in late November and a lot of restaurants, etc. were closed for the season then but expected to reopen in January or so. Even so, the town is lovely and so walkable. Feels homey but quiet at that time of year. They had already put of christmas decorations and it felt festive, though. I just consulted my Michelin red guide for France. Looks to me like several places (hotels and restaurants) are open straight through or reopen about mid Dec. after being closed in November--must be their most down month. Of course, lots of places in Nice show open at that time as well.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:07 AM

Well, how embarrassing. I read your post pretty quickly and for some reason jumped to the conclusion that you'd be in Menton on Christmas Eve. Missed that April stuff completely and then accidently ran my mouse of the post button. Sorry. I was creating a much bigger problem than you think you have. My post makes no sense in view of your April date. That's much easier so let me try again.

On a Sunday in April you should have no problems in Menton. It seems like more restaurants close on Monday than Sunday there. It is afterall a resort area and I'd expect weekends to be their peak time, including Sunday. I prefer Menton to Nice--smaller, easier to get around, more homey, cute. Especially if you're set to pick up your car in Menton, stay there. Sorry I can't help with the Eze by train question.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:05 PM
lekker

Thanks so much for the response! You have confirmed what I considered might be the best - to stay in Menton and walk around and relax!

I wish I could be there for Christmas - April still feels so far.

Kind regards

Helen

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:52 AM

I was in Menton on a Sunday last May. The restaurants were open though some of the shops were closed (looking back, I think it might have been a holiday-Labor Day). They did have a large bustling outdoor market (like a flea market) with vendors selling all kinds of antiques, pottery & other stuff.

If you decide to go to Eze by train, check your guidebooks carefully. Even though I had taken several guides, I didn't check them & just took off for Eze one day (from Nice). When I got off the train I found it was a 15 minute drive up the hill to Eze. Fortunately there was a small tourist office right by the stop with a very helpful guide who arranged for me & a small family to share a taxi to the village (cost about 25 euro). I then learned there was an inexpensive bus service to/from Nice (I don't know if this is also available from Menton).

I agree with Julie and much prefer the charm of Menton to Nice. However, Nice has its charms as well. You could easily spend a few hours walking around Menton then take the train to Nice and spend the afternoon/evening there.

Have a wonderful trip!

Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:37 PM
lekker

Thanks to the two of you! This sounds like a good option now - morning in Menton and afternoon, early evening in Nice. I am happy to hear about the market on a Sunday!