November in Rome - Book Apartment Now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many months in advance do I need to book an apartment in Rome for a trip in November? The idea of paying out a nonrefundable deposit five months in advance makes me nervous...

The apartment is for two adults and one toddler and we would prefer the area near Piazza Navona or Campo de' Fiori.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:35 AM

Hi mebe,

For our Rome trip last November, I booked our apartment three months ahead in August. We used Sleep in Italy and were pleased.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:42 AM

mebe,

Just got back yesterday from an all too brief trip to Rome. We rented from Real Rome. They put the deposit on your credit card and then credit your account when you arrive (you pay the entire bill in cash upon arrival). Might this work for you?

You can look up reviews of specific apartments as well as agencies on slowtrav.com. We were quite pleased with Real Rome, but have also used Underground Viaggi with no problem. Both are reviewed on slowtrav.

Best of luck!
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!

Another reason I asked this question was my husband's request that I take a break from my weeks of apartment research. He thinks I'm getting obsessed; that I pick new reasons to throw out my favorites, such as large deposits, just so I can do more research and continue the cycle. He may be right. I have throughly searched slowtrav (I pick out a recommended apartment or agency, go to their website and then this one for a few extra opinions. Husband says too many opinions and I should just through a dart

Gracie04 - I know that sleep in italy is well recieved on this website. But when I emailed them about an apartment it took them over a week to respond, not the 24 hours advertised. But if you booked in August, maybe I can relax (for at least a day or so)and take a break. Was Rome in November as "brutal" and "chaotic" as its repetation leads me to believe?

Leely - I am sure I have checked out Real Rome but I will give them a second look. Underground Viaggi was one of the agencies that made it to my favorites and prompted this question. I like that it's a small agency but do you think for that reason they will book up quickly?
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:11 PM

We rented from Mauro (of Underground Viaggi) in...2003, so I'm not sure if his business has grown, shrunk or what. I do recall that I wired money or something for a deposit with them. Didn't have to do anything that "complicated" (it was actually pretty easy) with Real Rome last week.

I'm pretty comfortable renting apartments now, and I don't travel with children, so my requirements/neuroses may be different than yours. But really I haven't had any problems.

Rome is such an incredible city that frankly it's hard for me to imagine being unhappy there. November will be great--last week was very hot. I think I prefer Rome in colder weather, and it might be easier with a toddler.

Enjoy your time in Rome, and please let us know what agency you decide on.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Leely -

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond; in a bit of serendipity my modum crashed and I was internet-less for two days. My husband loved the break. I liked the layout of Real Rome's website and I did see a few possiblities. Now that I am back online I can email them my specifics and see what happens. They also had great general tips for searching for apartments. Could you share some details about your stay with them?
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:50 PM

mebe,

You know a poster here (screen name Barb) actually mentioned she will be using them this fall for the third time, so you may want to try to "find" her or maybe you'll luck out and she'll see this thread.

Basically, I just thought they were very easy to deal with: things were as I expected. They answered e-mails promptly, arranged our transportation to and from the airport, etc., and it all went off without a hitch. The apartment had all the amenities described on their web site.

You do have to make the entire payment in cash on arrival, however. I had done this before and it's not particularly unusual, so no prob for us.

Looking back at your original question, I should let you know that I think I booked our apartment in early April for late May. So maybe you don't have to make a choice so soon! That should drive your husband nice and crazy.

Best wishes,
Leely
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Leely - I will admit the break from hunting down apartments was nice...but I still remain completely addicted to this website.