Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

OK, So You Travel Smarter Than Everybody Else....

Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, we keep hearing about you out here...

You can go to Europe for a WHOLE MONTH with only one carry-on bag

You always buy every ticket on line including the PREMS from SNCF..of course you're up until 3 AM on the first day of the third phase of the lunar cycle of Uranus at the exact moment these things appear for their brief shining momemnt but boy did you ever save a whole TWENTY E URO...WOW

You NEVER take out insurance when you rent a car and you ignore all parking tickets and nothing bad has ever happened to you and why would anybody evenm be stupid enough to take the time to get an IDP...that's 15 minutes you could have been spending at Starbucks

You know EVERY SINGLE booking code that every airline uses...you do NOT take the time to even glance at W or Z people and you make sure you are able to push to the front of the boarding line so we can SEE that you are IMPORTANT. We're still waiting for that trip report from your recent weekend trip to Thule, Greenland so you can maintain "premier-grand poo-bah" status in your FF program. Where ARE the pictures????

You have been going to Europe for "twenty years" and if there is something mentioned here that you HAVEN'T HEARD ABOUT then obviously the poster is lying..some people will post ANYTHING to get attention.

You refuse to reveal your "favorite hotel" because you know if you do we'll find out it is a shack.

You have SIM cards for your cellphone so you save a FORTUNE on calls...too bad nobody ever calls you..even Grandma your cheap babysitter and the kids are glad you went away...

You still think those pieces of minute steak they call "steaks" in Europe are real meat....
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I guess you know me very well, Dukey, but I would never use a mobile phone to save money on calls. For one thing, I don't feel the need to make any calls, and if I did I would buy a phone card to use at a public phone, which makes the price of a call to a place like North America less than $0.01 per minute. I giggle like an idiot when I see people posting here about their wonderful mobile phone deals letting them call for "only" $0.20 per minute.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Not me. I just finished my something-teeth trip to Europe (I don't keep track) and I made some real bonehead mistakes. But some of those make the best stories once you've gotten safely home again.

I brought a cell phone but it was my company's and they paid for all the calls that I was required to make. Otherwise, I would be very happy to be completely disconnected.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:32 AM

By the way, I don't carry on. I don't want to become one of those people fighting for overhead space and it feels wonderful to be rid of my luggage as soon as possible. Besides, who wants to carry all those little 3 oz. bottles?
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:41 AM

You forgot I speak six languages.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Don't use maps and have never been lost either.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:43 AM

And I wish European women would quit grabbing me. Do they not have their own hunks over there??
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Schlubs like me intrude on and are nosy about other countries and cultures; you however experience things beautifully, correctly, and are loved everywhere.

You forgot that I ate at this year's best restaurants last year for a fraction of the cost.

Grassshopper - as one who once spent two days stranded in the terminal at STL, I can assure that not carrying anything into the cabin is a sub-optimal strategy.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM
DRJ

And, of course, I only fly in the front of the plane. (Pass the Champaign.)
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:02 AM

I spent two days stranded in Atlanta in January. I got a hotel and stopped at a department store.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Do I sense a little frustration/annoyance Dukey?

As for the ongoing discussion of "to carry-on or not to carry-on"... my favorite way is to take toothpaste and a toothbrush, a tiny bottle of mouthwash, 2 changes of socks, bras and panties, deordant and wet wipes in my day pack (also what I use as a purse when traveling). It's amazing how much better you can feel with just mouthwash, wet wipes and fresh undies.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, I forgot! I don't need to carry on or look for cheap places because I already live in Paris.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM

You bought a Paris Museum Pass at Chatelet/Les Halles metro station last year.

You recommend restaurants you've never visited (or haven't for many years), some of which are no longer in existence.

You say "if you go there, be sure to tell them I said Hello". I did this once, just for chuckles, at a restaurant and the owner/host looked at me with horror and said, "He's not meeting you here today, is he?"
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Bravo, Dukey!
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Wow! With so much disdain for your fellow travelers, why DO you even bother to come here?
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:34 PM

I never thought I was smarter than anybody until I started posting here.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM

spot on dukey......enjoyed the sarcastic wit....sometime it actually works to share a piece of hidden opinion. It's amazing what it brings out on the board.

BettyK, I don't take this post as disdain for fellow travelers, but it does uncover the fact that some folks have a misgauaged sense of self importance. I believe Dukey's post was just a "characature" of this.

D
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM

"...but it does uncover the fact that some folks have a misgauaged sense of self importance. I believe Dukey's post was just a "characature" of this."

Either that, delvino, OR it was a excellent example of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information