Of Provence, restaurants and cookbooks

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

As most know Provence is the homeland of my heart. I collect cigales and cookbooks of Provence, especially those with some personal notes. Yesterday I finished my newest purchase, "A chef in Provence, Eduard Loubet, chef/owner of The Moulin de Lourmarin.Several years ago, I read of a goat farm. Being a lover of goat cheese and having froliced with my cousin's goats as a child, I made reservations to stay there.We asked our host where he would suggest for lunches. He mentioned two friends in nearby villages where he supplies their cheeses. One was Loubert, who worked with another chef we met in Annecy ( Marc Feyat at the Auberge de Eriden.) One day we met Loubert before knowing of his hotel/restaurant. He keeps his sheep at our hosts farm. Like his mentor Fayat, he gathers wild herbs for his unique dishes. As Peter Mayle, who now lives in Lourmarin, writes in the forward, The dishes don't always hit it with some because of some of the exotic tastes. This cookbook is wonderful for those who love cooking with herbs and flowers. As I don't grow my own, I rely on the kindness of strangers and friends or a good health food store.The other friend is at the Auberge de Presbytère in Saigon, across from the ancient Lavoir in front of the fountain. Loubet has adopted the wide brim hat of his mentor, Fayat when in the woods. In the book is a recipe for that tomato sorbet, like the one served at La Chassagnette. The food at Saignon is simpler but excellant, and the owner a jovial man. Other chefs we found with their wives, very amicable with wonderful food, , were La Riboto de Taven in Les Baux and The bistro of Eygaliers, Chez Bu and their less expensive, petite Bu, bistro du Paradu, other restaurants we return to are La Fournil in Bonnieux, Le Fournil, Le Mesclun in Séguret. There are too many others to account for. Still groggy because of a late night.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merci. As with many of your posts, I have written down the places you mentioned. We already have plans for
Le Fournil,Mas de Cure Bourse, and La Chassagnette. I am also interested in Auberge de Presbytere and La Riboto de Taven. So many places and only 2 weeks in Provence! October can not get here soon enough.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:22 AM

cigalechanta,

Very provocative!!!

I am between trips right now, Very vulnerable.

Any air fare bargains for late Sept. early Oct.

JoeG
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

No, we leave August 23 and we really don't search as it's a once a year trip.Believe me, I'd be there every few months if I could but personal and financial stops prevent my running there.
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Cigalechanta,

The chef of whom you speak is Marc Veyrat, and I urge to try his other restaurant in Megeve which operates only during ski season when his other place on Lac Annecy is closed.
I look forward to trying your suggestions.
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Oh Mimi ... how absolutely lovely. Thank you for the restaurant recommendations and the wonderful stories.

Best regards ... Ger
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:26 AM

Loved your stories and recommendations for restaurants, Mimi! It's been too long since I've been to Provence--definitely time to go back and try some new restaurants as well as to just enjoy being in that land which so many of us hold near and dear to our hearts.
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:29 AM

The latest Rivages guide to charming hotels indicates that the Mas de Cure Bourse was sold to new owners sometime around 2001, which might indicate that the talented woman chef, who was co-owner, is no longer there. Does anyone know for sure?
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks for your lovely report. Provence is wonderful and it's been several years since I've been there. I'm keeping this thread for next trip.

A few years ago I was given a cook book called "The Top One Hundred Dishes of Provence" as a thank you for helping someone plan a trip to Paris and Provence. It has some good recipes and illustrated with colorful drawings that remind me of Provence whenever I look at it.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the nice comments.
LLb, the Eriden deck on Lac Annecy is incredible, you feel you are at sea.
underhill, I hope that's wrong. I think someone has been there recently and will post Mme Dozé was very charming and very amusing.
pam, you'll go back again there are always new places to discover.
Joe G. who has captured OT's heart and glad to hear you are vunerable.
Oreilly if only i could write and photgraph like you.
And grandmere, we seem to like the same places.
adrienne, there's a series of books by Abbeville press, PROVENCE gastronomique, Dordogne Gastronomique as well as one for Brittany, Burgundy and Normandy. All the recipes are not complicated and in each of these books, we have gone to the restaurants, artisans they write about and never was disapponted. Most suggestions were always like ones by two pierre deux and their French Country books Both RIP, whom I was fortunate to have met.
They were responsible for the popularity of the look but it caused prices to soar.The books maybe out of print. It was early about 1992 but most are available on line (amazon, perhaps)
I bought the big beautiful Robert Carrier book, Feasts of Provence for only 5.95.
Old May 11th, 2004, 03:25 PM

La, cigale, this is a pleasant thread~
I am just beginning my research for a trip to Provence sometime in the future, and of course, food is an important aspect of the planning. As always, I follow your advice~
I also have been collecting Provencal cookbooks, so this is a great source for me!
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett, if you, one day go, you will love it and there is no night life so if you are married to someone like my "husp," who goes to bed early, we will have venture out together while they sleep.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:20 PM

LOL~Cigale, Provence would never be the same
Maybe someday, who knows~
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Oh my! Cigale and Scarlett on the "town" together! Could a Grasshopper come along?
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

a cigale and a grasshopper and a lady like Scarlett could be fun. If you drink...
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Bonsoir, Grasshopper, mais oui~ Cigale, Grasshopper and me what a good time to be had!
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:52 PM

How funny, I posted the same time as Cigale~
I have been known to enjoy a glass of wine. Or two.