ITALY LOVERS

Nov 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

ITALY LOVERS

Other than the big 3-- Rome, Venice, and Florence --
what is your FAVORITE place in Italy???
Nov 5th, 2006, 03:48 PM

That question is akin to asking someone who his favorite child is.

For me, you'd have to add Tuscany, The AC and Lake Como to the short lists - all different, all wonderful.
Nov 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Well, that's the thing...
I have been to Rome, Florence, and Venice, as well as parts of Tuscany.
If you could pick ONE favorite place, what would it be?
(I know it's hard!)
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM

From the ones I know ..Milan From the ones I know just a little bit and would like to spend more time there..Padova and Verona.
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I opt for Cinque Terre
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Ahhh Italy! One of our favorite countries! We were there again last month and we're planning to see the Lake Como area in the spring. Right now, I'd have to say our favorite is the Tuscany area.
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM

I also opt for Cinque Terre. Also, on a recent visit to Italy, my sister and I (ages 56 and 60, respectively) enjoyed the walk on the city wall of Lucca, Italy, just an hour's train ride from Florence.
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Venice.

Loved our whole trip but there is something about Venice. There is no place (at least that I know of) quite like it in the world and I loved it.
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Whoops. Was following the direction of the 3rd post, not the first.

Other than Venice, my other favorite was Conegliano & area. It's a bit of cheating because we spent a long weekend with our friend's extended family there which made the whole experience magical. However that area of the Veneto was so beautiful and not as crowded as the more popular destinations. We drove the Prosecco Road and the views were stunning & the people that we met were so friendly!
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Without a doubt, the Amalfi Coast. AHHHHH.....
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Hello PurpleNeon, your post made me "jump" as Conegliano is where a lot of my best friends in Italy live. Congegliano is like my "second home". Not to many travellers seem to be aware of this small but delightful city and the surrounding area. I have spent so many weeks there and am homesick for it. Best regards!
Nov 5th, 2006, 04:59 PM

dina4,
If you're a lover of the outdoors and natural beauty, Cinque Terra can't be beat. For history and charm the small walled city of Lucca is, I think, absolutely magical. The food in Lucca also eclipses most all of Tuscany too!!
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Tuscany and San G and Positano are tops...
Nov 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Aha, LoveItaly - that's quite neat! May I recommend Agriturismo Furlan which is run by our friend's cousins. It's a small B&B which is run in conjunction with the Furlan winery. It's outside of the city a bit but the rooms were lovely and the breakfast superb. We also enjoyed the lovely hospitality of the Furlan's - who treated us like family as well! You can see it on www.agriturismofurlan.it.

On of our friend's cousins took us on a wonderful midnight walking tour of the old parts of Conegliano (the midnight part wasn't on purpose, dinner had just gone late) which we all highly enjoyed. And while we were there in late September the family took us all to the Festa dell'Uva to celebrate the grape harvest, which was also a really neat experience.

Glad to find someone who has had similarly wonderful experiences!
Nov 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Wow. lots of great ideas.
thanks.
I was sort of trying to figure out where to go next.
I had thought Amalfi Coast, Lake Como, and Cinque Terre would dominate the discussion, but i guess not...

Nov 6th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Capri, Assisi and Milan.
Nov 6th, 2006, 02:29 AM

Sicily. A large Island that mixes Italian with Greek and Arab influences. It has great food, superb ruins and incredible churches.

As already mentioned, any o the Italian lakes in Spring.

Lucca would also get my vote. I can see why some people don't like it as it lacks the "highlights" of a Florence or Rome, but if somebody was to offer to buy me a place anywhere in Italy, Lucca would be top, or very close to top of my list.

Siena and Southern Tuscany - driving through the Chianti region, or South from Siena to Montepulciano or Montalcino is stunning.

Cilento National park - but I shouldn't have mentioned that - crowds would spoil it.
Nov 6th, 2006, 02:39 AM

Lucca is a very special place. We spent a wonderfull day there.
Nov 6th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Since having recently returned from a two week trip to Italy, one week of which was spent in Montalcino, taking day trips and then returning towards evening, I must say that the most beautiful area that I have seen in Italy is the Southern Tuscany area including Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, Montichiello, La Foce, and all the small "d'Orcia" villages in between (Castiglione d'Orcia where we had our best meal ever, Ripa d'Orcia, etc.). Definitely my new favorite spots in the world.
Nov 6th, 2006, 07:45 AM

I have many "favorite" plaes in Italy.

On our most recent trip to Italy in July 2006, we spent one day driving through the Crete Senese and the Val di Orcia (south of Siena) stopping at several villages along the way. The scenery is breathtaking with classic Tuscan scenes--hills, medieval towns, stone farmhouses, fields of sunflowers and lots of cypress trees.

Also love the Cinque Terre, Amalifi Coast and of course Venice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO