Search

Oh no, another Swiss pass question!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 10:34 AM
MPT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh no, another Swiss pass question!

For those of you who have traveled using one of the Swiss rail passes, specifically the Swiss Card, please answer a few questions for me.

1)Is local city transportation, such as buses, included in the 50% discount offered with the pass? For example, I would like to purchase a Geneva bus ticket or daypass.

2)If I take the Good Morning ticket to the Jungfraujoch which is already discounted, do I still get the discount from my Swiss Card in addition?

3)In searching the Swiss railsite for the Geneva to Murren schedule, I get two stations for Murren, BLM and LSMS. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Thank you for helping me plan my trip!
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 11:08 AM

1) You get reduction on fares for local city transportation only in Basel, Zurich and Zug with the Swiss Card (like the Swiss Half Fare Card) - not Geneva.

2) Yes, you get the 50% reduction on the fare for the Good Morning ticket as well.

3) Murren BLM is the station where you arrive via Lauterbrunnen - Grutschalp to Murren (on the northern end of the village)

Murren LSMS is the station of the cable car Stechelberg - Gimmelwald - Murren - Birg - Schilthorn. You approach Murren at this station if you go by bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and from there by cable car to Murren. It is located at the southern end of the village.

So, look which station is more convenient to your accommodation.

Enjoy! Ingo
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 11:15 AM

Ooops, what just came to my mind:

I am not sure if it is possible to purchase a "Tageskarte" for 52 Sfr. (day-ticket for public transportation all over Switzerland) with the Swiss Card - it is with Swiss Half Fare Card and maybe with Swiss Card. Please ask the staff.

If you go from Geneva to somewhere in Switzerland and would buy the "Tagespass" in addition to your Swiss Card, the "Tagespass" would also be valid for local city transportation in Geneva.

Just to confuse you

Ingo
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 11:34 AM

Can I tag onto this?

We are going in Nov. to Interlaken and have never been. We want to do the main sightseeing things like Jung. Excursion and the Schilthorn train trip. Other than those, I don't knwo what to do? We will be there for 3 days ONLY.

Should we buy the Swiss Pass, or not? Thank you!!!
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:33 PM

For Interlaken & around, the "Regionalpass Berner Oberland" is the best option. Check this link: http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/engl/ticket.htm
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 01:25 PM

The decision which pass to buy is not that easy. It depends how you will travel to/from Interlaken and if you will spend more days somewhere else in Switzerland.

BTW, in November you can have bad luck with the weather, so you cannot make the decision in advance whether to go or not to Jungfraujoch/Schilthorn.

Maybe a Swiss Half Fare Card for one month (Sfr. 99) is your best bet. But as I said, we need more information ...

Ingo
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Zacky,
We traveled by train from Geneva to Lauterbrunnen, stayed 3 nights and used the trains to go to Luzerne, Grindelwald, Wengen, Muerren, and then trained to Milan. We had bought the 4-day Swiss Passes and were happy we did, as it was so easy and convenient. We got 25% discounts on the lifts to Mannlichen, etc., and the rest was covered. We did have to pay for a supplement from the Italian border to Milan. The nice thing about the Swiss Pass is, if the weather isn't great, you can just hop a train and go to Interlaken, Zurich, Luzern, etc. and see some great cities.
The weather wasn't clear enough for us to see Jungfrajoch or Schilthorn anyway, so the Swiss Pass turned out to be the best deal for us.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:04 PM

Message: Earlier I posted some cost comparison figures using the Swiss Card and the Berner Oberland Regional Pass, all travel 2nd class. As the result of some comments about my figures, I though I would include the Swiss Pass, 4 day variety. The prices are based on current information posted on Internet. I claim no special knowledge; I just did the leg work to pull them together. So I have no special knowledge.

The results below are based on traveling round trip from the Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen, and taking 4 popular rides from Lauterbrunnen. They show that the Swiss Card is the best bet, followed by the Berner Oberland 7 day pass, and finally by the Swiss Pass 4 day variety for 2 adults together.

Any analysis of this type must make some assumptions, and any set of calculations can be changed significantly by changing the fundamental assumptions.

Let's look at some comparative figures betwen the cost of four popular rides in the Berner Oberland with the Swiss Pass, no pass, and the Swiss Card.

