Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Obligatory form for going outdoors in France

Old Mar 16th, 2020, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Here is the link at the Ministry of the Interior for getting the form that you must have for going outdoors starting from noon on 17 March:

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-a…

Click on the PDF symbol lower left to download it.

If you don't have access to a printer, you can handwrite the basic information: name, birthdate, address and one of the five authorized reasons for going outdoors: work, basic purchases, health necessity, family emergency, brief individual exercise.

You must also date and sign the form.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 12:57 AM

Thanks Kerouac, stay safe.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 02:36 AM

Thanks, kerouac. This is eerie - really seems like wartime. Which of course is what Macron said last night.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 02:39 AM

I assume brief indivdual exercise includes letting the dog out? I was wondering how the heck dog owners were going to cope!

Good luck with it. Keep safe.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 02:42 AM

Dog owners?

What about those with numerous small children or young families? Coping is difficult in the best of times.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 03:02 AM

I made the mistake to click out of curiousity on the link which kerouac provided.
The server seems to be down, so also no one in France who actually need that document can access it currently.
Please don't follow my stupid example.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

I imagine that the server will be very busy at least for the rest of today.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 03:34 AM

It worked fine for us. We've downloaded it, filled it out, and signed it, as we are going out shortly.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 04:14 AM

I didn't have any problem downloading and printing the form either. We're stocked up for the moment, so no need to go out. But, we have the form ready when we do need it.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

They have said that there will be no real enforcement today other than some warnings. Today it is still very easy to say convincingly, "Oh I hadn't heard anything about that."
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 07:23 AM

I offered to print out two forms and take them to our Canadian neighbors, who do not speak or read much French, and they are insisting that because one of the bullet points is "Déplacements brefs, à proximité du domicile, liés à l'activité physique individuelle" they can go out and do anything they want. Clearly, they don't know what a dérogation is, or can't decipher what activité physique individuelle might mean, or both. Since we're going to see them soon anyway, I'm going to bring them the forms and explain.

We just went into town and it's completely dead. The Intermarché staff were all wearing masks and gloves. No cash payments were allowed, and the machine where you can swipe the bar code on you receipt to win a shopping discount was covered up. It's weird.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 07:55 AM

StCirq, shouldn't you stay home? Why risk contact when it's not necessary? You can email them the form and explain it over the phone. As kerouac said, if they can't print the forms, they can write up the basic info.

We're taking PA's lockdown seriously. Not that other people in our area necessarily are, but the two of us are pretty law-abiding and it's also common sense.

Please stay safe, for yourself and others.

Old Mar 17th, 2020, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

One of the details of the rules is that people should go shopping alone, not with somebody else, just like for exercise. (This seems a bit extreme for me, particularly regarding the elderly who often need help carrying things -- but I'm sure that the control authorities feel the same way, except in cases of rebellion. "These restrictions are stupid and I'm going to do whatever I like!")
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 10:56 AM

kerouac I don’t drive so my husband will have to take me, however only one of us will enter the supermarket. After the undrinkable wine I purchased tonight for €12. 90, he will go into buy the wine.
Old Mar 17th, 2020, 05:09 PM

Thanks for sharing Kerouac!
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 10:46 AM

I've heard about this in Italy, also, I think, and I'm a little perplexed about what the purpose of this form is? It's just something people fill out themselves so obviously doesn't indicate any official authorized status (such as a doctor attests to something). So I don't understand the purpose of this is versus just being stopped by authorities (as that's the only way a form could be checked) and them just asking you verbally why you are out and about. I don't understand the paperwork thing. I can't imagine they are collecting these forms, that would create massive administrative problems, so that just means they are looking at them. And anyone who is going out and doesn't have one of those reasons would just put down an authorized reason anyway, if they didn't care about the rules.

I could see it would let someone see at a glance your age, etc (although ages aren't limited to going out as I understand it), and would solve language problems except as noted, people who weren't very competent in French probably wouldn't be competent enough to understand the form or lots of other things going on.

What do you think the practical goal of this is, Kerouac et al.? Is it just the French love of bureaucracy? A way to gain revenue from the fines? I don't really think that, it is a cynical thought, but I just don't understand this. Not to mention how much paper this is going to waste if you need one every time you go out, that's bad from an environmental viewpoint.

The only reason I can think of, but have not seen stated anywhere, is that it is just psychological, to get people to really take this seriously like it is being in a war, and then to lay the way for more stringent rules if people flout this edict. I can actually see that to some extent. Or to lead to the need to have proof of where you are going. All of these things are kind of creepy as to what they remind you of. It's also odd that you have to print this out, they won't allow you to have a form filled out on your phone, for example (where you could just change the date or something), which at least would cut down on all the paper being wasted. To some extent, it seems slightly discriminatory also, as it may seem trivial, but some people might not have excess funds to be buying all this paper right now.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

They could have levied fines much more easily without requesting a form. The form at least gives people a chance to think about why they are going out. It is more educational than useful
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 12:16 PM

I agree. It serves no practical purpose that I can see, other than to force people to think about what they really need to be roaming around for. It definitely is a pain, as in waste of paper, to have to have a new form for every trip, at least for people who are leaving home a lot. I doubt it will be a money-making endeavor except in cases where they stop truly clueless people or those who are flagrantly disregarding the guidelines. And yes, the French do love their paperwork.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

I used the same form today and just changed the date.
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 01:05 PM

I'm surprised you don't have to sign it in front of the police so they can check against your ID and see if it's really you. It's all pretty silly, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO