Search

Oktoberfest - Here we go...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oktoberfest - Here we go...

Hello all,

My best friend is getting married next year and has just now decreed that he wants to go to Oktoberfest (2011) for his bachelor party. (If you searched my name, you'd see I was planning a Scotland/Ireland trip during that time, but such is the price of true friendship).

Anyway, I am completely new to the game. I realize flights, hotels and everything in between are going to have skyrocketing prices for Oktoberfest, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep things relatively inexpensive? I don't think we're completely committed to staying in Munich if there are better options out there. It will probably be 6-8 of us, does an apartment make sense at all?

I've read up a bit and know some about the tents and the little ins and outs, but in terms of trip planning, any and all help would be great appreciated! The best times to be there, ease of train use if staying outside Munich, really any pro tips for us rookies.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Topping this, as I have some of the same questions...

Hope all goes well for the <b>jhawker</b> crew!
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 07:54 AM

<<I realize flights, hotels and everything in between are going to have skyrocketing prices for Oktoberfest, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep things relatively inexpensive?>>

And if you wait tool long, there will be no more hotels rooms and apartments available. So decide quickly and book NOW!
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 08:06 AM

too long
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 08:09 AM

An apt. makes the most sense for a large group like yours.

Here are a few:

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren.../munich/r10813

Look at the maps view and addresses very carefully to see exactly how many blocks they are from a subway (U-Bahn) station they are. Some of these are central and convenient to the U-Bahn, many (most?) are not. Look at the reviews for clues as to a more precise address.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Due to cost and lack of availability, we decided to extend our stay in Salzburg and train in from there when we go to Oktoberfest this year. It is about a 90 minute train ride. You could also stay in Augsburg which is closer, maybe 30-45 minutes.

I believe you are probably too late to try to book any tables at Oktoberfest in advance. You should try to attend Monday-Thursday during the day to have the best chance of getting a table for all of you to sit at.

If you stay in Munich make sure to stay near a U-bahn / S-bahn station.