Search

Nova Car Hire - anyone familiar?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nova Car Hire - anyone familiar?

Hello everyone,

Shopping for a rental car in France, I came across a very good price from Nove Car Hire (renting through Alamo - I think).

Does anyone have experience with them? The quote includes taxes, airport&location taxes, liability insurance, etc.

Is this too good to be true?

thanks,
dk

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM

I have never used them, but as far as I know, Nova is a legit and good company.

Have you also checked autoeurope.com and kemwell.com?

If Nova has a better price, then call autoeurope or kemwell and they will beat the price.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

I called Kemwel, and they are checking the quote with Nova and will get back to me in 24-48 hrs to tell me if they can beat it.
(crossing my fingers).

Nova quote is good till March 4th. I wanted to talk with them on the phone, but keep getting msg about office being closed...
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I've used Nova in France with no problem. Their prices are good and do include CDW with some deductible (excess). They also include location fee ($42 with Kemwel)and the road fee ($17 with K).

This time I decided on Kemwel and will use my credit car for full CDW coverage. Kemwel is less until you add those two fees. I'm thinking of asking Kemwel to include them, but I noticed in their price guarantee that they'll match any major "USA" supplier. Nova is based in Ireland--probably why you aren't getting them by phone.

Let me know if Kemwel beats Nova's price.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:25 PM
ira

Hi dk,

Did you also try www.autoeurope.com and gemut.com?

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Jeff,

Do you know what he deductible was through Nova? Did you buy the additional insurance to cover that deductible?
It sems easier to just have my CC cover the CDW, so I'm hoping that Kemwel and gamut.com will come back with a counter offer where I can use my CC.

I will report back.

And Ira - yes I did. Kemwel was cheaper than autoeurope, and then gamut.com matched them. I think they are all "branches" of autoeurope.

dk
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

BTW, the car model is Citroen C4, 2DR/4DR Manual with AirCon.

It's in the compact category. That should be fine, right?

thanks,
dk
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
esm

Hi dk,

Please post back as I'm interested in renting a car in France and didn't know about Nova until I saw this.

I looked at their website briefly and am not sure if the option of declining CDW is available. I'd prefer to use my credit card coverage. Thanks.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 04:41 PM

dkAZ--I just didn't worry about the deductible, but it was also quite a bit less last year. This year, the Nova terms and conditions specify the "excess" as being nearly $1500 for a compact. Its about $850 for many economy sizes. I'm not sure that Nova will provide insurance without the CDW coverage. I went with Nova last year because AutoEurope was considerable more. They've matched others in the past, but thought that AE should be more competitive in the first place.

I always reserve the smallest car available and do get a small car, but none have been tiny and all had AC and were diesels. I've never had a problem on the autoroutes with the cars they give me and really prefer a small car for exploring.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Nova provides a link to another company that sells additional insurance that would cover the deductible. For my rental period of 5 days, it would be about 24 british pounds - so about $50 US dollars (I think). Even if I purchase that insurance, Nova rental would still be cheaper than the others, since I won't have to pay for the airport and road tax.

I do prefer to pay and be covered by my CC - so I hope I get some counter offers...

dk
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

I am still waiting to see if AutoEurope will match the Nova quote. They are working on it.

I did find out from my American Express card that even though Nova includes CDW in their rate, that American Express will still cover the deductible. I didn't think they would, but according to the phone representative, I will still be covered.

Also, the person from gamut.com emailed me an arcticle on why I should not rent from Nova (they seemed very familiar with them). The article mentioned gamut.com many times favorably.

Here is the text that worried me about no being covered by my CC:

"Collision and theft insurance is of perhaps the greatest concern to North American travelers who are best served by relying on a credit card for free, zero deductible CDW/theft coverage. Nearly all overseas bookers include these coverages in their basic rates, but with a very high deductible or “excess,” frequently more than $2000. In order to reduce that to zero you’ll have to purchase additional coverage at about $10 to $30 per day. Since your credit card requires that you decline any CDW/theft coverage offered by the rental company, they step out of the picture if you accept the rental company's insurance. Once you consider the extra insurance, these overseas deals are much less attractive"

http://blog.theeuropetraveler.com/20...l-brokers.html

dk
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:50 PM

I've used Nova LOTS of times because their prices can't be beat. We have also had good service from them when we did have a problem with the rental place. Highly recommended as far as I am concerned. I think once AutoEurope just told me they couldn't match Nova's price because it was such a good rate.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 04:56 PM

It's interesting that AutoEurope isn't responding right away with a matching quote. They have for me in the past, but they've also reduced the inclusive coverage to basic. They also then requested payment in full.

Although Gemut gets rave reviews here, my recent experience via their website/email has been less than glowing. You might also keep in mind that Gemut's article may or may not be completely objective.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 03:39 AM

We've used Nova and Autoeurope and Gemut with no problems. We just go with the one that gives the best overall deal.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Well, Auto Europe finally responded. It turned out that all my quotes from Kemwel and gamut showed up in the Auto Europe reservations database, so a person from Auto Europe contacted me to match the offer from Nova.
They did beat it. Nova wanted 156.85E and Auto Europe is beating it at 150E. I had to talk him down a bit, since he was only going to give me the same rate. I tried to get the change in USD, but no go.

Here are the terms that Auto Europe gave me. They claimed that it was better than Nova because my CDW deductible will be refunded by them.

YOUR RENTAL INCLUDES
* V.A.T. as of Booking Date: 29-Feb-2008. Unlimited mileage and fire insurance. Liability Insurance for injuries or damages to persons or things outside the vehicle.
* Rental includes Collision Damage coverage and Theft Protection for the vehicle. Rental limits potential vehicle damage or loss liability to an excess of approx EUR 775.
* Excess Refund Cover from Auto Europe Should the local supplier charge you for the excess amount on the vehicle you may reclaim this charge providing you complete a police accident form & an accident report form with the supplier when returning the car copies of which should then be sent to Auto Europe
* Rental includes Location Surcharge for rental commencing at an airport or railstation location. Rental includes a daily road tax . First additional driver.
RENTAL DOES NOT INCLUDE
* Insurance coverage for personal injuries to driver or passengers. Optional coverage may be offered locally for an additional fee.
* Fuel, client is advised to return the vehicle with a full fuel tank and to retain a copy of final receipt for their records.
* Optional coverage may be available locally at an additional cost that will reduce the insurance excess. * Local toll, highway fees, or travel stickers which may be required by local authorities.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

JEFF_
I was totally being sarcastic about the article that gamut sent me. It seemed very self promoting. And in my case, my American Express card does cover the CDW even if I'm partially covered.

BTW, I do have to pay in full in advance, but I actually prefer it. Better do it now before the exchange rate gets even worse. Although Auto Europe did tell me that if the exchange rate changes in my favor that they will void the previous transaction and rerun the change.

dk
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:43 AM

dkAZ - You did well indeed.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JEFF!

I could never have done it without the help from all you fodorites!!