Reload this Page >

Old London: three walks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 09:45 AM
Ben Haines

I have just replied to an enquirer, and think others may like to see <BR>my note. She was saving money: of course there are a dozen walks a <BR>day with guides, at about five pounds, lasting two hours, or so. <BR> <BR>------------------------------------------- <BR>The City is old, has beautiful (and ugly) parts, and is just over the <BR>river from you. So I think that at your arrival airport, or in the <BR>bookstall in a station, you would not waste money if you were to buy <BR>the AZ Visitors' London atlas and guide at three pounds, a very small <BR>book (no weight), spiral bound, that gives clear and detailed maps oif <BR>the City and West End. Then you could try a few walks, off the bus <BR>routes. <BR> <BR>-------------------------------------------- <BR>One idea is the Monument, Fish Street Hill, Eastcheap, Philpot Lane, <BR>Lime Street (with a visit to Leadenhall Market, where there are good <BR>pubs for lunch, and to the new Lloyds Building), St Mary Axe (with a <BR>visit to St Helen's Church Bishopsgate, a church not burnt down in the <BR>Fire), into Liverpool Street station to admire the roof, a drink in <BR>Dirty Dicks, up to Spital Steet, into Old Spitalfields Market, , <BR>across to Christ Church Spitalfields, and so along Hanbury Street to <BR>Brick Lane. <BR> <BR>------------------------------------------ <BR>Another walk is this. London Bridge, Cannon Street, the Temple of <BR>Mithras, the tourist information kiosk south oif St Paul's, Carter <BR>Lane (cheap lunches and suppers at the Youth Hostel), drop into one or <BR>two of the yards south of Carter Lane, back to Carter Lane, <BR>Apothecaries' Hall, Blackfriars Lane, the pub called The Black Friar <BR>(to see its decor), up to Blackfriars Station to see the destination <BR>list from a century ago, under the road to New Bridge Street, left <BR>just before Ludgate Circus to St Bride's Lane and St Bride's Church, <BR>back to Tudor Street, into the Inner Temple, see the church of the <BR>Knights Templars, continue westwards, ask any passing lawyer the way <BR>to the Devereaux Pub (good lunches upstairs), up to the Strand, visit <BR>the Royal Air Force church of St Clement Danes and ask to see the <BR>monument to Polish airmen, along the Strand westwards, at Surrey <BR>Street drop fifty yards and look for the gate towards the Roman Bath, <BR>see that, back to the Strand, see the Courtauld Gallery (entry is free <BR>on Mondays from ten to two), cross Lancaster Place, see the Chapel of <BR>the Savoy, walk boldly into the entrance of the Savoy Hotel, find your <BR>way to the other entrance on the riverside, leave that way, on Savoy <BR>Place turn westwards, enter Embankment Gardens when you can, at the <BR>western end of those ask for Gordon's wine bar on Villiers Street, <BR>have a glass of something, go through the tube station to see the view <BR>of the South Bank theatres and galleries, walk up crowded Villiers <BR>Street, cross the Strand, and see the new monument to Oscar Wilde. <BR>See St Martin in the Fields church (but don't hear evening music there <BR>as it's poor stuff, whereas their lunch time recitals are ok), find <BR>the big Post Office, goto the little entrance opposite the National <BR>Portrait Gallery, and buy nicer stamps than they sell in normal post <BR>offices. <BR> <BR>------------------------------------------ <BR>Now a third. Over the bridge, up King William Street, see the free <BR>museum of the Bank of England, into Gresham Street, see the Guildhsall <BR>and St Lawrence Jewry, see St Anne and St Agnes (if it's open).. You <BR>are very near the Museum of London, if you want that, but it takes <BR>half a day to see properly. You're also five minutes from the <BR>Barbican, with free jazz and recitals about six some days, and the <BR>Guildhall Schoool of Music and Drama, with free music concerts and <BR>recitals: you can get detail by phone. Now through Little Britain to <BR>the Hospital of St Bartholomew, where the Great Hall is interesting, <BR>and the church of St Barthomolew the Less. After which you go north <BR>to the twelfth century church of St Barthomolew the Great, then see <BR>the meat market at Smithfield, and visit the museum of the Order of St <BR>John of Jerusalem in St John's Gate. So fifty yards north to <BR>Clerkenwell Road (a dull stretch), along to Hatton Gardens, and see <BR>the jewelry quarter. Back westward along boring Clerkenwell Road and <BR>Theobald's Road, and at the police station turn north up Lambs Conduit <BR>Street. Nothing special, but plum full of cheap places to eat (except <BR>on Sundays). You can look at Coram's Fields, the garden and small zoo <BR>at the north end of Lamb's Conduit Steet, but may go in only if <BR>accompanied by a child: these were the rules that Captain Coram <BR>(friend of Handel and friend of children) set down in the eighteenth <BR>century. You're now five minutes from Russell Square, and fifteen <BR>from Blomsbury, but you've walked far enough. <BR> <BR>------------------------------------------- <BR>Please write again if I can help further. <BR> <BR>----------------------------------------- <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 5th, 1999, 11:03 AM
s.fowler

Thanks Ben! <BR>What a useful post [as all yours are.] <BR>I'm saving it for my next warmer weather trip to London! <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 06:26 AM
L.Zeev

Hi, Ben <BR>thank you for posting the 3 walks in <BR>London . <BR>It is refreshing and I am sure all the <BR>fodors members will find it usefull. <BR>I myself will do some of it in my trips <BR>to London. <BR>Thanks again <BR>bye <BR>L. Zeev

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 07:03 AM
ANNE

When I saw the title of this, I thought "Maybe that's Ben again with his wonderful insight and ideas." And sure enough it was! Thanks so much! I'm printing this out for our next time in London.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Beth Anderson

just doing some research, thought someone else might like this...

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 08:03 PM
topper

To the top.

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 02:17 PM
kam

Just to add one small note to Ben's always appreciated and valuable posts--would recommend reading Edward Rutherford's London before going. We found taking walks such as these are a great way to spend a Sunday in London when it's a bit more peaceful than during the week.