Nuts to drive in Naples?

Mar 4th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Jen

Nuts to drive in Naples?

My husband and I are staying in Amalfi in May for a week and definitly want to go to Naples, at least one day. We'll have a rental car, but from all I've heard about how crazy driving in Naples is, is it best if we leave the car and bus or train it? Someone told us to drive down to Salerno, and take the train to Naples.

Is this feasible? Are there safe places in Salerno by the train station to leave the rental car?

Mar 4th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Betsy

I would not drive to Naples. Salerno is probably about an hour to hour and 1/2 away.Take a train is you can. I've stayed in Sorrento and know you can get a train to Naples from there as well as a boat.

Mar 4th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Celeste

I personally didn't have any trouble at all driving in Naples - it just took being alert and being completely comfortable with a five-speed shift - but parking is a nightmare so I second taking the train.

Mar 4th, 2001, 12:24 PM
wesley

Hello Jen

To drive around Naples can be quite an experience! Having driven there for a period of time I can tell you that in the US there is nothing to compare it with.
Any combination of bus, train, taxi and funicular can get you around. The bus on the Amalfi can be exciting also.
If you do drive and come upon an intersection with heavy traffic do not make direct eye contact with any other driver because that just gives them the green light to go. There are not many rules that are abided by if any. Also at peak hours do not be surprised to see a car driving down the sidewalk right beside you.

Have Fun!

Mar 4th, 2001, 04:45 PM
fred

wouild suggest go t sorrento and take the aliscofo(hyrafoil) across the bay to napoli. its reasonable fast and inexpensive. much easier to paark and get back to the almafi drive from sorrento. salerno is south of amalfi-why go south to then come all the way back up the coast. good trip

Mar 5th, 2001, 05:08 AM
joedy

I also recommend public trans. More so for the parking and security issues than the driving experience. The train from either Salerno or Sorrento is actually between 30 and 45 minutes. I think I'd rather leave my car in Sorrento.

Mar 5th, 2001, 08:15 AM
cmndesign

I had to drive to Naples almost everyday for a week for our wedding. We were in Maiori. What I did, was drive to the main station, Piazza Girabladi, park at the station in the paid parking lot, and either cabbed it, or took the train everwhere in the city. I had to pick people up there, and at the airport, plus go to numerous government offices to get all our paper work. It worked for us, and eventually I got used to the traffic. It's more the fact that in Naples you will experience sensory overload: pedestrians crossing everywhere on the stree, four lanes of cars, on a single lane road, and scooter weaving in and out. Just be smart, and hold it together. If you near nevevous breakdown time.................that when I recomend a cigarette! (and I don't smoke!)

Mar 7th, 2001, 10:35 AM
John

Agree with leaving the car in Sorrento under the assumption that you are going to limit your day to the city center - which can be filled with site seeing, museums and shopping. (Traffic flow and parking are 'unique' and not for the faint of heart - arrive early, early, early if you choose to drive in to city center and hope to find parking)

If you are leaving on an early flight from Naples - I have had good experience dropping the car in the parking lot at the airport, and using the drop box at the car rental night drop (Avis).

On my trips to Amalfi/Naples, I have experienced 'damage' each time I used a garage for a day trip. The damage insurance has been a no brainer for me - but perhaps I merely make bad choices for car parking or am unlucky.

Have a great week.

Mar 8th, 2001, 12:36 AM
Bob

You can park in Salerno at Piazza della Concordia which is on the waterfront, and is a short walk to the station. From there, you can get a train to any of the stations in Naples.