Nuremberg Daytrips

Search

Nuremberg Daytrips

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuremberg Daytrips

Looking at visiting Nuremberg for two days then using it as a base to do daytrips. Considering the following Daytrips: Wurzberg (1.25 hr by train), Bamberg (45 mins by train), Regensburg (1.25 hr by train). Looking for feedback on these daytrips and other possible options using public transportation. Good to know info on buying train tickets and attractions is welcome.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 08:46 AM

We based in Nuremberg and did day trips to Regensburg and Bamberg. Both were easy and enjoyable. In my trip report (part you are interested in is near the end) I describe which train passes/tickets worked best for which day trips.

Bavaria to Bratislava and Back in three weeks
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks isabel - I read your great trip report yesterday and it inspired me to explore this region.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 10:20 AM

You can use the Bavarian Lander ticket - a day pass valid on regional trains and buses and city transports for about 30-35 euros total for two - buy it at stations no need to pre-book - regional trains don't even have seat reservations. for lots on German trains check www.bahn.de/en - www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ
You can use the Bavarian Lander ticket - a day pass valid on regional trains and buses and city transports for about 30-35 euros total for two - buy it at stations no need to pre-book - regional trains don't even have seat reservations. for lots on German trains check www.bahn.de/en - www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts.
thanks PalenQ
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 10:54 AM

We really enjoyed Bamberg - I would definitely have that on the list.

We also did a day trip to Rothenburg obT from Nuremburg, which took a little longer to get to and a couple train changes, but still a relatively easy journey. RobT gets pretty busy since the tourist buses stop there, but we found it pretty easy to get off the beaten path, while still wandering around the old walled town - and if you aren't there in the height of summer, it's probably not as busy anyway.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 10:58 AM

Bamberg would be at the top of my list.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by november_moon
We really enjoyed Bamberg - I would definitely have that on the list.

We also did a day trip to Rothenburg obT from Nuremburg, which took a little longer to get to and a couple train changes, but still a relatively easy journey. RobT gets pretty busy since the tourist buses stop there, but we found it pretty easy to get off the beaten path, while still wandering around the old walled town - and if you aren't there in the height of summer, it's probably not as busy anyway.
thanks - that town is very tempting but I am hesitant due to the total time required and train changes. Have not used German trains before. Will look at it further.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Bamberg would be at the top of my list.
yes, it looks awesome
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 11:33 AM

German trains are really easy to navigate - don't worry. Signage is good, trains run on time, station agents generally speak pretty good English so they can help you even if your German isn't up to snuff.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 12:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Ingolstadt has Audi tours, factory and museum. Hotel Victoria is very good, the best breakfast I have ever had in Germany. Not far from where you exit the train tunnel.
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - good to know
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on Coburg? Seems interesting and looks to be only an hour away by train?
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 09:24 AM

It's really easy to take train to Rothenburg - the most touristed town in Germany or one of them - can be mobbed in center but yes walking the walls and such - anyway a sight to behold. Just 75 minutes away and the changes are easy - last one onto the shuttle train to Rothenburg off the main line.
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PalenQ, we might time it to arrive later in the afternoon, spend the night, explore in the morning then depart as the tour buses pile in.
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 12:55 PM

Then you can take the very popular Night Watchman's Tour which folks here rave about (I only day tripped in so missed the tour).

https://tourismus.rothenburg.de/index.php?id=516

https://www.google.com/search?q=roth...w=1280&bih=625

Are you planning to visit the Nazi Parade Grounds just south of Nurnberg? I really enjoyed poking around the stadiums like the one Hitler famously reviewed goose-stepping SS troops - the long parade ground was restored some years ago. There is also a Documentation Center about what happened here, etc. Just a short S-Bahn ride from Nurnberg. Could occupy much of a day.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mazi...w=1280&bih=625
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ, the Night Watchmans Tour is on our list. Had not previously considered the Parade Grounds, but it’s on my radar now.
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 06:43 AM

Würzburg, Bamberg and Regensburg are all great day trips.
Eichstätt is another possibility -- popular with German tourists with lots of good hiking and biking trails as well as an old castle, a cathedral and an attractive Baroque town center
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vttraveler
Würzburg, Bamberg and Regensburg are all great day trips.
Eichstätt is another possibility -- popular with German tourists with lots of good hiking and biking trails as well as an old castle, a cathedral and an attractive Baroque town center
Thanks for the feedback on Eichstätt, if I have more time, it might be an add because of the hiking and biking opportunities
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by november_moon
German trains are really easy to navigate - don't worry. Signage is good, trains run on time, station agents generally speak pretty good English so they can help you even if your German isn't up to snuff.
thanks for your feedback. I had some quick changes in Switzerland this year and never missed a train, so it’s good to know German trains are similar 👌

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -