Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Off Interlaken - Ringgenberg or Bonigen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Following the advise of those who have already been to Bernese Oberland I have decided on putting to my summer itinerary an off-Interlaken stay in the nearby areas. I researched the two lakes' areas and found, to my opinion, Brinzersee has more appeal in terms of the off-Interlaken places to stay. Ideally, I would have been content staying in Giessbach Grand hotel. But It is a bit distant from Interlaken and other areas on Thunersee plus Spiez is a spot where we'll have to board the Cisalpino to go down to Italy. Again, staying in Spiez is not quite convenient for the reasons referred to above.
What would you advise, Ringgenberg or Bonigen disregarding travel time to Interlaken so that we might enjoy being in a quiet place adjacent to the commercial and transportation hub.

Thanks
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:36 AM

The bus from Bönigen to Interlaken Ost train station takes all of 12 minutes.

The bus from Ringgenberg takes 5 minutes.

How god a walker are you? You may never need a bus...
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to WallyKringen

But if to read my post more carefully then one can find that I am trying to choose between Ringgenberg and Bonigen already knowing how long the travel to Interlaken is. Actually, I'll allow myself to repeat, I would like to stay off Interlaken in the nearby area to avoid of touristic bustling and enjoy a quiet stay on a lake. It doesn't matter from which of the two mentioned localities to go to Interlaken. I just want to know the opinion of people where it's best to stay.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM

Now I get what you mean by disregarding.

Both these are suburbs of Interlaken, B. gets the morning sun, R. the evening sun.

How quiet it gets and how non-touristy it feels, in either, depends on the location of your hotel or Fewo. Take a look at this map and check out the hotels in relation to the main road and the train tracks:

http://www.interlaken.ch/fileadmin/u...an_rigo_A4.pdf

If you want to be further from all the hubbub, with great views over the lake of Thun and up to all the major peaks, go stay up in Beatenberg (http://www.beatenberg.ch/Home1.html).
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 02:41 AM

I can not compare, because we stayed only in Boenigen.
We had a small apartment in a villa, in december 2003. We love this small village, but really we did not spend too much time in it (each morning we went to visit a different destination, and returned in the evening).
It was very quiet, nice views, close to a big supermarket.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much
Beatenberg does not offer close-to-water hotels. That's why I am choosing between B. and R.
Sure, we will not spend lots of time in B. or R. but morning and evening lake views is what I want to get from staying there.