October in Italy

Jun 28th, 2001, 07:11 AM
DougD

October in Italy

We are planning 10 days in Italy starting 9/27. We will have reserved 3 nights in Rome and 2 in Tuscany. However, for the remaining time we are tempted to 'wing it' for Florence, Sienna, and Cinque Terra, finding rooms wherever we drive. Is the first week in October so heavily booked that this is risky?
Also, is this time still warm enough to swim in the Mediterranean?

Jun 28th, 2001, 08:35 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Doug, Oct. is still high season in Italy, especially in Tuscany. I would think twice about free-lancing in both Siena and Florence that time of year.
We will be there about the same time. Good luck !

Jun 29th, 2001, 02:54 AM
Paige

It depends how picky you are. We were in Italy in Oct a few years ago and booked everything except Siena since we didn't know when we'd arrive. I had to spend hours (or at least an hour) on the phone the day before and that morning trying to find something. What we ended up with was acceptable but it wouldn't have made the top 10 list. It's a tough call because it's nice to have some flexibility but it really sucks having to spend your precious trip time hunting down a hotel and having to deal with the anxiety of not being able to find one. It was warm enough to swim during our trip, the first of October.

Jun 30th, 2001, 05:51 PM
Carin

Oooo, Bob, you lucky dog! Weren't you just there in April???

Jul 1st, 2001, 09:27 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

You are right Carin ! However, this one is different. Susan will be going with 5 of her friends from High school days--a Roman slumber party. I will join her in Tuscany after having spent 10 days coming down from Zurich and stopping at all of the towns I could find that started with " LU". That would be LUZERN, LUGANO, AND LUCCA. We will then meander thru the Dolomites and fly out of Munich on 17 Oct. We try to travel twice per year--spring & fall.

Jul 1st, 2001, 10:58 AM
rlk

Doug:

Weatherwise, the 1st week in October is a great time to visit Italy. And as to the Cinque Terre, you will be outside the high season there. BUT as to whether or not the water's warm enough to swim, well . . . . I guess that's a matter of what you consider acceptable water temps. I visited CT on day trips during the latter part of October (2000) and more recently was there in May of this year. On both occasions, I waded at water's edge & found it cool & refreshing. There were some people who were swimming in the water, but I thought it too cold for full immersion.

I don't know what the actual water temps were --- it's not as cold as the Pacific (California beaches) or even the Atlantic (Massachusetts, where I grew up), BUT it's definitely not as warm as Florida water.

If you truly want a beach experience in early October, you may consider further south, along the Amalfi coastline. Do note that wherever you go, Italy's beaches overall are more rocky than fine smooth sand --- in the case of Monterosso, it's more "pebbly" --- with Corniglia it's truly rocky.

Jul 1st, 2001, 11:50 AM
Karen

I'd book Sienna..We like to wing it too,but Oct 2 yrs ago we learned very quickly what"completo" means in Italian.We were a nano-second away from spending the night in our tiny rental car when we tried one last hotel on the way out of town.It was next to a strip club and the train tracks but it was a bed.
P.S. After my husband & I hiked the 5 hill towns,a swim in the Med was heaven.