NORTHERN VS. SOUTHERN

Search

NORTHERN VS. SOUTHERN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NORTHERN VS. SOUTHERN

MY WIFE AND I ARE CELEBRATING OUR RETIREMENT WITH A TRIP TO ITALY IN MID-OCT. WE HAVE 11 DAYS TO ENJOY THE COUNTRY. TUSCANY IS A MUST FOR US, SO WE WILL SPEND 5 NIGHTS IN THAT REGION. DO WE STAY IN NORTHERN ITALY FOR 5 MORE DAYS (ONE DEPARTURE DAY FROM MILAN) OR SHOULD WE SEE SOUTHERN ITALY. WE ARE TOTALLY NEW TO THIS TRAVEL THING.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 04:51 PM

We just spent our honeymoon in Tuscany and Northern Italy. I highly recommend it! Research the cities to see what might be of most interest. In October the Cinque Terre is probably great and less crowded. Tuscany was our favorite part but we also enjoyed Venice. Maybe you can tour Tuscany, hit Venice for a few nights (include Verona if possible), end in Lake Como (see www.varenna.net) and then home through Milan!? This chat board is very helpful for research. Good luck and Ciao!
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Hi Dan,

Logistically I would stay in the north since you're leaving from Milan. There's lots of things to see and do. Italian Riviera, Cinque Terre, Venice. I'm going to the Lakes mid October for the first time. There's lots to read on this forum. Do a search and you'll come up with a giant list of "must sees."

Also, please take off your cap lock. It's very difficult to read all caps.

Enjoy your Italian adventure.

adrienne
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Your trip makes sense logistically and is an enjoyable and good introduction to Italy. That said, you will now be prepped for the enjoying the "real Italy", the south. When you return you can see Rome, Umbria and Campania.
Have a great trip, the weather should be good and you will not be faced with the crowds of summer.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:10 PM

First--as anyone who has ever traveled to Italy will tell you--you will return. Given that, enjoy Tuscany this time and plan on Southern Italy another time. These are our two favorite parts of Italy and each deserves its own time and focus. My suggestion: Spend half the time in the Montepulciano area and the other in Chianti country. Both will give you ample opportunity for day trips and exploration. You may find my website a good resource for you as you plan. Also, try Slowtrav.com for super good info on Italy. My site has both a 2001 and 2003 section. Hope it helps. This is it http://www.janeandken.com/travelmemories.html
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:16 AM

I come from North, but for your trip I suggest you to drive south to Rome and Amalfi coast (wanderful!). In october the weather is better in the south, sometimes the north gets foggy
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:44 AM

Dan, You really made your choice when you decided on Milan for departure.