Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Old Schoolhouse Hotel in Ballsbridge, DUBLIN: Yes or No?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for a quiet room in Dublin for September. I'm a very light sleeper, easily awakened by street noise or noisy people in hallways...or thin walls between hotel rooms...

Has anyone stayed at the Old Schoolhouse hotel in Ballsbridge, Dublin? It sounds like they might have some quiet rooms, judging from the tripadvisor reviews.

Thanks for your opinion. Ideally I'm hoping to get a good night's sleep in a quiet room with air conditioning (helps to block out sounds), in a charming accommodation that has at least a suggestion of romance, in a good location for visiting central Dublin.

I'm also open to suggestions of other quiet rooms in Dublin.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Did you check Trip Advisor? Very positive reviews and one even mentions the quiet neighborhood.

There is a pub and restaurant, and based on my experience in Dublin, I'd ask if they turn it into a late night disco at night.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

sheri_lp: Yes I did check the tripadvisor reviews. Just looking for more info from people who have stayed at the old schoolhouse but maybe haven't posted a review on tripadvisor. Or suggestions from light sleepers who found a quiet room in Dublin.

Good idea to ask them if they turn their pub and restaurant into a disco at night...yikes I hope not. I can also make sure they don't have an event scheduled on my nights (no wedding parties, etc.)

Many accommodations have some quiet rooms and some noisy rooms. That makes it harder to find a quiet accommodation by using tripadvisor. But once I have selected a particular hotel or b&b, tripadvisor comes in handy to figure out which are the best rooms or which rooms to avoid.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Hi Melissa:

I've stayed at the Pembroke Townhouse in Ballsbridge and liked it. The area itself is pretty quite and the Pembroke was no exception. I don't really know anything about the Old Schoolhouse though.

http://www.pembroketownhouse.ie/

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

<b>wojazz3:</b> Thanks, it helps to know that you found the Ballsbridge area fairly quiet. I'll also look at the Pembroke Townhouse, thanks, in addition to the Old Schoolhouse Hotel.

I spent a lot of time narrowing down which hotels in central Dublin have the most comments about "quiet" rooms, according to tripadvisor reviews. The Merrion and the Shelbourne get a lot of comments about quiet rooms. But only the expensive rooms were available at the Merrion for our dates, and the Shelbourne was full for our dates.

I came across The White Cottages in Skerries on Alastair Sawday's web-site and tripadvisor, but that's getting quite a ways from Dublin. We only have 2 nights in Dublin. But The White Cottages did look tempting. They appear to be sandwiched between a road and the sea...so not sure if they get noise from the road.

The Old Schoolhouse Hotel in Dublin does appear in the Fodors guidebook for Ireland.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 08:57 AM

I had good reviews for Pembroke when I went and was traveling with a larger group so I checked it out pretty well. I liked it and would stay there agin though it's a good hike to the city center. I think we ended up walking all the way to the Brazen Head from there and did a lot of walking in between. Late that night we decided a cab ride back was a better idea. There is a great pub about halfway to the city center. I'll look it up for you.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

<b>wojazz3:</b> Sure, yes, I'd love to hear about the great pub that is halfway to the city center, thanks.

Hoping to book an accommodation for Dublin soon as I want to move on in my trip-planning.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 07:02 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, but we stayed at the Schoolhouse Hotel in May of this year, in the George Bernard Shaw room (bottom floor, patio had steps up to street level). It was very quiet, charming, clean, beautiful leafy townhouse neighborhood, comfy king-size bed, rather large room for Europe, free wifi and on-demand movies, fairly good breakfast included. Also one of the very few with free parking. They had a lovely patio scene in the evenings, but it was definitely not a disco.

It was a bit of a walk to the tourist sites; fine with fresh legs in the morning, but difficult at night when we were tired from a long day of walking (even though we are fit 30-somethings). There are several buses that run down that road, so in the evenings we'd hop on around Trinity and ride for all of 2 stops just to save one more mile of walking (one driver was so kind as to let us ride for free since it was just 1 or 2 stops).

The airport shuttle we took (can't remember the name - it's the orange and blue one) picks up and drops off right at the Schoolhouse, so that was very convenient with luggage!

So my short answer is: I highly recommend the comfortable, charming Schoolhouse if you don't mind a lil extra walking or a short bus ride when you're tired.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Melissa5-
I stayed at the Old Schoolhouse with my wife and two other couples for 2 nights in September of 2009. We had a lower level room and it was very quiet. The pub on the main floor was nice and was not loud. I agree with meriberi about the distance from the main sites, but that is a trade-off for more quiet at night. There are restaurants in the neighborhood if you wish to have a shorter walk in the evening. The staff was very accommodating.