Reload this Page >

October Weather in Northern Italy Lake Region

Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a trip planned for Lakes Maggiore and Como, October 3-14. I'm expecting
early fall temps, but is it usually rainy or fair? Trying to pack light, but practical gear. Has anyone used the Hotel Verbano on Isola Pescatori?
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM

I unfortunately had one of the five my most memorably bad meals I've ever eaten in Italy (and I live here!) at the restaurant in Hotel Verbano. I certainly wouldn't want to be there on a half-board plan.

No one can tell you what to expect for the weather at that time of year. Lakes are notoriously prone to mist and rain, but you may get absolutely clear skies. Umbrellas are everywhere, and a plastic zip rain jacket (the kind that folds into its own pocket from land's end) will do you if you want more than that. You do need at least one pair of comfortable, walkaround all day waterproof shoes.

One place I enjoy extremely in Lago Maggiore is l'idrovolante, a homey bar taverna that is just opposite l'isola dei Pescatori, at the foot of the funivia cable car that goes up into the mountains for scenic walks. Lunch dockside at the l'Idrovolante can be charming and good. Also, many visitors who tour the islands don't go all the way to l'isola Madre, which is the prettiest of the isole. Likewise, the rather French-style palazzo on l'isola Bella is very nice, and tourists run right past it to look at the rather bizarre gardens.

http://www.lidrovolante.com/
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM

We were in Como last year, mid October. Weather was delightful, sunny and cool. We did a day trip from Milan so cannot help with the restaurant.