Reload this Page >

Nurenberg/Bamberg

Search

Nurenberg/Bamberg

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 04:19 PM
Jacki

Nurenberg/Bamberg

I will be spending a short time in the Nurenberg/Bamberg area in November. any advice on "don't miss" sites??

Old Oct 14th, 1998, 11:17 AM
Marv. Arkans

my wife & i were in Nuremberg last october, Since i was a warden at the war crimes trials i wanted to go back & show my wife. Go to the courthouse (palace of justice) & see what the 21 war criminals that were tried there had done. the courthose is a beautiful bldg., in full use as is the prison next to it. also, tour the old (walled) city. it has been rebuilt as it was before the 2nd world war.

Old Oct 21st, 1998, 01:53 PM
Don Stadler

They have a great art museum there, particularly if you have an interest in German folk art. That is what I remember fronm my first visit. I would have stayed the night but my companions wanted to go on to Rothenberg. <BR> <BR>I'm told that the best time to go is in early December so you can catch the Kriskindlemarket (Christmas market). The one in Nurnberg is reputed to be the best. I almost made it in December of 1996, but my company transferred me back to the US the very weekend I planned to take the trip!

Old Oct 21st, 1998, 01:53 PM
Don Stadler

They have a great art museum there, particularly if you have an interest in German folk art. That is what I remember fronm my first visit. I would have stayed the night but my companions wanted to go on to Rothenberg. <BR> <BR>I'm told that the best time to go is in early December so you can catch the Kriskindlemarket (Christmas market). The one in Nurnberg is reputed to be the best. I almost made it in December of 1996, but my company transferred me back to the US the very weekend I planned to take the trip!

Old Oct 22nd, 1998, 01:34 PM
Kay

Jacki, you MUST go to Bamberg. It has a very compact old town, just stuffed with wonderful old buildings. Some guidebooks call it the prettiest town in Germany, and it is not touristy at all, esp. compared to Rothenburg. The old town hall is built in the middle of the town's river and is decorated very ornately. There is also a very old cathedral and surrounding buildings, from around 1100 AD, if my memory serves correctly. The walks around the entire area are very beautiful. There are also exceptional antique stores, but pricey looking. Browsing is fine, though. <BR> <BR>In Nurnberg, I would go to the area where the Nazis had their large rallies. It is located in the SW of the city but not labeled as such. The lead Nazi architect Speer designed a Rome coliseum type building that still stands and is immense. The whole thing is interesting and distinctly chilling!

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 09:41 AM
Bob

If you have a car try a short drive over to Rothenburg. Nice drive thru the countryside and neat town to see. If u are interested in WWII stuff, Nuremberg also has the stadium where Hitler made the famous speehes at the rallies. Interesting to stand in the same spot he did. <BR>

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 11:44 AM
Aurora

When we tried to locate that big stadium in Nuremberg, a woman at the tourist information office in the center of town played dumb. Never heard of such a place. Another person standing nearby motioned us over; "Ask the location of the Zeppelin Field," he advised. Suddenly, our unfriendly friend knew we meant business. Sure enough, there it was -- starting to crumble, kids using the backside of the stands as a tennis wall, and weeds everywhere. It's a couple miles from the center of town, surrounded by other buildings the Nazis built to house their crowds. Albert Speer designed the stadium. But, to save money, used poor-grade stone. It's crumbling fast.