Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Not that I'm changing my Swiss itinerary for May....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but if I were....what do you think of spending a few days in Vitznau instead of Lucerne...
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:14 PM

Why?
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

looks pretty.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:30 PM

Then do it. It is a beautiful place.
I would suggest it over Luzern, except Luzern has that fascinating transportation museum. If that museum does not appeal to you, then go to Vitznau; the Viewwaltstättersee is gorgeous and that area is in the heart of the Swiss Confederation; the land of Wilhelm Tell.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:34 PM

I'm with Bob. Why? Yea it makes a cute post card picture, but there is not much there except doing Rigi.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:05 AM
JonJon

Some people say there isn't a lot to do in Luzern, either, but I think you'll regret missing it...then again, if you never see it how would you know to regret it? You'll regret missing the abbey and library in St. Gallen, the land of Appenzell, the Lake of Constance, the spectacle of The Goms, and the list goes on and on.

Go and see as much as you can..and then go back again for more.

Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:18 AM

Hey oranget'cat,

Well along those same lines, I once stayed in Weggis instead of Luzern (I don't much care for cities). But, as Patrick says, there *really* isn't much to do there. The weather was lousy (it was Nov), so I didn't tackle the long lakeside walks I had imagined I'd take. Also because it was November, there were fewer ferries running, so getting to Luzern's train station for excursions took a lot longer (bus-and-train connections).

I realize you're going in May, not November, but still I thought I'd let you know of the possible small problems that may arise.

On the other hand, you can get more hotel (a lakeview room!) for your money.

So, I guess I'd just advise you to thoroughly research the transportation schedules for the days you'll be there and have lots of options for each day.

s
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:19 AM
jmw

orangetravelcat, you are a trip (pun intended). Don't you wish you could stay a month? I have never been to Vitznau, but S' likes Weggis. Of course, public transport will be bus or boat. Friends of mine stayed in a small hotel in Hergiswil and found it to be a good budget-minded compromise. From there they went into Lucerne quite often and also day-tripped to Lake Brienz. Morning coffee won't be the same when you've made your absolute final decision, o'cat, so take your time. jw

Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 04:38 AM

I stayed in Weggis last summer for a couple nights. I enjoyed it, but realize that in the past I've stayed in Lucerne three times for a total of probably over 2 weeks, so this is a change. Sure some little towns are lovely, but don't make the mistake of spending your first trip there by doing the small towns instead of the more major ones. The more major ones are major for a reason -- they are lovely and there's more to see and do.

It's like going to France for the first time and staying in tiny little villages which might be wonderful, but never even go to Paris. I personally think that would be a mistake. On the other hand, after you've been to France a time or two and have really "done" Paris, then doing a France trip where you only stay in villages, could be a great idea.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 05:43 AM

We stayed at the Park Hotel Vitznau last summer. Wow! What a hotel! Have stayed in Lucerne before, but got a great deal in Vitznau, and it was too good to pass up. Took the ferry back and forth to Lucerne, no problems. Especially enjoyed the "sunset cruise" coming back one evening--great dinner on the boat at sunset for an hour. Vitznau is a small town, unlike Lucerne. It's a great place to get away from it all. Go into town during the day, take a train trip to wherever, but come home to Vitznau.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 04:40 AM
jmw

Merry Christmas, orangetravelcat.

Old Dec 24th, 2003, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

And Merry Christmas to you, too, JMW - and to everyone else. Sorry, but I don't have anything new to add for you to read with your morning coffee today!