Florence-Apartment locations

Apr 5th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Florence-Apartment locations

I have my choice between three well equipped, reasonably priced apartments with lots of amenities (washer, dryer, DSL, a/c, plenty of sleeping space.) Every map I have of Florence is not complete (i.e the streets are split onto different pages and it is confusing to pinpoint locations.) I went to our specialty travel store yeswterday to buy a Streetwise map and they were sold out! Will try again today at Borders.

If you are familiar with Florence can you briefly comment on the locations?
THANK YOU

Borgo Ognissanti "2 blocks from Piazza Repubblica." I like this one the best because it's close to the station (I will be taking several day trips plus meeting people with luggage) but I fear being close to the station could also be a big drawback if it's seedy.

Via del Giglio "150m from the Duomo"

Via della Rose "near San Croce"

Apr 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Perhaps you can post the links to the various apartments and then people can provide you with feedback re: location and the look of the apartments?

It may be that some Fodorites have stayed either in the same apartment, or very near the apartment and having an idea of the exact location, type of apartment, etc., might garner some more feedback.

I have always stayed with friends in Florence, so can't help with the apartment reviews, but can provide ideas re: location, etc., if I had a better idea of where the apartments are located exactly relative to the sights.

Eg. "near Sante Croce" could mean any number of things - next to the river, N, S, W, E, of the square?

150m from the Duomo, in any direction, can mean any number of different scenarios of neighbourhoods, etc.

The center of Florence is very small, so 150m actually is quite a big distance.

-camelbak
Apr 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM

You can very easily locate these apartments on google maps. Just plug it (something along the lines of "Florence, via del Giglio") into google, and instead of choosing "search" choose "maps". Google will bring up a lovely map that you can scroll and zoom as you'd like. You can choose the satellite or hybrid views to get an even better idea of the area (Florence has got very high resolution).

Both Borgo Ognissanti and Via del Giglio look very convenient, and Via del Giglio is probably even closer to the train station (in addition to being close to the Duomo). The area around the train station is not so seedy that I'd avoid staying there.
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Borgo Ognissanti is a very busy street. Many car rental agencies are located there, many small shops, and two fine hotels. So, I would be concerned about how quiet the apartment on that street might be.

Incidentally, Borgo Ognissanti is the location of a very fine Last Supper in the refectory of the Chiesa Ognissanti. The entrance is to the left of the church and is only open three mornings a week, Mon., Tues., and Saturday, from 9-12. Another favorite place of mine on Borgo Ognissanti is the very fine ceramics shop, Ceramiche Rampini: http://www.rampiniceramics.com/home_it.asp. (Their ceramics studio is in Radda in Chianti.)

For convenience to the train station, I agree that Via del Giglio is a better option.

Apr 5th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

I waited too long, now only VRBO #13314 is left. I hope it will be OK!

THANKS for your comments!
Apr 6th, 2007, 05:58 AM

The apartment looks great, and I think you'll be perfectly happy with the location. Have a great time and let us know the details when you return.