Oberstdorf, Germany

Search

Oberstdorf, Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oberstdorf, Germany

We are considering this town for our next German vacation. If you've been there, I'd love to hear your impressions and recommendations.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Well, a few years ago we stayed at the Wannenkopfhutte hut on a mountain side near Obertsdorf. I don't recall if we ever really made it to the village of Obertsdorf. The entire area was very scenic and would love to go back there again someday. All I remember was hiking up a path surronded by beautiful wild flowers and my knees creaking both up and down the path. Early next morning cowbells woke us up as the cows were in pasture.

We came from Garmisch and stopped on the way at a small church called Wieskirche. It was free to get in (donation requested) and simply beautiful inside. Depicts how they thought heaven looks. If you get a chance stop in and visit it!
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 12:55 PM

It's a nice town, good for exploring the Alps and hiking. Not much of a nightlife, though - rather quiet and family oriented.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:31 AM

It's been awhile, but we spent a week there in the winter. We skied, hiked, enjoyed the scenery and not much else. I remember there were a couple of good restaurants in town, but I do not remember any names.

What prompted you to consider Obertsdorf rather than some of the more popular places?
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.

wanderfrau - I think that's why we are considering Oberstdorf...because it's not as popular. We like to find the smaller towns and get away from the crowds. We still need a town that's well connected by public transport, and this one seems to be.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 07:25 AM

It's always nice to find something a little off the normal tourist track. Oberstdorf may not be popular with foreigners, but it is popular with the Germans. Depending on the time of year, it may be crowded.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks wanderfrau - nice to know. We usually travel either in May or September.