Not tonite dear, I have a headache!!!

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:06 AM
sharon

Not tonite dear, I have a headache!!!

Heading to Italy and I KNOW I won't be able to resist the lovely red wines...and may occasionally over indulge What's your best wine hangover cure???

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Patty

My husband is a physician and this is his(tried and true) cure:

1. before retiring take 2 advil, aspirin or whatever you brought with a LARGE glass of water.

2. Somewhere around 3-5 am you will have to get up to pee. After you do, repeat step one.

This has NEVER failed. Enjoy!

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Diane

Don't drink on an empty stomach, and be sure to eat while drinking. Also, drink plenty of water throughout the day/night. If you are thirsty, quench your thirst with water...not wine! It will go straight to your head.

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:20 AM
s.fowler

Drink a LOT of water and take two advil and/or vitamin C before I go to sleep. My problem is more sinus, which can happen after one gladd. This is far from foolproof, but it does take the edge off.

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Thyra

I find that I don't get AS bad headaches when I drink overseas.. I was told once that US alchohol regulations are so strict, that to lower the alchohol content many companies use chemicals that you don't see so often in Europe.. I dont'know if this is true or not, but I do think I have less of a reaction to the beer overseas.
Otherwise, keep tons and tons of bottled water near your bed, some plain bread..for the upset tummy, a few tums, vitamin C and aspirin for the headache.

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Jane

warm Coca-Cola. If you fear you've indulged, put it by your bedside before you go to sleep so you can reach it without having to open your eyes. It will raise your blood sugar and the caffeine will help the headache.

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Just

Just a word of caution re: the first response. I believe studies have indicated that you should not take tylenol sp? type products while drinking, or after you have been drinking? This may result in liver damage. Maybe someone can elaborate on this.

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Judy

Sharon, lots and lots of seltzer or club soda when you wake...after the coffee of course!

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Jon

Lots of water, lots of sleep, and a "fatty" breakfast. At home, I usually opt for a fast-food breakfast after a hard night, but in Italy you could get a slice of pizza or something else with some grease. I'm not kidding...something about the fat content has a settling effect on a turbulent stomach. I also find that taking a zantac or tagamet with my pre-bed aspirin neutralizes some of the acidity from the vino.

Recommended by some is "hair of the dog;" waking with a bloody mary or a glass of chianti. This has never seemed appealing to me, but I have friends that swear by it.

Have a great trip,
j.

Apr 5th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Jon

In response to Just's post:
It is said that pain relievers containing acetaminophen, particularly when taken with alcohol can have a damaging effect on the liver. I find that none work better than Excedrin, and am sorry to report that it does contain this ingredient.
j.

Apr 5th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Al

When was the last time you had your blood pressure checked by your physician? You may have a problem that is agravated by wine and/or aged cheese. Discuss your tyramine levels with him/her. Be careful.

Apr 5th, 2001, 11:49 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I've seen some of those Tylenol PM studies, but was unconcerned because the only links that could be tied were to people who took a whole lot of PM (like 10 capsules a night) and drank a lot.

I generally avoid PM because I fear becoming mildly addicted to it - don't want to have sleepless nights when I haven't taken it.

A glass of water usually does me fine, or an advil in rare cases. If all else fails, more wine at lunch does the trick.

Apr 5th, 2001, 01:10 PM
mark

The cure to a hang over is never stop drinking.
Seriously - I've taken 2 aspiriin many a night after imbibing and wake up the next feeling great .

Apr 5th, 2001, 04:14 PM
liz

I am one of those lucky few who for whatever reason never seem to get a hangover while on holidays! I think it's partly a mind over matter thing, since I can't bear the thought of wasting any precious travel time because I feel like crap!
I do however follow a few basics, much like everyone elses tips:
1 drink almost 1 for 1. (If I have a glass of wine I'll have a glass of water with it. Spend alot of time at the bathroom!
2 before bed more water and 2 excedrine.
3 Wake up and have something carbonated and then a really greasy breakfast. Sounds disgusting but it works!
Relax and get ready for more!

Apr 5th, 2001, 05:03 PM
deb

Liz,

Your 3 steps are the same ones I use. My husband and I call them:

1. 1 alcohol / 1 non-alcohol

2. Big water (6 - 8 oz. at least) with aspirin at bedtime (excedrin, anacin, bayer, etc. - aspirin based products).

The above usually keeps the hangover away but if that doesn't work ...

3. Greasy breakfast (eggs & bacon with buttered toast or a burger & fries) depending on what time you wake up.

DFW 4/5/01

Apr 5th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Nano

I can always tell when my husband has a bit of a hangover, because he always orders a tuna sub at the local deli for lunch. What will he do in France?