SWISS PASS
204 chf = cost of the Swiss Pass for 4 days, 2 adults buying together

COST OF MOUNTAIN RIDES IN THE Berner Oberland with NO PASS

61.40 Schynige Platte from Lauterbrunnen
(51 from Wilderswil to S. P.)
157.00 Jungfraujoch from Lauterbrunnen
90.20 Schilthorn from Lauterbrunnen
48.00 grindelwald first

356.60 sub total for 4 popular BOB trips
116.00 round trip Zurich airport to Interlaken Ost.
13.20 round trip Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen
485.80 total of all trips, NO PASS
(The Schynige Platte from Lauterbrunnen has to be figured at the cost from Wilderswil when looking at the cost with the pass because the trip from Lauterbrunn to Wilderwil is free with the Swiss Pass. Therefore the cost basis for the pass is 10.40 less or 475.40. The subtotal below is 475.40 less 25%)

COST WITH THE PASS
The pass saves you 25% on the four rides listed as adjusted, and results in a subtotal of 356.55 per person. It also removes the train travel costs between the airport and Lauterbrunnen.

204.00 cost of the pass for 1 adult
356.55 cost of the 4 rides less 25%
560.55 total cost with the pass.

Difference: 560.55 - 471.45 = 89.10.
Therefore, costs with the Swiss Pass are greater than the same trips with NO pass.

The pass is a negative in the case; you are better off without it for the conditions hypothesized.

COSTS WITH SWISS CARD
The same set of rides with the Swiss Card costs a total of 354.30 chf.
(50% 0f 356.60 + 170 for the cost of the card. The cost is based on the price currently listed on the SBB website. However, the card is hard to acquire in Switzerland and in reality, if ordered from the US before leaving for Europe, may incur a $20 shipping cost -- as based on personal experience. I will omit the shipping costs, but you may need to add it in for your own personal case.)

SWISS PASS SWISS CARD COMPARISON

The difference is 471.45 - 354.30 =
117.15 chf in favor of the Swiss Card.

While I am at it, lets do a quick set of cost figures on the Berner Oberland Regional Pass. It is get more complicated because the regional pass gives 50% off of the train fare between Lauterbrunnen and Bern, which is assumed to take place within the 7 day time window provided by the pass. All riding within the Berner Oberland is assumed to take place on a free pass day. Hang on, the detail gets to be a walloper.

COSTS WITH THE BERNER OBERLAND REGIONAL PASS
83.00 Zurich - Bern round trip 2nd class
30.60 Bern - L'brunnen round trip discounted
195.00 7 day, 2nd class BOB regional pass
61.00 Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch @ 50% off (this leg never free of cost)
0.00 L'brunnen - Schynige Platte
0.00 L'brunnen - First
37.60 Mürren - Schilthorn also at 50% off (this leg also is never free)
411.20 total cost with the Berner Oberland Regional Pass.

CONCLUSIONS

354.30 Swiss Card
411.20 Berner Oberland Regional Pass
560.45 Swiss Pass, 4 day.

The Regional Pass is cheaper than the Swiss Pass. Here is what I think is the hooker: For the Regional Pass to break even with the Swiss Card, the Swiss Card holder could find 114 chf more of rides even on the free days and still come out ahead. The pass holder could ride to Grindelwald via Kleine Scheidegg and return and still be ahead!!

For the Berner Oberland, the other two passes strike me as being bum buys.

The Swiss Pass does, however, introduce the variable of unlimited train travel on SBB trains for all 4 days. But, it is unlikely that extensive riding outside the region could be done and still take the 4 rides listed here. If you are riding elsewhere in Switzerland, you will not be in the Berner Oberland to take the rides listed. Of course it is possible to make an assumption that all mountain rides will be taken by someone commuting in from Basel each day.

If you rent a car in Zürich and drive to Lauterbrunnen, or Grindelwald, the whole set of figures change because the cost of the car can vary depending on many, many other factors. These figures are not really valid for that eventuality.

I rode the train from Munich to Zürich with the Swiss Card. My entire trip from the Swiss border to Lauterbrunnen both ways was free of charge. I paid only for the German part of the trip.
Therefore in my case, the Swiss Card was much more valuable than indicated here.

Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:33 PM

Disregard the posting above. The editor is full of bugs and did NOT post my edited version. I backup, recaptured it, and posted again in this version.
Some of the details are different.

