O.K. to book hotels before flights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've begun to worry that the cheap hotels I have chosen (villa rosa, weber ambassador, mimosa, albergo doni) will be booked very soon, and I wanted to wait a couple of months to book my flight, hoping fares will go down somewhat.
Is it O.K. to book the hotels first?
(We're going the first week in May)
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:39 PM

Can your hotels be cancelled without penalty if you can't get a good flight for the hotel dates you have chosen?
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

i don't know. is is common for them to allow you to cancel?
i'll have to check further.
Thanks.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM

As Margo said...check each hotel's cancellation policy. If you can cancel ahead of time without penalty then go ahead and reserve the hotel. If you will lose some sort of deposit then make the decision if it is worth it to you to take the chance.

It is very common for hotels to have a cancellation policy. Many are 7 days prior for a full refund. Some are 14 - 30 days so make sure you know in advance.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:58 PM

Hi mnannie,

I've booked all of my hotels for our trip to Italy in June, but haven't booked flights yet. I just made sure I could cancel without penalty. Most apartments won't let you do this, but quite a few hotels do.

My advice would be to begin booking if you have certain hotels in mind. A couple of the hotels I wanted were already booked solid!!!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:59 PM

Hello mnannie, personally it makes sense to me to book the hotels before booking the airline tickets IF I know the hotel cancellation policy. And I never book a hotel if I don't.

I have known people to book their nonrefunable air tickets and then panic because they cannot find a hotel in the location they want or a hotel that has room rates that fall within their budget. I have some friends that are going through that right now.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM

Generally I think that's the smart way to do it. You are right to worry that most if not all of the rooms at those hotels will be taken if you wait, and also reasonable to expect airfares to go down or at least stay the same.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:39 PM
lyb

I always book my hotels way in advance of my airfare. I make that I'm 100% aware of the hotel's cancellation policy.

Of course, most of the time I'll book my hotel 5 - 8 months in advance, and I would never book my airfare that far in advance, since the cost seems to vary alot as you get closer to the desired date, I usually book airfare 2 - 3 months in advance.