Not Grasse?

Feb 26th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Not Grasse?

Among several car trips while in Provence, I was looking forward to the Fragonnard factory tour in Grasse. I have read several posters say "don't bother." Why? I have only seen museums in Paris or around Cote d'Azure. I'd really like to see the distillery and scent blending. Is this not part of the Fragonnard tour?
Can any of you post a substitution?
On another trip, I wanted to see the Bacardi factory in San Juan- due to security, they recreated a Disney-like tour through a totally fake process. Very disappointing. Is this like Fragonnard?
Feb 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM

I enjoyed the Fragonard Grasse factory/museum tour. I visited the place on Sunday, so there was no production going on, but it was informative. I also enjoyed the museum part showing the history of the perfume.

I have also visited Molinard and Fragonard in Eze, but I enjoyed the Fragonard Grasse more.

I think the perfume factory/museum is a special interest tour, so I am not surprised that others would say not to bother. It is a small premise with a small factory/museum.
Feb 26th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Eze

As mentioned by Greg, Fragonard has also a "museum" and perfume factory in Eze village.
I feel that, when going out of Fragonard museum in Grasse, you won'thave much to see or visit in Grasse. In Eze, you can't be disappointed by the scenic position of the "village perché". Unforgettable under the sun !
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:08 PM

My husband and I found the Fragonnard factory tour in Eze very interesting also. (The shop afterwards lightened our wallets a little also!)
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Why thanks for the confirmation! I am facinated with the distillery and scent blending by "The Nose" "Le Nez" And Grasse is just next to Cannes, while the film fest is taking place. I am toying with the idea of making my way into Cannes after Grasse to celeb watch.
dena
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Celeb watch - be prepared that it may not be that easy. The city will be crowded, you will not find a place for parking, roads will be closed, congestions everywhere, security everywhere, hardly a chance to enter a bar or hotel lobby etc.

The general rule is: You must be a celebrity to watch celebrities. Or a cocaine dealer. But maybe you are lucky and you will get a second's glance of a celeb's limo.
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

To be sure. . .lol
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:59 AM

You can sample and buy perfumes at Fragonnard in Grasse but the plant is for the manufacturing of soaps. That is what you will see on the tour. Still interesting though as you will learn on the free tour things about perfume manufacturing as well. The guides at the plant are very friendly. I thought the prices for the perfume gift packs were reasonably priced.

Larry J
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Unless things have changed a lot recently, the times I've been in Cannes during the festival it was fairly easy to see celebrities. The area they are in for the few days is quite small compared to LA or New York so the opportunity to celeb spot is very probable. The Carlton bar was a big hangout for the celebrities and was easy to get into and have a drink. Even though it is usually too cold for a swim there is usually a lot of activity with photo shoots and parties on the beaches and those that have been to Cannes know how easy it is to see the beach from above on the promenade.

It's a fun time even with the traffic. Have a blast.