Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Oh, PLEASE help...I did a foolish thing!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 06:51 AM
Ellen

I went to an auction and paid far too much for a trip to Berlin, Hannover, Hamburg, and Bremmen. I have no idea what to do in any of these places, nor how to get from place to place. Italy was easy, somehow, I am feeling overwhelmed by this itinerary. Usually I plan the stops, this time, I had no control except not to have raised my hand in the first place. Any sympathy and tips out there?

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 08:24 AM
Lee

Ellen: Assuming that this is a done deal and you are in it to stay, it may work out fine. <BR> <BR>There is plenty to do in Berlin. It is a fantastic city with much to offer: Culture, history, entertainment, it's like a little "Paris". Hamburg is a city that is well worth the trip, also. As are Bremmen and Hannover, which are all in the same region, pretty much. <BR> <BR>You would be able to take a train from city to city, very easily and use the mass transit system when in that particular town. It won't be a problem as the German transit system is easy and efficient. <BR> <BR>If you provide more details like what season and the dates for each city, you will get lots of ideas on what you can see and do. <BR> <BR>Good luck and don't be glum. <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 09:14 AM
Jeanie

Ellen, <BR>Don't worry, Berlin is a great city. You will find plenty to do and see there. I especially loved the museum at Checkpoint Charlie. I have heard a lot of good things about Bremen too. My boyfriend has spent quite a bit of time in northern Germany, including Hannover, if you email me he might be able to give you some tips. And dont' worry, the trains in Germany are the greatest - fast, clean and nice. <BR>Jeanie

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 10:15 AM
Ellen

Thank you for easing my mind a little. I guess I am just totally in the dark about Berlin and those other towns. Please keep the posts coming.

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 10:48 AM
wes fowler

Ellen, <BR>Don't despair, just be prepared to do some homework! Hamburg, Hannover, Bremen and Berlin, (particularly Berlin) are fascinating and vibrant cities. While it's difficult to offer recommendations, not knowing your interests, the duration and time of year of your trip and any budget constraints, l'll offer a suggestion or two, nevertheless. You'll find comments here in the Forum regarding Berlin but little or nothing about the other three cities which happily suggests you won't be overwhelmed with tourist crowds. <BR> <BR>To begin, pick up copies of the Michelin Green Guide to Germany and the Baedecker Guide to Germany. If you can find it in your library, look into the Phaidon Cultural Guide to Germany, as well. The four cities are all major transportation hubs and in close proximity to one another. Check the German railroad website for information regarding train travel. It's www.bahn.de <BR>Berlin, the newly re-designated capital of Germany is a beehive of activity. To escape the sight of construction cranes all over the city, visit Charlottenburg Palace and the Dahlem Museum with its unexpected collections of African, Asian and American ethnography and over two dozen Rembrandts. <BR> <BR>In Bremen, be sure to dine in the Ratskeller in the 15th Century Town Hall in the old section of town. Walk along Wachtstrasse to Schnoorviertel, an artists' quarter in the oldest part of Bremen with buildings dating from the 15th century. <BR> <BR>In Hannover, visit the Niederesachsische Landesmuseum with its fine collection of Impressionist paintings. Visit Herrenhausen, a magnificent park with a formal Baroque garden laden with statuary and fountains. <BR> <BR>In Hamburg, be sure to take a boat tour of the harbor; it's quite fascinating. For a site reminiscent of St. Mark's Square in Venice, visit the Rathausmarkt. The buildings on the square are not old (late 19th Century) but create a most impressive effect. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 01:47 PM
chris

Just enjoy!

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 02:22 PM
Al

Just do three things. l: always listen to Wes Fowler, as posted above. 2: get yourself a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to Germany, because it answers so many of your questions. 3: Have fun! You are going to great places. Been there, done that!

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 06:44 AM
Ellen

I think I am just really concerned about the kind of people we will encounter. I know absolutely nothing about the cultural climate or people of Northern Germany. In Italy, everyone was friendly, helpful, and spoke English. What am I to expect in Bremen!?

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 07:45 AM
wes fowler

Let's see if I can put your mind more at ease, Ellen, <BR> <BR>Many years ago, when I was somewhat more naïve than now, while driving from Amsterdam to the Kroller-Muller museum outside of Arnhem, I picked up three young hitch-hiking women. They were university students from Bremen who had run out of Dutch money and were hitch-hiking home rather than converting German marks to guilders for train passage. We conversed in English and I discovered they had never heard of the Kroller-Muller. I offered to take them there, stop for lunch and continue on to Bremen, and so we did. In appreciation, they offered to take me to dinner in Bremen's Ratskeller, a totally unexpected treat for me. Since it was relatively late in the evening, they offered to give me a guided tour of Bremen the following day. I couldn't due to prior plans but suggested meeting them two weeks later by the statue of Roland in the town hall square. They agreed, we set a date and time, I showed up and there they were! We toured Bremen and Worpswede, a tiny artists colony in the peat bog country northwest of Bremen. In all, a delightful and totally unanticipated experience. I subsequently corresponded with one of the young women for a number of years and followed, with interest, the development of what proved to be a highly successful operatic career of another. <BR> <BR>In that trip and subsequent ones to northern Germany I found English to be widely spoken, although the northerners are less outgoing and gregarious than the fun-loving, congenial Bavarians, attributable in part, I presume, to the strong influence of Lutheranism in the north. <BR> <BR>I think you'll find yourself fascinated by a dramatically different culture than that of Italy evidenced by the absence of the flamboyant art and architecture of the Italian Renaissance and in their place, the Gothic arts of the Middle Ages and the extreme modernity of Hamburg and Berlin. The northern Germans I've encountered seemed far more cosmopolitan and less provincial or chauvinistic than southern Germans and Italians. <BR>

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 08:58 AM
Joe

Ellen, Not so foolish after all. Berlin is not to be missed -- a world capitol coming into its own again after a bad 80 years. Now you want to save money, so try the Gendarm Garni Hotel and follow the advice on this website's hotel list. Ask for the corner suite (I think the one on the 3rd floor is furnished best). We stayed there in '97; it's on the Gendarmenmarkt, which is a beautiful square, and within an easy walk of the Unter den Linden in one direction and Checkpoint Charlie in another. It's also on the subway line. And have dinner at the Cafe Adler, diagonally across from Cehckpoint Charlie. It's plain and cheap with good stews and other local dishes, and it has atmosphere -- I understand it was a spy hangout in the Wall days, and I think it 's mentioned in Cold War novels (if anyone has a citation, I'd like to know). Finally, the Gemaldgallerie(sp), which moved from Dahlen into the city after we visited, is one of the great collections of late medieval and renaissance paintings. I hope you have a great time.

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 09:07 AM
Helen

So, Ellen, are you starting to get excited yet? Sounds like there's plenty of cool stuff at your destinations!

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 09:28 AM
ellen

Getting there! Thank you all! The hotels were part of the package. Does anyone know anything about them? <BR>Berlin - Grand Hyatt (Hyatt's are usually fine) <BR>Hannover - Le Meridian <BR>Bremen - Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza <BR>Hamburg - Palace Hotel <BR>I don't have the papers with me, so I might have the Hamburg and Hannover hotels reversed.