NY Times (8/24): Crime in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This article includes some interesting crime data for those planning a visit to Paris. It seems cell phones are as targeted as wallets, so be on guard those of you who rent phones while there.

The NY Times requires registration and objects to lengthy excerpts, so I'll just post this critical paragraph:

"..though the Métro and the big train stations have bad reputations, travel and police experts say that the likeliest venues in Paris for losing a wallet to a pickpocket include the BIG MUSEUMS, including the Louvre and the Musée d'Orsay; the R.E.R. train from Charles de Gaulle Airport, where thieves prey on jet-lagged travelers...; and the Métro Line No. 1, heavily frequented by tourists."

Metro Line No. 1. Is that the Cite line?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/24/travel/24rep.html
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Let me quickly add that I experience NO problems in Paris. This is not meant to unduly frighten anyone....just remind you to be on your guard. There are people in those crowds who will target you, specifically because you're a distracted tourist.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Degas

Thanks - Maybe you have already done this, but FYI, I signed up awhile back for the NYT's to email thier weekly travel articles.

This part of the article got my attention: "Most troubling, 7 of every 10 crimes committed in Paris involved weapons or violence, and the targets were increasingly tourists.'

Had no idea it was this high. I hope the hordes of thieves in Spain are not moving north. Still, its not going to stop me from going to Paris at least once a year.

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 11:59 AM

I just happened to read this article today. Is there any indication that the hoped-for reduction in 2004 is occurring?

I found it interesting that it's apparently common for cellphones to be snatched from one's hand. Obviously, then, locals are targetted just as tourists are.

I wasn't really planning on bringing a digital camera, but reading that makes me even less likely to do so.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:09 AM

This past week in Paris I had two experiences that have never happened before to me: a middle aged man in the St. Michel metro station approached us,asking if we were Americans, saying that he was from "San Diego, California" and began some long tale of being victim of pick pocket and needing to get to CDG. When we got the gist of his story, we walked away and looked back to see him talking to two young men, probably his confederates.
Next day on Champs-Elysees, a young woman approached us asking us if we speak English; I said "non" and walked on.

As I read this, it sounds as though these could have been legitimate requests, but believe me, they weren't.

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:33 AM

I know yesterday's Madrid bombing is making me paranoid but I do have sort of a dumb question. The Paris Metro system is supposed to be world famous, but I'm not sure what it is. Is it buses? Or is it an underground subway system? Also, you mentioned the line from CDG into Paris -- is that like the link between Heathrow and London?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Hoping to travel:
The Metro in Paris is an underground train system -- like the subway in New York, only much less extensive. By the way, most places in Europe including London when you say steps and a sign that says "Subway" it is merely an underground walkway, usually taking you below a busy street. Subway is a fairly unique term to the States for being a train type underground transport system.

CDG stand for Charles de Gaulle, which is the largest of the international airports in Paris. So CDG to Paris simply means getting from the airport into town.

And no, your questions are not dumb. How would you learn these answers if you don't ask. Asking was the smart part.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:45 AM

>>>>Next day on Champs-Elysees, a young woman approached us asking us if we speak English; I said "non" and walked on. <<<<

My wife and I spent a month in Paris and Rome - got to the point where we'd say "No" to that question regardless of who asked us - and we got asked a LOT while walking around. I sometimes felt bad as someone may have actually needed help, but there were just so many people trying to scam us that it was easier to walk away.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Yes, that happened with us also. We wondered why a native would ask if we spoke English-unless we stood out as tourists that much which I'm sure we didn't. They were natives so it made us suspicious. I know we were approached in the metro there at Ile de la Cite and above at the flower market. I think this area is notorious for pickpockets so maybe that's the reason.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:46 PM

Metro Line 1 is the one between Bastille and the Arc de Triomphe, etc., heavily used by tourists.

Often, when the trains stop at a station, there's a loudspeaker announcement is several languages "Be careful of your belongings, there are pickpockets in this station and on these trains." Whereupon, everyone immediately pats their valuables - something you should NOT do.

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Regarding the woman on the Champs Elysees asking "do you speak English". Over the years I have got to know two of these women and talk with them frequently. The routine goes like this:

Either one or sometimes two semi-attractive forty-something woman or women approach a neatly dressed prosperous looking man who is alone. They first determine what language you speak. They are very good at guessing your language just by your appearance. In English they will say to you "I (we) would like to go to a nice bar nearby to have a drink but I don't like to go alone and would like to go with a nice man such as yourself. Would you like to go have a drink with me? If you do after two or three drinks you will get a bill from the waiter that will knock your socks off. You will say "I don't have that kind of money on me". The waiter says "no problem and immediately there appears a healthy looking young guy who graciously informs you that he is going to accompany you to a conveniently located ATM where you can obtain the cash to pay your indebtedness. During this conversation and before your trip to the ATM the nice semi-attractive street lady has vanished. Welcome to Paris.

BTW the tall statuesque blond one is from Montpellier and seems very articulate and you would think above this sort of thing. If you get scammed by her you will have been had by Paris' best.

If you would like to meet her some evening just hang out in front of the entrance to the Lido where you can sit on the portal to the George V metro stop. Look lonely and you should have to wait no longer than 45 minutes or so and she will come along.

Bonne chance.
Larry J
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:28 AM
ira

Gee Larry,

Is she the daughter of the woman who scammed me on my first trip to Paris?
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:31 AM
ira

>...7 of every 10 crimes committed in Paris involved weapons or violence...<

This sounds horrible, until you think about it.

A purse snatching is 'violence'

A knife in the ribs is 'weapon'

They are qualitatively different.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 11:44 AM

To Ira:

>>Is she the daughter of the woman who scammed me on my first trip to Paris?<<

I'll no doubt see her in July; I'll ask her.

Larry J