Oban, Scotland

May 26th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Oban, Scotland

We will be driving from Edinburg to Oban and staying two nights at the Manor House in Oban. Any suggestions regarding must see sites along the way and once in that area.Thank you in advance for your response.
May 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Knowing absolutely nothing about Oban, we were surprised to find a delightful-appearing town and were sorry that we had not allowed more time there. We sailed out, and sailed back in with no time on either end and won't make that mistake again. I look forward to the other (i.e. helpful) replies to your post.
May 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Not certain if you want to take the time, however, you could take the ferry to Mull and drive around or better yet, sign up with Bowmans tours located in Oban and on the web. They will provide the ferry, bus and ferry to Iona and back. Great fun.
May 26th, 2007, 01:53 PM

Oban is alovely place there is McCaig's Tower, the Oban Distillery.

www.oban.org.uk
May 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Cal Mac ferries have a number of day trips from Oban. Check their website for daily departures.www.calmac.co.uk

The Isle of Kerrera makes a good day trip.They have a passenger and biclcle ferry that makes fairly regular crossings. Try the Kerrera Teagarden for light snacks.

Dunstaffnage Castle is only a short drive from Oban and certainly worth visiting along with its nearby chapel(ruins). Flora McDnald was imprisoned at Dunstaffnage. I would recommend a boat trip on Loch Etive. Go to Taynuilt and contnue on to the boat peir. They offer 90 min. and 3 hour cruises.There is a excellent tearoom in Taynuilt that serves very good soups and wonderful home-baked goodies.

Not knowing your route, it's difficult to suggest stops. But, Dunfermline Abbey, Culross. Sirling Castle and Dunblane are just a few of the possibilites.

The Manor House is one of my favorites.Enjoy!
May 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Crickey! That should read bicycle and pier. Can't type and spell at the same time.
May 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Byron: As I mentioned on your other thread - it would help us to help you IF you would tell us the rest of your itinerary.

Only after posting to that one did I realize you had planned on crossing the whole country twice.

Edinburgh > Skye > Edinburgh > Oban.

So - give us a picture of the whole plan and then you will get more useful advice.
May 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Ah, yes, that puts a whole different light on the subject.
May 27th, 2007, 02:51 AM

Oban is a lovely wee town. Its main attraction is its loction, and thus the opportunity to look out. The distillery does a good visit. It's Cal Mac's main office north of the Clyde, and lots of boats leave there to go to the Outer Isles. It has some good touristy shopping.

But after that, it's all about leaving. Ther are boat trips to Iona and Staffa and Mull. Someon'es already mentioned Bowman's.

You can head south to "The Only Bridge over the Atlantic", and the wee islands of Seil and Easdale; visit Carnassage castle, and the magical kingdome that is Kilmartin Glen.

Go west to Loch Awe and stop to go under a mountain on the way. Visit Calendar pretty Kilchurn Castle. Lots of gardens in the area- Arduaine, Ardchattan and Ardanaiseig for 3.

And, did I mention the scenery?

Downsides- poor accommodation- doesn't matter because you'd booked. Not good restauants- Ee-usk on the pier gets a good name. And it rains.

As to "along the way" you're going to have to give us a clue what the way is.
May 27th, 2007, 02:54 AM

Visit the Oban distillery. It's one of the smallest in Scotland but produces a wonderful whiskey.
May 27th, 2007, 04:37 AM

No it doesn't!!

Spelling, old son, spelling!!
May 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I didn't get to spend nearly enough time in Oban, but like someone said earlier the view from McCaig's Tower is amazing. And I loved Loch Linnhe, especially the view of Castle Stalker. And another vote for Loch Awe -- it's gorgeous, too. Enjoy.

Search this Thread