Better Restaurants in Florence

Jun 27th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Robert Kantor

Better Restaurants in Florence

I am heading to florence and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for nice restaurants? also I am looking for suggestions for a good driving route from Florence to Lake Como/ Lugano...

Jun 27th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Book Chick

Hi Robert,
I lived in Florence for a while when attending school there. Two favorite restaurants I always recommend are:

Da Noi at 46 via Fiesolana (may need to reserve ahead--it's small, but intimate)

Il Cavallino at 4 via della Farine

Hope you have a great trip!
BC

Jun 27th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Lori

You will have to take a taxi (about a 10 minute - beautiful - drive near Galluzzo) but go to Bibe. It was by far the best food we had while in Florence.

Bibe
Via delle Bagnese, 1r
Tel. 055/2049085

Jun 27th, 2001, 04:47 PM
Andy

Robert- we had dinner at a 2 star Michelin restaurant in FLorence proper-called Enotecca Pinchiorri--absolutely fabulous-came with 5 courses and wine-excellent service

Jun 27th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Diane

The best dinner we had in Florence was at i'Toscano. It was on Via Guelfa 70r (that means 70 red, I think -- there are both red and blue numbered addresses on Florentine streets, and they aren't coordinated numerically!). www.itoscano.it
Typical Tuscan food (try Gnudi for the primi -- really melts in your mouth -- it is sort of a pasta without the pasta). The house red was a lovely Chianti Classico. We also found it to be quite reasonably priced (Around for 2 people $60 for four courses and wine!)

Jul 1st, 2001, 09:12 AM
Christina

Here's where the Florentines I know go (and me too when I'm there):

Cibreo (Near mercato di sant'ambrogio) You can eat at the higher priced restaurant or at the much much more economical bar, which is lovely and serves excellent food.

Buca dell'Orafo, via dei girolami, two steps away from Ponte Vecchio on the north side, is also known to serve fantastic food. Leans toward the trattoria-type of venue.

Il Latini, on via dei palchetti, not far from the train station is also more of a trattoria, but food is excellent and plentiful at around $35 per person (prix fixe) with an enormous flask of table wine that appears to be bottomless.

Jul 1st, 2001, 12:10 PM
Dona

Bobert -

Some of my favorites are Il Cibreo, Cantinetta Antinori, and Alle Murate. Some of the others on "my list" to try are: Osteria n.1, and Taverna del Bronzino. I must admit that the "2 fork" restaurants in Michelin never let me down...

If you go to Enoteca Pinchiorri, be prepared br a very expensive meal. While the food is really wonderful, it's more expensive than any restaurant that I've gone to in NYC (except perhaps Alain Ducasse which can run $500 per person - and I can't let myself go there on principle...) BUT, if you decide to go to Enoteca, I'd suggest the tasting menu and forget about the price. The first time I went, I got paralyzed by the prices and tried to order ala carte. Not only was the price still high, but my brother made us go for "a slice" afterward - he was still hungry. (Quite amusing, really...) The second time, though, we just resigned ourselves to the price - let them "do it" and it was fabulous!

Have a great time!

Dona

Jul 1st, 2001, 12:14 PM
Dona

Hi again -
I forgot to tell you that, if I were driving from Florence to Lake Como, the most direct route would be A1 to A9 - a pretty straight shot...

Dona