Norway Early September

Old Jul 9th, 2024, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway Early September

Hi, we are looking at three days in Norway the first week of September with the main goal of seeing fjords. Looking at flying into Bergen (we will be coming from Italy) and either booking through Norway in a Nutshell or renting a car and driving on our own. I'm wondering mostly about rain and fog this time of year. I see October is the rainiest month, are we likely to see a lot of rain the first week of September? How is driving through the fjords in the rain? Specifically looking at Geirangerfjord but also open to other suggestions. We will be coming from the Dolomites.

Thanks!
Old Jul 9th, 2024, 10:48 PM
mjs

I have only been to Scandinavia in the summer, last in June of 2022. In June the daylight is from around 0400-2300 so a lot of time to explore. In September its something like 0800-1900. June gets about 5 inches of rain in the month while September gets about 10. It rains a lot in Bergen and it can be very heavy. Expect better than a 50% chance of rain. There is a reason that there are a lot of waterfalls in Norway. Three days is not a lot of time for the Bergen area as Bergen itself probably requires a full day to explore. Having said that I would drive. It's easy to drive as the roads and tunnels are good and there is not much traffic outside the cities. My opinion is that just concentrating on the fjords misses most of the beauty of Norways. Geirangerford is beautiful but about a 7 hour drive from Bergen and you have 3 full days or 4 nights? Also the scenic drive to Geirangerfjord is blocked at Trollstigen for the rest of the year. There is a web site for the scenic drives of Norway which may be of some help to you. Exactly how much time do you have? When and what time will you arrive in Bergen and when will you leave? Coming from the Dolmites suggests you will not arrive in Bergen until the afternoon sometime.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you this is helpful! We will arrive the afternoon of September 1 and will not depart until September 5, so yes we will have three full days/four nights. I think I'm just second-guessing fitting Norway in with so little time and the possibility of a lot of rain, and wondering if those three days would be better spent somewhere further south.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 09:48 AM

Are you flying out of Bergen home or going to Oslo?
Bergen is wet, can be very wet, but it can also be dry and sunny, there is no way of knowing which you will get, or maybe you'll get both.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 11:38 AM
mjs

What time do you arrive in Bergen? If later in afternoon I would stay in Bergen and explore Bergen for a bit.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

We are actually going on to London so we can fly out of either city - Oslo has more nonstop options but we can do either airport.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

That's what I was thinking too! It will be later afternoon.
Old Jul 10th, 2024, 10:41 PM
mjs

Consider the following. Raddison bleu hotel Bergen upon arrival/ pleasant hotel and inexpensive. Good location and nice breakfast for about $13. Rent car early, might have to go back to airport if you want an automatic. There is a bus that goes from hotel to airport you or you can take a taxi which is not that expensive. Drive out of Bergen.

Nasjonale turistveger for scenic drive information

Consider hitting the 49 to do part of the Hardanger scenic drive. How much of it you can do will depend on your interests and time allotment. 79 eventually to Granvin, than 13 to Voss, the E16 to Flam. Take the Naeroyfjord ferry from Flam on the fjords to Gundvagen. Bus back to Flam. Takes about 2 hours and is part of the NIN. There are sailings at 1500 and 1630. Spend night in Flam. The next morning drive up the hill to the Aurlandsfjellet scenic drive with a stop at Stegastein look out than on to Laedalsoyri than perhaps the Stave church at Laerdalen. Drive the 5 than 13 to Balestrand. Spend night.The next morning drive the Gaularfjellett to Sande or Moskog than back to Bergen. There are lots of places to stop on these drives and even places for some hikes if the weather is good. There are lots of long tunnels and ferry rides. The ferry rides are easy. You just get in line and go on the ferry. Your car will have a transponder which will pay your toll.

Aurlandsfjellet