Best Hotel Area for Elderly Traveler

Old Oct 17th, 1998, 06:36 PM
Bill Fleites

Best Hotel Area for Elderly Traveler

Hello, I'll be taking my 65 year old mom to Paris next year. I'm used to staying in the 7th arr and taking the metro to get around. However, for this trip I'm thinking that it might be better to stay closer to the center (near the Louvre) and avoid the subway by using taxis to get around in order to make it easier for my mom. What do you all think ? Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced centrally located hotel ?

Old Oct 18th, 1998, 10:55 AM
Kutzko

Bill Fleites:
Regarding the Paris hotels....you might check out the Grand Hotel Leveque, in Rue Cler. Metro stop is Ecole Militaire; it's very close to some nice cafes, & reasonably priced (singles are 250FF; doubles 385FF). They also offer a continental breakfast for 30FF/person, but this is NOT included in the room price. There is an elevator. e-mail to:
[email protected] Bonne chance!

Old Oct 18th, 1998, 12:47 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Bill: Have you considered using busses? They run all over Paris--and you can SEE where you're going. The same tickets that get you on the Metro are good on the buses. Long ago I found a pocket-sized guide to the bus system in the book dept. at Galeries Lafayette. I'm sure they still have them. When you and your mom get to Paris, head to a bookstore and pick up a copy. You'll still be able to stay in the 7th arr. (I stayed there my last trip tho' I always headed for the area around the Arc de Triomphe previously.) More nice places to eat in the 7th though. Bon voyage! Joan

Old Nov 12th, 1998, 11:08 AM
Louise

Dear Bill: Just came back from Paris with my 75 year old mother.I decided to stay at the Hotel du Louvre, which was right next door to the Louvre and all the sites we were interested in seeing were within walking distance, except for the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe, so we took a cab. But there is a metro stop outside the hotel,Its the Palais Royal Stop. The hotel had a wonderful American breakfast, elevator, room service, the people there are great. if you have any questions about it Email me.

Old Nov 12th, 1998, 12:50 PM
Mary

Bill, is your mom still traveling
with you after your posting on here
about "elderly traveler"? I'm not
near 65 but when I get there, my kid
better not post she's taking her
"elderly mom" anywheres. Anyhow,
this is the 20th century, we are NOT
elderly at 65! Take a look at
Sophia Loren and some others. Age is
in the mind of the beholder so don't
make your beloved mom think she is
elderly. I bet she can outdo you if
she wants to.<g> Repost this when
she's 80!<g> Have a great trip anyway!!

Mary

Old Nov 12th, 1998, 01:58 PM
Arizona

Mary: I took your advice and looked at Sophia Loren...hmmmm...not bad. At 71, I could not agree more with you -- 65 is just fine. "Elderly" is a word chosen by younger folks to denote anyone over 50 -- and I wonder how they will feel when they reach 70! Kidding aside, I bet Bill (the original poster) will be amazed how he will have to huff and puff to keep up with "65 year old mom" once he gets her to Paris! Wouldn't you love to see that!!!

Old Nov 12th, 1998, 03:31 PM
Louis

If steps and stairs are not good with your mom, I would stay away from the subway. If she also has a hard time in getting onto buses, then I would stay near the Louvre and take a taxi. A couple of other hotels in the area are Le Relais du Louvre at 19, rue des Pretres-Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois in the 800-900F range and the Hotel Louvre St-Honore 141, rue Sain-Honore in the 762-862F range. The first has a very interesting location near both the Louvre and the Siene in one of the most prestigious areas of Paris. Rates are 1997 time frame.

Old Nov 12th, 1998, 11:10 PM
Donna

I think the 7th is your best bet. And, taking the buses is an excellent idea. On a ten day trip, we should have tried the buses much sooner! The stops are much more conveniently located - and you avoid the stairs and hallways of the metro. On a bus, you have the advantage of being able to see all the gorgeous surroundings. If you stay near the Ecole Militaire metro stop, there are half a dozen or more bus lines that will take you all over Paris. Hotel de la Bourdonais is very nice and moderately priced, and on the opposite corner of the Ecole Militaire metro stop. But there are many others in the neighborhood. Remember, in Paris, the bus driver doesn't stop at the bus stop unless you wave. An excellent resource is The Paris Mapguide, which has all the bus routes and stops on colorful neighborhood maps, with all the sights and attractions (and many hotels and restaurants) marked.

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 09:04 PM
Dayle

We were in Paris last month and stayed just a couple blocks from the Louvre at the Hotel St. James and Albany. Our friend's senior citizen mom originally booked the room for the first week with her son and daughter. When mom went home, we joined our friend under mom's senior citizen discount. That made this 4 star hotel more reasonable, so be sure to ask about the discounts, and be sure to insist on a remodeled room. Don't let them give you the really horrible old rooms! Also, just 1/2 block from the hotel is Cityrama/Greyline tour bus company. They have continuous stops at all the major sites as well as many full and half day tours to places just outside Paris, such are Versailles and Giverny. We did Giverny and would recommend it highly! Check out their web site at www.cityrama.com. Have a wonderful time!

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 10:11 PM
Bill Fleites

Thanks everyone for the great advice in helping me find the best hotel area for elder.. er mature traveler. We've decided to stay in the 7th arr at the recommended Grand Hotel Leveque since it is highly recommended in this forum and by Rick Steves (can't go wrong). Then we'll use buses and taxis to get around, and not the metro. I've used the metro in the past and the many stairs have left me huffing and puffing, and it is my main concern to not put my mom thru this. Thanks for the Cityrama bus tour advice, if they have continuosly running buses that stop at all tourist sites, then I'll them as much as possible to get around.