Reload this Page >

Oct in Paris-10/13-10/18

Search

Oct in Paris-10/13-10/18

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 10:19 AM
ergreen

Oct in Paris-10/13-10/18

Thanks guys for all your advice.Not sure if i'm using this service adequately.I would like some feedback now on money!Do i take traveller's cheques or US dollars or try to bring some euros with me.What is the best bet.Also, what credit card is most accepted in Paris?One last question-any feedback on Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche in Latin Quarters or do we stay with Hotel Du Louvre?Thanks so much in advance.Really looking forward to this trip.Especially to shop!

Old Sep 6th, 2004, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take about 150 euro or so I suggest and then withdraw from the ATM when you get to Paris. Traveler's checks are old-fashioned and not so widely accepted nowadays.

Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted everywhere. Amex is not so acceptable.

Henri IV Rive Gauche is owned by the same owners of Hotel Galileo and two popular Ile-St. Louis hotels. I believe its rooms are a bit small but location is great. I'd opt for that hotel more than Hotel du Louvre as it's too expensive and I have read mixed comments about it.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Skip the traveler's checks; they're a hassle. Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted. If you can conveniently get a few Euros before you arrive without paying an arm and a leg, then it's handy. Otherwise you will find ATMs to be very common. (You need a 4-digit PIN and you may want to notify your card issuer that you will be traveling.)
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:34 PM

We just returned from Paris yesterday after spending our 10th anniversary there! Particular highlights worth mentioning (in no particular order):

1. Withdrawing euros from any ATM is easy and very do-able all over Paris. Bring dollars and change to euros in the airport (the fees aren't that bad).

2. VISA/Mastercard and AMEX are widely accepted, bring any or all of the above.

3. While walking around the different neighborhoods or districts (arondissements) is the best way to really see stuff, the Metropolitain (subway transit system)is extremely efficient, accessible and friendly. You can travel all over the place while sparing yourself the exhaustion and cab fees. I highly recommend getting a Knopf Mapguide of Paris. It was constantly in use for my first time trip to Paris. Your hotel will also have a good, detailed map available.

4. Don't Miss: Luxembourg Gardens and from there, rue Vavin, rue du Bac and rue Saint Placide. Also in the Latin Quarter: rue de Buci St. Andre-Des Artes and rue Mouffetard (shops, cafe's, markets). Saint Chapelle on Ile La Cite' is unbelievable. If you enjoy classical music, there's a 7:30, Friday night concert inside Ste. Chapelle. It's amazing.

Walking around the Marais (another district) might remind you of Soho, very hip and chichi. Wonderful shops. For the best and most accessible (with variety) of Parisien items we were told to go to Le Bon Marche' (Paris department store). It's even better than Dean and Deluca. Soaps, teas, everything Parisien...wonderful, wonderful.

A restaurant that came highly recommended and delivered was L'Epi Dupin, rue Dupin in the Latin Quarter. You'll find it in most guide books.

What I can tell you from my own experience, having traveled internationally but never to Paris, is that it was a dream of a city. You can just walk for hours and stumble upon the most incredible architecture, gardens, museums, stores, markets. We purchases three guidebooks: the Knopf Mapguide for directions, Lonely Planet for inside scoop, Fodors (of course) but wished we had picked up a fourth restaurant guide such as Zagats. While you really can't go wrong at any eatery, we found ourselves more than once traversing the streets of Paris without a reservation and in search of anything more than a bistro or cafe. Knowing a little something about the restaurants is incredibly helpful and the hotel staff will usually make reservations on your behalf.

And of course you must go to a local grocery store (easy to find) and for twenty euros you can get foie gras pate, sauccison sec, camembert, gouda, two baguettes, grapes and a nice Cote de Rhone. And then find yourself at the Luxembourg gardens or any park and have the true French experience.
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Travelers checks are an aggravation. Tht ATM is the way to go for getting cash and major credit cards for most everything else. Having said this let me tell you that I always take a couple of travelers checks for assurance because one trip the ATM machines ran out of money. The couriers went on strike.