Intended Message: Earlier I posted some cost comparison figures using the Swiss Card and the Berner Oberland Regional Pass, all travel 2nd class. As the result of some comments about my figures, I though I would include the Swiss Pass, 4 day variety. The prices are based on current information posted on Internet. I claim no special knowledge; I just did the leg work to pull them together.

The results below are based on traveling round trip from the Zurich Airport to Lauterbrunnen, and taking 4 popular rides from Lauterbrunnen. They show that the Swiss Card is the best bet, followed by the Berner Oberland 7 day pass, and finally by the Swiss Pass 4 day variety for 2 adults together.

Any analysis of this type must make some assumptions, and any set of calculations can be changed significantly by changing the fundamental assumptions.

Let's look at some comparative figures based on the cost of four popular rides in the Berner Oberland with the Swiss Pass, no pass, and the Swiss Card.

SWISS PASS COSTS
204 chf = cost of the Swiss Pass for 4 days, 2 adults buying together

COST OF 4 MOUNTAIN RIDES IN THE Berner Oberland with NO PASS

61.40 Schynige Platte from Lauterbrunnen
(51 from Wilderswil to S. P.)
90.20 Schilthorn from Lauterbrunnen
48.00 grindelwald first

356.60 sub total for 4 popular BOB trips
129.20 round trip Zurich airport to Lauterbrunnen via Bern and Interlaken Ost.

485.80 total of all trips, NO PASS
(The Schynige Platte from Lauterbrunnen ride has to be figured at the cost from Wilderswil when looking at the cost with the Swiss Pass because the trip from Lauterbrunn to Wilderwil is free. Therefore the cost basis for the pass is 10.40 less or 475.40. The subtotal below is 475.40 less 25%)

COST WITH THE PASS
The pass saves you 25% on the four rides listed as adjusted, and results in a subtotal of 356.55 per person. It also removes the train travel costs between Zurich and Lauterbrunnen.

204.00 cost of the pass for 1 adult
356.55 cost of the 4 rides less 25%
560.55 total cost with the pass.

Difference: 560.55 - 471.45 = 89.10.
Therefore, costs with the Swiss Pass are greater than the same trips with NO pass. For this set of assumptions the Swiss Pass actually COSTS YOU MORE Than no pass.

COSTS WITH SWISS CARD
The same set of rides with the Swiss Card costs a total of 348.28 chf.
(50% 0f 356.55 + 170 for the cost of the card. The cost is based on the price currently listed on the SBB website. However, the card is hard to acquire in Switzerland and in reality, if ordered from the US before leaving for Europe, may incur a $20 shipping cost -- as based on personal experience. I will omit the shipping costs, but you may need to add it in for your own personal case.)

SWISS PASS SWISS CARD COMPARISON

The difference is 471.45 - 348.28 =
123.17 chf in favor of the Swiss Card.

While I am at it, lets do a quick set of cost figures on the Berner Oberland Regional Pass. It is get more complicated because the regional pass gives 50% off of the train fare between Lauterbrunnen and Bern, which is assumed to take place within the 7 day time window provided by the pass. All riding within the Berner Oberland is assumed to take place on a free pass day. Hang on, the detail gets to be a walloper.

COSTS WITH THE BERNER OBERLAND REGIONAL PASS
87.00 Zurich Airport - Bern round trip 2nd class (no discount on this pass)
30.60 Bern - L'brunnen round trip discounted
195.00 7 day, 2nd class BOB regional pass
61.00 Kleine Scheidegg - Jungfraujoch @ 50% off (this leg never free of cost)
0.00 L'brunnen - Schynige Platte
0.00 L'brunnen - First
37.60 Mürren - Schilthorn also at 50% off (this leg also is never free)

411.20 total cost with the Berner Oberland Regional Pass.

CONCLUSIONS
For the set of assumptions used here, the SWISS CARD is the clear winner by 56.90 chf for the same set of rides and train travel. The Swiss Pass in these circumstances costs more than no pass.

354.30 Swiss Card
411.20 Berner Oberland Regional Pass
485.80 no pass
560.45 Swiss Pass, 4 day.

The Swiss Pass does, however, introduce the variable of unlimited train travel on SBB trains for all 4 days. But, it is unlikely that extensive riding outside the region could be done and still take the 4 rides listed here. If you are riding elsewhere in Switzerland, you will not be in the Berner Oberland to take the rides listed. Of course it is possible to make an assumption that all mountain rides will be taken by someone commuting in from Basel each day.

