Obese passengers

Oct 21st, 2002, 07:42 AM
flying

Obese passengers

Virgin Atlantic has paid a woman passenger £13,000 (US$20,289) compensation, after she was squashed by an obese person sat next to her on a transatlantic flight.

Oct 21st, 2002, 07:46 AM
xx

Troll, I don't believe that

Oct 21st, 2002, 07:56 AM
crusty

I quess if he was clinically squashed 20K is seems abount right.

Oct 21st, 2002, 08:02 AM
Skippy

I wonder what she would've received if she'd been yammed in between two obese Norwegians?

Oct 21st, 2002, 08:07 AM
It's True

It's true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2346319.stm

Oct 21st, 2002, 08:38 AM
Haha

Well, its nice to see that passengers have some recourse when they are forced to sit next to an obese person who encroaches upon their space. Nothing against the obese, but it really is unfair when you're forced to sit by someone who spills over into your seat.

Oct 21st, 2002, 08:44 AM
hmm

Coming soon to a courtroom near you:

Jack Pratt v. Mrs. Jack Pratt

Oct 21st, 2002, 09:34 AM
Skippy

Jack Pratt can fly first class
His wife can fly in coach
But both can be sued if their arm or their...um, derriere
Will upon the space of others encroach!

Oct 21st, 2002, 09:38 AM
Lim

A passenger - somewhat obese
Found it a terrible sqeeze

Oct 21st, 2002, 09:40 AM
crusty

Don't you think that the plane would tend to fly in circles if they keep all the hefties on one side of the plane??

Oct 21st, 2002, 09:46 AM
Louann

It isn't the point that someone is obese, it is what comes with that obesity. What do I care if someone else is fat, but when they tend to overlap onto my already too cramped coach set, it is too much. It is bad also to have an obese person in the seat in front of you, they push their seat back in your face. There should be an overweight section to planes, evenly distributed of course, where they can pay a little more and have a bigger seat. It would also work for those who would be willing to pay a little more for a bigger seat, but still be in coach class. I probably would just to be able to nap.

Oct 21st, 2002, 09:53 AM
xxx

I think one can draw a similar analogy with smokers and smoking. I--and I'm sure the vast majority of people who don't smoke--could not care less about others who smoke, as long as they don't infringe upon my airspace.

Oct 21st, 2002, 09:58 AM
xox

It's true according to BBC.com! Good for her! Apparently the "BIG" woman booked two seats on the flight over but not on the flight back!!!!

Oct 21st, 2002, 10:11 AM
bettyk

Health problems related to obesity will cripple our healthcare system within the next few years. Obesity is at epidemic levels in this country because people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions. They will sue McDonald's etc., rather than face the fact that they have to make healthier choices in their lives. All you have to do is look around to see that most people are out of control when it coming to eating! This puts a tremendous burden on the rest of us and that's not fair.

Oct 21st, 2002, 10:23 AM
xxxxx

As a society we always have to make amends for the weakest among us. This is why the welfare system is so huge, this is also why the prison system is so crowded. So the obese are just another part of what society has to take care of, the strong take care of the weak, until the system collapses.

Oct 21st, 2002, 10:31 AM
xxx

With the poundage on these heifers the system should be collapsing any day now.

Oct 21st, 2002, 10:36 AM
Moo

Well they are some pretty hefty bulls too you know.

Oct 21st, 2002, 10:39 AM
oh

Does anyone really believe that old Babs suffered all those permanent, life-altering injuries just from sitting next to a fat woman on a plane? Sounds a little fraudulent and a good way to get some cash from an airline.

Oct 21st, 2002, 11:14 AM
alltootrue

this woman was according to the BBC, bedridden for a month. I would think 11 hours of being squashed would in fact cause permanent injury.

Oct 21st, 2002, 11:28 AM
orgy7

I don't get it.. I've heard passangers complain about the stupidest crap. and have their seats changed....
So what happened too this lady, was she literely squooshed like a pancake cartoon style.. all you could see was four fingers trying too motion from underneith the fat persons right butt cheek..
I don't know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO