Nuremburg in mid December

Nov 8th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Nuremburg in mid December

Hi Forum, I will be in Nuremburg for about 3 to 4 days in mid December. Can someone tell me about the Craft area in Nuremburg, thru the gate? We plan to see the Durer House, and of course the Christmas markets, and Documentation Center. More ideas please. Thanks. Sue
Nov 9th, 2019, 06:46 AM

I assume by craft area you're referring to the Handwerkerhof.

I've been there a few times, and while interesting, it can be a crush in December, to the point you can't see or shop much due to all the people milling about. We found a great little wine bar there, good memories from that trip.

You'll find more info here:

https://www.nuernberg.de/internet/handwerkerhof/

You might also enjoy visiting Kaiserburg:

https://www.kaiserburg-nuernberg.de/

And we've seen some wonderful Advent concerts in a church in Nuremburg. I'll look up the details in my TRs and post back in a bit.

Nov 9th, 2019, 06:57 AM

Other suggestions - St Lorenz Kirche, home to the largest organ in a German protestant church with some 12,156 pipes - check the church's schedule for organ concerts

Regarding the Dokumentationszentrum Reichsparteitagsgelände (Documentation Centre Nazi Party Rally Grounds). Give yourself plenty of time for this visit - we spent two hours there, but could have used twice that.

The church I referred to above is St Klara Kirche. We've seen some lovely Advent concerts there - if this appeals, suggest you check their online schedule to see if anything is on during your stay (and go early as it's a small church and fills quickly).
Nov 10th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Melnq, We are going a couple days ahead of a cruise, so want to try to see some places on our own. Sounds like a lovely Kirche, will check that out. Sue
Nov 10th, 2019, 07:23 AM

You could also consider taking a day trip (by train) to a nearby city like Bamberg or Regensburg.
Nov 10th, 2019, 05:45 PM

There is a gift shop across the street from the Durer house that had some great prints and calendars. I also loved that church. The cross where you can light a candle is beautiful. Hotel Victoria was a nice place to stay. Try the sausages they sell on the streets. I was not overly impressed by the crafts area. The street markets were wonderful though.