November in Europe

Search

November in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
November in Europe

While I know November may not be the best time to go to Europe, but my family and I are; my wife and I, and two kids (11 and 9). Due to several circumstances beyond our control, we find ourselves going to Europe for Thanksgiving (but then again, Europe is still Europe so we're excited even though it's not the ideal time to be there). We will be there November 21st through the 29th flying into LHR. We were in London last year and would rather fly out to another city or place in Europe during that week. I am posting this message to ask suggestions on where to go other than London? Unfortunately, we have no choice of where to fly into and out of. SFO-LHR-SFO only. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:42 PM

What are your interests? What have you already seen? My first instinct is to fly south (Spain, Portugal etc) to warmer places...
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:43 PM

Or you could go to Germany...I believe most of the Christmas Markets start that week...
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Christmas markets in Switzerland:
http://www.linker.ch/eigenlink/weihnachtsmarkt.htm

Christmas markets in Germany:
http://www.weihnachtsmarkt-deutschland.de/

Christmas markets in Austria:
http://www.weihnachtsmaerkte-guide.d...7743,1630.html
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:55 AM

I enjoyed Spain in Nov, specially Southern Spain. I also spent Thanksgiving 2004 in Paris and that was very enjoyable as well. Of course, it is just another working day.

I would look into flying to Malaga and basing in Malaga and Seville.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:44 AM

Check Ryanair flights from Stansted. Train to Scotland or Wales. Tour England.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:14 AM

November is not a good month for Northern Europe: Rainy, cold, very short days (from 9:00 to 16:00).

For museums, restaurants, bars etc. it is okay, but outdoor activities are not much fun in November. Even monuments and architecture are not as shining as in summer.

Think about a cheap flight from London to Andalucia (and/or Mallorca, Sicily, North Africa). For November, there should be good offers.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:27 AM

Or Provence.

We spent Thanksgiving in Aix in 2006. Warm enough to sit at the cafes without supplementary heaters, still leaves on the Cours Mirabeau, a Christmas market.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:27 AM

We had a great time in Prague and Berlin in late November a couple of years ago. We were lucky with the weather--only had rain one day which we spent mostly in palaces and museums.

Certainly outdoor activities would not be the highlight that far north, but there was so much to do in those cities that it didn't matter to us.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. My wife and I thought of Prague or Budapest. Both places we have not visited before. My 11 year old suggested Athens (as a follow-up to the Rome visit we had last March...)...

On the other hand, we have not been to Portugal or Spain either...

Christmas markets in Germany, or Switzerland and Austria sounds intruiging, but we have been to both Germany and Switzerland before (albeit not November)...it would be nice to visit somewhere we have not been.

Thanks again Fodorites. I will definitely check out Ryanair and EasyJet...but I also heard they have luggage restrictions(???).
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:00 AM

You are getting good ideas from posters. I would add Croatia to the list - it is a spectacular country with so much to offer including a lovely climate.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM

I've spent late Novemebre in Berlin, Prague, Munich, and a few other locations.

It was cold and damp but not unbearably so up north and Prague was MUCH less crowded than when I had visited in August.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 07:59 AM

Our time in Belgium and Austria 2 years ago was just a week ahead of your trip and fabulous.-great walking weather, still flowers in some window boxes, lunched outside, and only one day of rain. Trains were great for travel, and you see lots of the countryside. Salzburg and Vienna has concert/opera season in full swing, too.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:43 AM

We tend to travel to Europe only in the fall and actually prefer November. It might be chilly and damp but we just love to go at that time, since the crowds tend to be less and our wedding anniversary is in November. It is always nice to celebrate in Paris or Venice or London or Munich or where ever we happen to be. November is an excellent time to go.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM

I went to Seville over Thanksgiving during a semester in London; it was a great time to be there. I'd highly recommend it. I had friends that went to Scotland over the break, where it was miserably cold, windy and rainy.

Ryanair and Easyjet do have luggage restrictions, but if you're willing to pack light and plan ahead, you'll be fine. Another advantage of going somewhere warmer - no heavy sweaters, etc. to pack!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:15 AM

Budapest or Prague are both good suggestions. If you are lucky you have two great cities, both with good weather and beautiful buildings and opportunities. If you are unlucky it will be raining, windy and a cold experience.

But anyway, both these cities are absolutely worth visiting, and they are easy to reach from London.

My personal favorite is Budapest, so I would recommend that first and foremost!

Good luck making a wise decision
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM

I flew between LHR and GDG on Baby BMI for a very cheap rate. Not sure where else they fly. It would be good to avoid changing airports.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM

We go to France every year the week before Thanksgiving. We need to brace ourselves for that family event! What we have found is the weather in Paris is much like New England. Totally unpredictable. However the further south we have gone the more predictably warm it has been. You might consider Southern France on the west side (Biarritz, St. Jean du Luz) and then you have the access to Spain just across the border. It is off season there, but lovely none the less. San Sebastian has a nice aquarium and a trip to Bilbao to see the Gugenheim is a treat not to be missed. Ryanair into Biarritz from London is about $80 r/t
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 03:12 AM

The low-cost airlines fly from the smaller airports (See here - http://www.low-cost-airline-guide.com/) to see where you can go.

I would recommend flying south as well. Both Easyjet and RyanAir charge for each piece of checked luggage, but it's not expensive. For a week, you'd have a piece each so it wouldn't be a big deal. I fly Easyjet a lot and love it, but haven't done RyanAir yet (ask me again in July!).

Prague is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. But it will be cold. Easyjet flies there from Gatwick. Since you're in San Fran, you won't be as desperate for a break from the cold as we are! Prague has been my favourite trip so far, it's stunning. Haven't made it to Budapest yet, but it's on our list - you can fly there direct on Easyjet from Luton.

Have fun!

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 03:24 AM

Amsterdam is a nice city too although the weather can be bitter in November. I spent ten days there in November but it's certainly worthwhile. You can jump into small places to have a tea or a hot chocolate. The food is cheap and great, in general.

The kids will love Amsterdam too. The boats and barges along all of the canals intrigue the kids. You can walk everywhere and jump onto the trolley if you're tired. You can buy tickets which will give you full access for your length of your stay.

Overall, Amsterdam is one of the best cities in western Europe. Real neighborhoods still live in this city.

Blackduff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -