Nyon or Morges?

Dec 12th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Nyon or Morges?

Here I am again, changing plans. Instead of Montreux, can get a better hotel rate in either Morges or Nyon...Morges CHF198, Nyon CHF153. Which would you stay at for your first three nites in Switzerland.
Dec 12th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Hi oranget'cat,

Well so far never been to Morges.

But I can give you some of my impressions of Nyon -- a picturesque city with an incredible history behind it. But a city. The hustle and bustle and shops of a modern town surround the train station, but the old town is quaint and astonishing with dozens of narrow lanes up to and around the castle. I wasn't that impressed with the harbor area.

As a point of reference, from my *old* Michelin guide, Montreux has 22,000 citizens, Nyon has 14,000, and Morges has 4,000.

I think I'd opt for Morges.

s
Dec 12th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, s - you are my Switzerland guru. We will go for Morges.
Dec 13th, 2003, 04:06 AM

I think it depends on the quality of hotels. I mean, which hotels do you refer to?

Not in every case the cheapest one is the best one

Ingo
Dec 13th, 2003, 05:57 AM
jmw

Hello, you all. My vote is for Morges. I seem to remember bookmarking a little hotel site earlier in this entertaining exchange. Yes? Orangetravelcat, if you have time, check out St. Prex for me. J. p.s. After I finish entering my students' quarter averages onto the old disk, I intend to do a search to re-read the previous trail of your trip plans. It has been fun.

Dec 13th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

I know cheaper is not better but the Eden au Lac in Montreux is CHF415 whereas the (Best Western) Hotel du Mont Blanc au Lac is CHF198. And it looks fine; it's a small hotel on the lakefront promenade. Plus, one of my original ideas was to see the tulip festival in Morges.
Dec 13th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Hi orangetravelcat,

As always, very happy to contribute.

I must add that I'm pretty shocked at the prices quoted by Eden au Lac. I've stayed there twice and didn't pay 1/2 of that for a room w/balcony over the lake. But again, both times were in November.

I looked at the Mont Blanc's website, and it does look like a charmer. Nothing at all to lose whichever way you go!

s

Search this Thread