Two days in Laussane, Switzerland

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two days in Laussane, Switzerland

I am travelling with my husband on his business trip and have two days in Laussane by myself. Do anyone of you fodorite have suggestions on places I can visit, restaurants I can each lunch and shops I can browse. This is my first trip to Switzerland and we fly to Rome after our two days stay. We leave for Europe in three days!
Thank you in advance for any suggestions made.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:12 AM

Hello Tates,
Well, I think Lausanne is worth two days. Personally, I highly recommend the charming small museum Fondation de l'Hermitage from where you will have a wonderful view.
www.fondation-hermitage.ch
You might also want to visit the Olympic Museum and stroll around the old town where you will discover a lot of nice small shops. Most of the old town is a pedestrian area and be prepared to walking up and down all the time.
You shouldn't have difficulties finding charming places for lunch. Sorry, I am not an expert when it comes to Lausanne's restaurants. But on a recent business stay at the Hotel Alpha-Palmiers****, we had a wonderful dinner at their Thai restaurant. The hotel/restaurant is located on Rue du Petit-Chêne in the old town.
With nice weather, you could go on a small cruise on the Lake Leman. I would assume they run, also at this time of the year.
From the train station, take the little funiculaire down to Ouchy (at the lakeside) and visit the Hotel Beau-Rivage Palace for tea.
I suggest, you have a look at Lausanne's web site for more suggestions. I do not know, what particularly interests you.
Right now, it's pretty cold in Switzerland. I am not sure about Lausanne, but there might be some snow left like here in Zurich. Very pretty, as soon as the sun comes out.
Here is the web site of the Lausanne Tourist Board which includes an English version:
www.lausanne-tourisme.ch

Have fun, in Lausanne and Rome!
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi ursula, thanks for the response. I will look include the museum you recommend to my itinerary. I'm wondering if its possible to take a cruise around the lake around this time and have you heard of the Chillian castle? Is it close to Laussane and worth a trip?
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 01:05 AM

Tates, just found out that the Olympic Museum is closed on Mondays!
Anyway, I suppose you mean the Château de Chillon outside Montreux. Well, personally, I am not a big fan of it. But I think, mosts tourists like it.
You would have to go to Montreux (just a short trip, some 30 min.) by train and then take a bus or walk. Incidentally, it's a very pretty walk along the lakeside and would be wonderful to get over your jet lag. ;o) Not sure though, where you coming from.
Again, you would have to enquire about the weekly closed day. I would assume, you'll find some tourist brochures at your hotel with information for Lausanne and the neighbourhoods, also, whether the boats run. I would say yes, but on a limited winter schedule.
A very pretty town to explore I recommend is Vevey, where Ch. Chaplin used to live. Even closer to Lausanne and livelier than Montreux which can be pretty dull during winter.
Here, you can find more info on the Chillon Castle:
www.chillon.ch
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 02:35 AM

Château de Chillon closes only 2 days a year, 1st jan and 25th dec, their brocher says.

Keep in mind : the last entry is 16.00 till 28 Feb and 17.00 in March. Once inside, you can stay 1 hour from that time.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 02:38 AM

How about a return boat trip to Evian, France from Ouchy-Lausanne? There supposed to be a border in the lake.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:12 AM

Hi tates!

I'll also suggest you take a look at the vineyards between Lausanne & Vevey. Take the train to Vevey and connect to a train up to Chexbres. From Chexbres, just walk *downhill* and you'll find yourself in Rivaz. It's a delightful & very scenic route. In Rivaz, have lunch at the Auberge de Rivaz across the street from the lake.

By the way, the website for the ferry service is www.cgn.ch, where you can research schedules & fares. You can easily combine a ferry trip with the excursion to the vineyards -- returning to Lausanne/Ouchy from the dock at Rivaz or St. Saphorin.

This is a beautiful area -- have a great time!!

s
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

hi ursula: I'll be coming from Paris. Strolling around the old town looks more appealing than the castle after visiting their website. Might do the lake cruise though. I like going to shops that sell kitchen stuff. Any recommendation? Eating Fondue sounds great too!

hi Hike: Thanks for the input. How far is Evian from Laussane. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the area.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 11:47 AM

Hi tates,

Ouchy-Lausanne to Evian is 35 min to 45 minutes depending on the boat you take, 8 of them a day in February. I was not sure so I checked on www.cgn.ch. There should be naturally 8 of them for Evian to Ouchy-Lausanne, I suppose. A boat ride to Vevey-Montreux sounds nice too as well as strolling around very walkable not such a vast old town of Lausanne.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi! tried the site for CGN but it was in French! I don't know the language. Anyhow, at least I'm aware of the company and will just make inquiries when I arrive in Laussane. Thank you all!
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 03:05 PM

take the train to gstaad,they speak german.Ski if you like or at least take a lift to the summit and have a lunch over looking the Alps.The ride up and back is well worth it.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 11:09 PM

Tates, the Tourist Office has a location in the great hall of the train station. You will be able to get all necessary information for sightseeing, boat trips, etc. there.
Although Gstaad is lovely, forget about it with your short stay. You'll be enough busy in Lausanne and its sourrounding area.