I did not consider renting a car. That introduces so many variables that a quick analysis is not feasible. Based on the expense I experienced last summer, you don't want a car in the Berner Oberland because you cannot drive to any of the destinations considered.

Depending upon where you enter Switzerland, the value of the Swiss Card may be even greater.

I rode the train from Munich to Zürich to Lauterbrunnen with the Swiss Card. My entire trip from the Swiss border to Lauterbrunnen both ways was free of charge. I paid only for the German part of the trip.
Therefore in my case, the Swiss Card was much more valuable than indicated here.
I did however pay shipping costs of $20 for the card.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 02:07 PM

I would like to ask a question of my own. There is a Jungfrau rail pass that I have heard about that does not include the Schilthornbahn. Does anyone know where to find it on the web and how much it costs.

It could be a worthy alternative to the passes and options I have described above.
It really needs to be included in the mix for a more complete picture.
Even though I was there in September, I am not up on this particular pass. I did not see it offered for sale in Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald or Interlaken Ost.
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Hi dixon,

The Jungfrau Pass information is at:
http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/english/p.../RE_AtSe5.shtm

If that link doesn't work, just go to www.jungfraubahn.ch, then click on "Offers" and "Special Offers" and use the dropdown menu to find the "Jungfrau Railways Pass."

s
Old Oct 18th, 2003, 09:53 PM

OK, thanks for the access to the Jungfrau Railways Pass. It is available at all stations of Jungfrau Railways, LWM, BGF and GGM. And ot os valid for 5 days during the calendar period of 1 May - 31 October 2003.
It sells for 165 chf.

Comparing it with the costs of the Swiss Card and the other options discussed above, quite a few changes must be made. First, the cost basis shifts because the Mürren - Schilthorn trip is not covered. Second, the validity period is 5 days.

Therefore a direct cost comparison under the same set of circumstances used with the other passes cannot be made.

To adjust the Swiss Card costs, the Schilthorn trip must be taken out something else substituted. Now, what is a reasonable substitution? One can plug in a wide range of possibilities. I substitued this trip:
Lauterbrunnen-Wengen-Männlichen-Grindelwald Grund (on the gondola)-Grindelwald-Lauterbrunnen (via Zweilutschinen) The total cost is 69.60.

The four popular ride cost basis now becomes:
69.60 Männlichen substitute route
48.00 Grindelwald First
61.40 Schynige Platte
336.00 Total
Half of that is 168.
Add in the 170 for the cost of the Swiss card, and the comparitive cost is
168+170=338

Comparing the costs of the four popular rides used above, and coming to the Berner Oberland Region from the Zürich Airport, we get these results for the Jungrau Regional Pass:

116 Zürich Airport - Lauterbrunnen
165 Cost of the Jungfrau Railways Pass
0 Cost of the four popular rides
not including the Schilthorn
62 50% of the cost Eigergletscher to
Jungfraujoch (the never free
section)
343 total

The other costs, in summary form were:
343.00 Jungfrau Pass (no Schilthorn)
338.00 Swiss Card
494.90 Berner Oberland Regional Pass
469.50 No Pass
405.20 J'frau Pass with Schilthorn
at full price from Mürren

One interesting feature is this:
The Jungfrau pass includes a free trip to Mürren. The round trip ride from Mürren to the Schilthorn summit is
62.20. Adding the two costs yields a total of 405.20. The Jungfrau Regional Pass plus the full Mürren = Schilthorn cost is cheaper by 89.70 chf than the Berner Oberland Regional Pass for these comparisons. Of course, the regional pass covers a much larger geographical area.
(I left out the Swiss Pass, 4 day version because it is much more expensive.)

1The Jungfrau Regional passis a worthy candidate if conditions exist for a visitor. If the visitor arrives via private vehicle and has no interest in travel outside of the immediate Interlaken - Grindelwald - Lauterbrunnen area, the cheapest pass is the Jungfrau Regional pass for 165 chf.
On the other hand, if the scope of travel is wider and/or the period of the visit is longer, the Swiss Card may be the better choice.

As always, the individual choice comes down to specific plans plans.

The next time someone says on this forum
"Which Swiss pass should I buy?" I suggest refering him or her to this set of calculations and suggest that he or she make their own determination.

That at least is my suggestion. I am going to copy these two analyses and post them again when the question appears again, which it no doubt will in a few weeks.