Ode to my Kindle

Jun 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Ode to my Kindle

Well, it's really not an ode, maybe a paean, a panegyric, an encomium, a song of praise. I am an inveterate reader, and I'm kind of cheap, so that in the past, books were always a problem when I traveled.

I would load up on used books and then discard them as I read them. Loading up made my suitcase heavy, and discarding books---not trading them in--burned my cheap soul. Then I got my Kindle. I load looooong books ("The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich," "Inferno" by Max Hastings---NOT Dan Brown--and whatever I can get for free on Book Bub, as well as things I have read before but will read again, such as Dorothy Sayres and Ngaio Marsh.

I'm set for books, even for a really long trip, and I don't have to haul around a heavy suitcase.
Jun 21st, 2013, 08:52 AM

Did you perhaps mean to post this on that 'other' forum?
Jun 21st, 2013, 08:53 AM

Me too. It used to be, my bag was always searched by security, presumably because of all those rectangloid shapes in the x-ray. Now that I carry all my books on my Kindle, no problem with the bag.
Jun 21st, 2013, 08:54 AM

I agree, Peg. Plus the advantage of being able to buy "the next one in the series" without having to make a trip to the store is a fabulous benefit. I no longer buy dead tree books.
Jun 21st, 2013, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

janis: Of course I use my Kindle at home, but my main praise is for the Kindle on trips. Instead of 10 paperbacks, I carry one Kindle.

So I meant to post on this forum.
Jun 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM

I'm singing with you
Jun 21st, 2013, 11:00 AM

I too love to read... And while I agree the kindle is very practical for travel, I will never love it. What i love is the feel of the book in my hands, the whiff of smoke when I open my used bookstore copy of Colette, reading the christmas inscriptions on the inside front cover (and wondering the route which delivered that book into my hands).

So while I may agree with the premise, Peg, i will never sing your song of praise.
Jun 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM

My kindle is always in my purse and I am never without a distraction if I need it. I have over 100 books on it; about 45 I haven't read yet. I did read Dan Brown's Inferno (it's on my kindle) and liked it a lot.
Jun 21st, 2013, 11:53 AM

I'm with you, Peg! Now, if only someone can improve guidebooks for use on a Kindle!
Jun 21st, 2013, 01:16 PM

I can be reading a book on my Kindle, continue from where I left off on my iPhone sitting in the dentist's waiting room, then pick up my tablet to check email back home and pick up on the book again on the tablet. Handy and amazing!
Jun 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM

Peg - I'm glad you posted here.

I've put off getting an ereader because I don't want to buy books; it's one of the things I've cut back on to save money. I do buy books from the library book sale at .50 each. That supports the library and gives the books a good home.

I've been listening to audio books that I either download from the library or I rip the CDs. I have quite a stockpile of books to listen to.

I may have to rethink the Kindle thing. You're saying there are good books for free from Book Bub? Any other free sites? I can borrow a Fire from the library but I may not want to spend that much money. And I'd like to try before I buy.

Which Kindle do you have and can you read in low light situations?
Jun 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM

There are all kinds of sources of free books... the Guttenburg Project is one, bitTorrent is another.

I have a 2nd generation Kindle that needs ambient light the same as a book. My tablet is a 7 inch Samsung Galaxy that would be readable in the mines of Moria.
Jun 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

The books on Bookbub aren't the best, though I do find books that I like. There are cheap books on Amazon, too--classics and the like or just inexpensive books.

I go to the used book store and load up on cheap books to read at home. I don't want to buy too many expensive books to read at home on my Kindle, but I have no objection to buying books for trips.

"Inferno" was about 600 pages, and cost $13.99. I had a paperback copy, but no way was I going to bring that on my trip. It kept me busy for a long time. Ditto for "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich."

I don't know much about free sites for ebooks. In my town, my city library doesn't have them available, but I've heard the country library does.

My Kindle is a cheap basic model. NO bells or whistles. I can read only books--not magazines, as far as I know. I can't read mine without an external light, but I think there are models that are lighted.
Jun 21st, 2013, 02:51 PM

You can also download books to kindle from your library for free. My library lets me get 4 at a time, good for 2 weeks. And if you have an internet connection - you can get books when you are traveling.

I have the Kindle app on my iPad and really like the ability to use have lots of books on hand.

I bought DH the least expensive Kindle - the one with ads - at it works for him.
Jun 21st, 2013, 02:53 PM

Newer ones like the Fire are backlit like a tablet. Older models like mine and Peg's need light. I have a cool little bendy LED light for mine.

If you were to Google for 'free ebooks' you'd find a lot of sources.

Copyright expired books on Amazon cost as little as 99 cents. Yes, more than 50 cents from the library but worth it for the convenience.
Jun 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM

This is very interesting. I didn't realize Kindles have ads. That would drive me nuts.

My library does have a limited number of ebooks as the licenses are expensive. The tough part is waiting for the ebooks as about 50 libraries are involved in buying licenses.

I don't mind paying .99 for a book. It's the $15 for paperbacks or ebooks that adds up. When I travel on my own I always run out of reading material and have to buy 1 or 2 books during my trip.
Jun 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hez

The ads are just shown on the screen when you aren't reading, they don't inturupt you.

The Kindle Paperwhite is e-ink (so it looks like paper and can be read in bright sunlight) but also backlit so that it can be read in the dark. The best of both worlds
Jun 21st, 2013, 03:42 PM

The ad is only when you first sign on. It is very un-bothersome [is that a word??].

I just looked online and it doesn't mention ads, maybe they got rid of them. For $69 it's a deal.
Jun 21st, 2013, 04:40 PM

If the ads are like a screen saver then that would be fine.

I'm not traveling at the moment so I have time to think about this. If I can get books from my library and free books and occasionally pay for books that would be good. Perhaps I'll ask for this for a Christmas present.
Jun 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM

I love my Kindle Fire, but on our last trip I ended up having to buy a paperback because the battery died after long usage and I wasn't able to charge it right away. Now I'll carry a cheap small PB in my suitcase just in case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO