Notices

NYC-IST airfare questions

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC-IST airfare questions

It looks like any flight that departs New York after June 30th costs over $1,000 instead of under $700. I am planning a trip to Turkey in September - should I wait a couple of months to buy my ticket, or is there some kind of seasonality involved? What is a good price for the flight?

Also, how comfortable/safe is Turkish Airways compared to Delta, American, Lufthansa, and other carriers with NYC/IST routes?

Thanks
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:42 PM

Given the world situation, I'd wait a couple of months to book your trip. In the meantime, you could get a price quote from a reputable consolidator. Quite a few people on this forum have gotten excellent quotes from AutoEurope.com. I'm sure there are other consolidators as well to look into, just search the posts.
Good luck!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:48 AM

Bobludlow,

If you are asking about Turkish Airline Security I say BETTER then Delta and other airlines. If you are asking service BETTER then other airline, I use Delta, Lufthansa to fly over to NY from Istanbul but I have to say that Turkish Air is the best BUT not CHEAP. First Istanbul-New York is direct flight so price is higher then Lufthansa. There is no last minute fare in Turkish Air so whether you buy your ticket now or later the fare won't change. If you are living in NY area there are some Turkish Travel Agencies selling Turkish Air ticket cheaper then turkish Air (would be $100 less)
as you said "SEASONALITY INVOLVED" if you go to Istanbul now you can get $400 instead of $1,000.
The last information American Airline Code-Shares with Turkish Airline, it means you can buy ticket from American Airline (Higher then Turkish Airline) but you can fly to Turkey with Turkish Airline.

Have a nice trip to Turkey and in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. I will track down a local Turkish travel agency and some online consolidators, and then wait for global events to unfold. Despite the Iraqi situation I figure that Turkey (at least the western half) must be safest Muslim population in the world for Americans right now.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:38 AM

I flew to Istanbul last September for $725, after booking at a Turkish agency here in New York. I found Turkish Air very comfortable and safe.

Enjoy your trip.