NYC-Feb 12-15-Fabergé Exhibit at Sotheby's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who haven't seen the spectacular pieces at the Forbes Collection, or those who just want to say "Poka" to one of the greatest collections of Faberge (and decorative arts) in the world before their return to Russia, Sotheby's is delighted to announce the public exhibition of highlights from the largest private collection of Fabergé in the world, including nine Fabergé Imperial Easter eggs. Once in the renowned Forbes Collection, these imperial treasures now belong to Russian industrialist Victor Vekselberg, who is returning the collection to Russia to place it on public exhibition. Before they leave the United States, they will be on display at Sotheby's.

Link is

http://search.sothebys.com/liveauctions/tfd/index.html

Free and open to the public

Thursday, February 12, 10:00 - 5:00
Friday, February 13, 10:00 - 5:00
Saturday, February 14, 10:00 - 5:00
Sunday, February 15, 10:00 - 5:00

Sotheby's New York Galleries
Upper East Side, Manhattan
72nd Street & York Avenue

General Inquiries: 212.606.7221

I imagine that if you offer a high enough figure Vekselberg would consider leaving a piece or two in the US.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Yes, I'm hoping to go myself tomorrow
thanks Marc
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:03 AM

I saw the Forbes Faberge pieces at the Forbes museum about 3 years ago. A truly incredible collection and a must see before it leaves the US
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:57 PM
blh

We recently (Christmas) saw the colletion at the Forbes Building while we were in NYC. When we saw they were going to be auctioned off, we were so glad we took the time to see them. They were fabulous needless to say! Go see them if you can!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:22 PM

The Riverfront Arts Center in Wilmington, DE, had a couple of spectacular Russia exhibits a few years ago. One was focussed on Nicholas and Alexandra, the other on Fabrege. I believe many of the Forbes eggs were in one exhibit or the other--or both.

Fabulous exhibits if you had a chance to see them. They even had Alexandra's diary turned to the last page. The diary, by the way, was in English. She was largely raised at Queen Victoria's court. Her mother was Victoria's daughter but her mother died young and Victoria had a hand in her upbringing--hence the English diary.

They had some wonderful huge malachite pieces from The Hermitage including a baptismal font as well.

Having said all of this, 3 more months to go before my elderhostel trip to Russia, which I see DJKBooks has endorsed on another thread.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Also, Nicholas and Alexandra corresponded to each other in English. while Nicholas wrote his diary largely in Russian. A friend of mine is translating this and it should be published in the next year or two.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:06 AM

I am so glad that I went to see the highlights from the Forbes collection, and so angry at myself for not having visited them while they were in the Forbes museum.
These were truly spectacular pieces.
Having now seen a number of Faberge pieces in exhibits over the years, including some I saw last month in the Queen's Gallery next to Buckingham Palace, I am confident enough to say that the Queen's pieces (at least the ones I saw) are "second rate" in comparison. I wouldn't turn one down mind you, but Malcolm Forbes had many of the best.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Does anyone know where the faberge eggs are in russia now?

My husband and i live on the west coast and were planning to see the eggs but then they were suddenly sold and sent off before we could make it to NYC...we're hoping to catch them duringo ur russia tour this july
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:52 AM

I believe the Fabrege eggs repatrioted to Russia will be exhibited in the Armory at The Kremlin in Moscow.

Marc, who is much more knowledgeable about Russia than I, will provide the details if he notices the question on this thread. I sure hope they are there when I go in June. While I have seen most of the eggs before, there are a couple I'd like to add for my viewing pleasure in Moscow.

And it would be very interesting to read Nicholas II's diary once it is translated.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Thanks Lauren,

I found this much info but haven't seen anything else..http://newsfromrussia.com/science/2004/02/05/52154.html

"According to Mr. Shtorkh, the Foundation will look for a place for the collection exhibition in Russia. So far, he noted, "it is not clear where the first exhibition will take place, but some suggestions have already been made." "The Moscow Kremlin, the Hermitage Museum and even the Christ the Savior Cathedral expressed their desire to grant premise for the collection. The final decision, however, will be made only after consultations with experts," he said.
After the first exhibition, "the Faberge Easter Eggs will set off for a tour of the country," Mr. Shtorkh said. At first the collection will go to Petersburg, he continued, then to Yekaterinburg (the Urals), then to a number of Russian regions which have not yet been chosen." "This is the country's treasure, it is returning to the country, and as many as possible people should see it," he underscored.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the update. Whether I see the Fabrege eggs or not over there, I am certain I will have a fabulous time in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Can't wait!
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I was at a presentation two weeks ago (at Sotheby's) given by two of the foremost experts on Faberge. They weren't sure what the schedule was for exhibiting the collection, but I'll call around to see.

Besides the former Forbes collection, there are great examples of Faberge's works at the Kremlin and at the Hermitage, but really the best pieces were in the Forbes Building on lower Fifth Avenue in New York, where few saw these masterpieces.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Hillwood, in Washington, D.C., also has a small but cherce collection of Fabergé pieces, including a fabulous Easter egg.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:30 PM

I agree on the recommendation of Hillwood. I live in the DC area and have been there a couple of times.

The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond also has some nice Fabrege pieces. Great museum and most people do not know about it!
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

The Pratt Collection (which contains the Fabergé at Virginia Museum of Fine Arts was touring a few years ago, something that was not allowed according to the bequest (the collection was "never to leave Virginia soil&quot. Geza von Habsburg mentioned in a recent lecture that the museum got around that restriction by having some Virginia soil tour with the fine objects, thus keeping to the letter of the bequest.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

According to a major dealer in Faberge, the former Forbes collection will be on display in Moscow starting May 17 or 19 (not sure which venue or for how long), and then they will go to St. Petersburg, Yekaterainberg (site of the last Czar's death, but more significantly where Vekselberg, its new owner, has most of his operations) and other cities.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

The exhibition will be at the Kremlin Armory in Moscow through approximately July 25
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM

thanks marc!

Old May 18th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

There is an article about the exhibition in the online edition of The Moscow Times, accessible for approximately a week:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...05/19/002.html

Incidentally, Yelena Gagarina, director of the Kremlin Museums, is the daughter of the late Yuri Gagarin, the first man to fly into space.