Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Novice question--How do you go thru hundreds of posts here and then pickup where you left off at a later date?

Search

Novice question--How do you go thru hundreds of posts here and then pickup where you left off at a later date?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm somewhat new to this site so forgive me if this is obvious to all you veterins.

Is it possible when you're searching back through the hundreds of previous posts to bookmark where you leave off so you can pickup at a later date and time without having to scroll thru the 500 posts you've already looked at?

It's just so frustrating. I figure there must be a way!
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If I'm interested I add a small post to the thread. Either a question, or some people simply type in the word "bookmarking". Then you click on your blue underlined "Author: Name" and it brings up only those threads you have participated in.

Another way is to use the Search feature, for that you'd need to jot down some exact key words from the title of a post.

One more is to sort by countries, but that only works if the person who started it picked a specific country reference when they made the original thread.

I'm sure other folks will chime in with other tricks...
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:22 AM
rex

This helps - - but only a little bit...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgTopic...&start=500

(or make it any number you choose)...

You still have to keep track, mentally (or on paper), of "how far back" - - in days - - that represents.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

So there's no way to search via a date range?? I'm not looking for find posts that I've participated in, I'm looking to do research for an upcoming trip.
For example, let's say I've got lots of time on my hands and I start scrolling back through all posts (no particular country) and I get as far as April 15th. A week later I want to resume. Let's say that April 15th is 1500 posts into the database. Is there anyway to come back and start seaching from April 15 and all posts made prior to that date? I guess I'm looking for a "search by date" function. In my world of computers I'd want to use an advanced search string and request the database to show all posts made between Jan 1, 2006 & April 15, 2006.

I know that new posts are always coming up so the post that's 250 when I start searching will be a different number when I resubmit the request. That's why a date range would be beneficial.
Hope I'm making sense!

Is this possible?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Posts are searchable by individual date (but not range) by going to Google and entering <b>&quot;Date: mm/dd/yyyy&quot; site:fodors.com</b>

Since Google will AND together any parameters you type, you can find posts concerning hotels in Paris by entering <b>&quot;Date: 05/05/2005&quot; paris hotel site:fodors.com</b>
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Squeak's question is good - is there a way to 'jump' backwards rather than slogging through the &quot;50 previous&quot; again until you finally get to the spot where you left off reading?

I missed May 11-21 while on vacation, tried to go backwards in time, and had to give it up after reading a couple day's worth. Then, no way to go back again to that spot without plowing thru the &quot;50 previous&quot; about a 100 times.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
rex

&lt;&lt; Then, no way to go back again to that spot without plowing thru the &quot;50 previous&quot; about a 100 times. &gt;&gt;

Re-read my post above; substitute the number 5000 (or any number you wish) for &quot;start=&quot;...

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM

On my computer, that technique doesn't quite work. True, it gives you a window with a list of the next 50 posts - but if you click on one, then it opens a page with a fresh menu/list on the left and just the one old post that you opened. You have to go back and forth between windows to continue down the older list... I guess it's better than not getting back there at all...
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Also, the date thing is tricky because the lists are constantly moving and rearranging themselves. Do you really want to read every single post from every single day in order? Is that the goal? You've got your work cut out for you, Squeak!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

We're going to multiple countries so I thought it would be easier to view all instead of first looking at France, then Belgium, then the Netherlands..etc.

I guess there isn't an easy way and I experienced the same situation as Travelnut when I used Rex's technique. You do need 2 windows and you have to toggle back &amp; forth. I'm really only looking for posts within the past 6 to 9 months. Once you get beyond that I think the information can become outdated.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:26 AM

You can Google a month at a time by judicious selection of search criteria. For example, to see what people said about Amalfi this month, you could

<b>amalfi &quot;Date: 06/&quot; &quot;/2006&quot; site:fodors.com</b>
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Robespierre,
Thanks a bunch. Great time saver.