Old email addresses are back!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is new. Our screen names are now links to all our posts, on any forum.... hmm, should it be that easy to find what everyone has written about?<BR><BR>Also, if you call up pre-registration posts, the email addresses are back, which I think is an improvement.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:32 AM
rex

Wow. It's a radical change! The best of the old with the best of the new (I think). There are going to be bashers and praisers, no doubt.<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:07 AM
rex

And indexing by &quot;screen-name&quot; truly is instantaneous. Not that surprising, from the standpoint of how it might be implemented.<BR><BR>Makes me wonder if the next step is access to a voluntary profile, for those (of us?) who feel like sharing info on our travels or any other info on ourselves with others. Like virtualtourist.com perhaps?<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:28 AM

This is an interesting feature. It actually makes it easy to find threads to which you've posted without having to scroll down to look for them. I'm surprised that it works across all the forums. This should be useful. Now I'm crossing my fingers that they're working on the edit capability next.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:39 AM

I absolutely love this....keep up the good work Fodors!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 04:41 AM

This IS cool. I just wish that all of our posts pre-registration would be included too.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Also, if you want to search for a particular screen name but don't have a link to click on, just put <BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums_reg/threadselect.jsp?screen_name=<BR><BR>followed by the screen name you are looking for, into your browser, and the list of posts for that user comes up. Clearly I don't have enough work to do today....
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:50 AM

Unfortunately, it's case sensitive. *sigh*
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:25 AM

Couldn't have asked for a better change to a &quot;newly registered&quot; forum!!! Keeping my fingers crossed that the majority like the new feature as I do....but if not, then hopefully no one is terribly upset<BR><BR>Best wishes.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:35 AM

The best feature of the new system is that I brought up my own threads and found answers to two of my questions that I thought had gone unanswered. I thought I return here enough and had checked often enough that they had not slipped by, but a couple have. I also ran into a post that I had replied to but someone had asked me for further information. Because I had never returned there I didn't even know about that. Being able to so easily review your own posts is great.<BR><BR>But it is also a little embarrassing to see how much time I spend here. I know I go back and forth from here a lot, but when I look at my list of posts, it appears I really do live here!!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Wow! Thanks, Fodors! Although I was happy to let some (most) of my old posts fade into oblivion, this is a great new feature.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 07:39 AM
LJ

Thank you, Fodors: best feature yet!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:46 AM

If I understand correctly - the link will only show posts I've made SINCE registration won't it?<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Kavey:<BR><BR>Amazingly, it looks like it's pulling up old threads to which I've posted under other names before registration!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:53 AM

Although I always posted under this same name and registered under the same email address I always posted, mine only brings up posts I've done since Jan. 28 or so. <BR>But where are the email addresses that you are talking about? I did a couple searches of old posts and didn't see any email addresses listed??
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:12 AM

I LIKE IT!! It was very frustrating to not be able to find posts from the past few days except by scrolling. Especially on the Europe board which is by far the most active, causing posts to drop off the first screen very quickly even when they had a couple of replies.<BR><BR>Also, I have had direct emails from people who pulled up my old posts and wanted additional info. I don't mind this, because it made me feel a little less frivolous for the amount of time I spend here. Seems more valuable if the info is still around and useful months from posting.<BR><BR>However, I trust you all realize this means the most trivial remark (like this post of mine, for example) will be hanging around &quot;forever&quot; and repeatedly pulled back up!
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:22 AM

The old email addresses are not appearing, and based on some our concerns adn requests for privacy, it appears that Fodors is not intending to show them. It looks like if you want your email address to appear that you will need to post it within the text of your message.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Art

I have looked up several old posts and do not see any email addresses.<BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Okay, I looked earlier when I read this thread and they were showing. Looked under the same thing just now (my email address) and they are not showing...surely I'm not dreaming that it happened...
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 09:39 AM

I doubt you're dreaming - probably they were shown by mistake during work on the site or they decided to show them and then changed their minds soon after.<BR><BR>It does look as though the link only lists posts made since registration which makes sense - those are the only posts they can verify were made by the same person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -