Notices

Has anyone visited Marburg, Germany?

Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone visited Marburg, Germany?

I'll be arriving at Frankfurt Flughafen on Saturday, May 3, and will have to be in Göttingen on Monday, May 5. I'll stay Sunday night in Göttingen, but I'll have a day and a half or to spend somewhere else. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about Marburg.

Actually I was there briefly in 1971, but the only memory I have is of visiting the castle. I enjoy architecture and just wandering around taking in the ambiance.

I know that it was a university town and that it wasn't bombed in WWII.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM

Yes I was there and found it a really really nice town - lively university part in the lower town and nice old town up above around the castle.

Really nice place!
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 12:55 PM

Yes, I've been to Marburg - one of a number of nice towns in North Hessen / south Niedersachsen that are very pretty. If you are going to Göttingen you might also try to visit Duderstadt, which is also attractive (twisted church spires, very unusual). But it's quite small - don't think of spending more than an afternoon there. Marburg could keep you for a little longer as there are a few more shops. Duderstadt, being rural, has the extended lunch break where all the shops close down.

In Göttingen have Kaffee und Kuchen at Cron und Lanz (spectacular Konditorei), or a very good stick to your ribs schnitzel at the Nudelhaus.

Lavandula
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. My only memory of Marburg is that when we were touring the grounds, one of the students who was with us found a marijuana plant in one of the flower beds.

The other thing I recall is how small were the suits of armor that we saw in the castle. I'll have to take another look and see if they really are as small as I remember.

Pal: You amaze me. You've been everywhere, and you seem to remember it all.

Lavadula: Thanks for the food recommendations in Göttingen.

I'll take a look at Duderstadt some afternoon.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 05:43 PM

I loved Marburg--the cathedral, the walk up to the old town, all the half-timbered houses. It will make a great visit. And lots of ambience to wander around taking in available!
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 09:29 AM

Marburg is a beautiful town. The church there is ancient, as well as magnificent and is one of the stops for pilgrims walking the Elizabeth Way. She was a princess of Thuringen and died at the young age of 24. Popular German saint for this region. If you are in Frankfurt, you can view her life story painted on the walls in the Deutsche Orden church. (Teutonic Order of Knights)

Climbing up to the old town area may give you a work-out but it is worth it. The whole town is made of half-timbered buildings, and I think Rothenburg should be jealous. Keep on climbing up to the fortress. If it is a Monday, you won't be able to get in to the museum though. Wear good shoes as the stone street was made to keep horses from sliding down the hill, and all the cobble stones are set at weird angles. I found it to be a struggle, but the view from the top is gorgeous. Every where I turned in Marburg, I found something wonderful. Too few people visit here and I don't know why not. It is an easy, one hour direct train ride from Frankfurt.

Lots of interesting little stores, cafes, sidewalk tables, fountains, and everywhere seemed to offer a pretty view.
Old Mar 17th, 2014, 11:19 AM

LOL - I spent 11 years of my life there, all my student years and beyond. Ah those were the times...

You may want to have a look at my Marburg page over on Virtualtourist: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f86bd/9a93/ Feel free to ask if you have further questions! Enjoy my dear old Marburg.